• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Agnes High School Grammar School

Yes, I remember it! I was at St Agnes' from 1966 to 1973. I was in 1W (Miss Wainwright). My name was Breda Finegan. Only one other girl from my primary school (The Rosary, Saltley) went to St Agnes the year I did and she was in 1C (Sr Chrysostom). I have seen some other replies to this, and I know it is a long time since this has been active, but I wondered if anyone out there remembers me? I remember going to Spode House (more than once) and to Bockleton Education centre on a geography field trip. I was in a school play one year playing Cuthman, 'The Boy With The Cart'. I met Sr Edwards a few years ago, she was living in Scotland. I remember Miss Wainwright, Miss Troy (Maths, who stalked the corridors in her black gown so we called her 'batman'); Mrs Trotman, Mrs Novak (Geography), Mrs Blagrove (Cookery), Mr Gray (English; wrote a book about Bob Dylan and is something of a Dylan expert); Miss Hadfield? (Art); Miss Seeney (French, she got married and I can't remember her married name); Sr Chrysostom; Sr Edward; Sr Ingrid. There are others I remember by face but not name. Pupils I remember by name: Eileen Lenihan; Janice Finlan, Anne Byrne, Catherine Hennessy, Mary Doorly, Helen O'Shea, Margaret Moulton. I do not have any photos from that time so if anyone has any form photos or a school photo I'd love to be able to see them. I remember the tennis courts and the grass and trees between it and the playground, and the lovely drive with the decorative island (with a little pond in?) at the front. Anyone got anything else to share?

Hi Brigid, You must have been one year ahead of me at Saint Agnes. Though, I do remember Helen O'Shea, we went to the same primary school, Maryvale in Kingstanding.
I do remember all those teachers you mentioned
It sure brings back a lot of memories!

Wow so many names from the past. Some of you have very good memories!
I visited Edmund Campion once and they had the old school photo circa 1968? In the reception area. I enquired about obtaining a copy as I saw my self on the back row! They never responded.
Would love to get a copy if anyone has one.
I attended the convent school from aged 4 till iit closed when I was 8.I returned to the grammar school in 1967-1972

Maria, you and I attended Saint Agnes at the same time. My name at the time was Deirdre McCullagh, do you remember me?
I was in IC, 2P, 3M, 4G2.

Maria, you and I attended Saint Agnes at the same time. My name at the time was Deirdre McCullagh, do you remember me?
I was in IC, 2P, 3M,
Hi Deirdre yes I remember you. I always thought you were very pretty! I expect you still are
How lovely to hear from you. Do you keep contact with anyone? X

Hi Deirdre yes I remember you. I always thought you were very pretty! I expect you still are
How lovely to hear from you. Do you keep contact with anyone? X
Hi Maria, are you on facebook? I've kept in touch with Mary Cruz and I've spoken with Pat Dolan a few times? What was your last name back then? Thank you for the compliment! I've lived in the USA for 40 years! Would love to hear from you too! I go by Dee McCullagh now!

Hi Maria, are you on facebook? I've kept in touch with Mary Cruz and I've spoken with Pat Dolan a few times? What was your last name back then? Thank you for the compliment! I've lived in the USA for 40 years! Would love to hear from you too! I go by Dee McCullagh now!
I was Maria Tracey at school. My friends were Norma Viles,Geraldine Moylan and Margaret McShane.
I keep in touch with Margaret and Norma usually by Xmas cards! Sadly Geraldine passed away a few years ago.
I reconnected with Maggie Kelly a couple of years ago at a Salsa night and we enjoy dancing and charity shop hunts.
What part of the states do you live in? I love visiting the USA and my former job as a travel agent gave me some great opportunities.
Find me on FB as Maria Spiers xx

Hi, delighted to find this group.
I was at Aggies from 1962 to 70 ( including one year in Mrs Thomas’ class in Juniors.).
I can’t remember first or second year form teachers, but it was Miss Parsons, Mrs Trotman after that. We had Miss Troy for maths. I did Maths, Further Maths and Physics with Angela Gregory and Amanda Scott, just the three of us in every class. We had Miss Auster in Lower Sixth for physics, then she left to ‘go to the jungle with her lover’
Very Miss Jean Brodie. We were enraptured!
Would love to get in touch with anyone from that time, especially Angela Gregory, Carole Daly, Eileen Saddington, Christine Wallington or any of the Crew who drank underage at Le Metro. Happy days!

Remember trips to Bockleton and Spode , plus a trip to Rome with Miss Troy and Mrs Trotman. Our hotel was double booked and the other school group ( a boys’ school) got there first, so we had nowhere to stay. I remember use on a coach driving round Rome looking for somewhere to say..poor teachers!

And, Sister Collette RE, Mr Singleton history, Mr Gray chemistry, Mr Sutton physics, Miss Griffiths chemistry.
Was there from 1970 to 1977.

Hi all..what a joy to find this group! I was at St Agnes from 1964 or was it 65? I started in 1C too...anyone in touch with classmates from that time? Linda Sheehy

Yes, I remember it! I was at St Agnes' from 1966 to 1973. I was in 1W (Miss Wainwright). My name was Breda Finegan. Only one other girl from my primary school (The Rosary, Saltley) went to St Agnes the year I did and she was in 1C (Sr Chrysostom). I have seen some other replies to this, and I know it is a long time since this has been active, but I wondered if anyone out there remembers me? I remember going to Spode House (more than once) and to Bockleton Education centre on a geography field trip. I was in a school play one year playing Cuthman, 'The Boy With The Cart'. I met Sr Edwards a few years ago, she was living in Scotland. I remember Miss Wainwright, Miss Troy (Maths, who stalked the corridors in her black gown so we called her 'batman'); Mrs Trotman, Mrs Novak (Geography), Mrs Blagrove (Cookery), Mr Gray (English; wrote a book about Bob Dylan and is something of a Dylan expert); Miss Hadfield? (Art); Miss Seeney (French, she got married and I can't remember her married name); Sr Chrysostom; Sr Edward; Sr Ingrid. There are others I remember by face but not name. Pupils I remember by name: Eileen Lenihan; Janice Finlan, Anne Byrne, Catherine Hennessy, Mary Doorly, Helen O'Shea, Margaret Moulton. I do not have any photos from that time so if anyone has any form photos or a school photo I'd love to be able to see them. I remember the tennis courts and the grass and trees between it and the playground, and the lovely drive with the decorative island (with a little pond in?) at the front. Anyone got anything else to share?
Hi, I was also there 1966-1973. French teacher was Mrs Boaz as I recall and she was my form teacher in the first year (I think). Sr Mary Ingrid was head, all the rest also all Sr Mary something or other. Sr Mary Mildred must've been in her 70s, she taught speech and drama. Sr Mary Edwards taught English and was tiny. I remember dropping to one knee every day for the Angelus at 12.
History teacher had long blond hair and used to get dropped off in her boyfriend's sports car. We once watched a documentary about the making of Honey magazine for an entire history lesson. I do actually have a whole school photo probably from the late 1960s. Anyone remember Teresa Psonka, Angela Dubrowski Marian Fisher, Maggie Farrington?
I was Moira Wood and they were without a shadow of a doubt the worse days of my life.

Moirae, sorry to hear that! I loved the place! When I started it was a private school, it became a grammar school in third year. We mostly clung on to the old uniform with the striped blazer, though I would have loved a blue sweater. The lunches improved after the takeover though, they were dire before; sausages seemed to feature daily, except on Friday when it was fish fingers. There was always a palaver with dinner tickets; they had to be bought at the office on a Monday morning and you were obliged to stand at the counter and write your name on them under scrutiny.
I remember Sr Edwards for English, she was a great teacher. I remember one day she brought in our new class play ‘Pygmalion’, which of course is the book which the musical ‘My Fair Lady’ was based on. She assigned parts, saying she would read Eliza Doolittle. It was a revelation! Her Cockney accent was amazing and we were hooked on the play within minutes.
i do hope more people find this forum; Jean Flackett? Jo Maloney? It’s so hard to track people down from that era as most changed our names on marriage.

Hi Brigid, You must have been one year ahead of me at Saint Agnes. Though, I do remember Helen O'Shea, we went to the same primary school, Maryvale in Kingstanding.
I do remember all those teachers you mentioned
It sure brings back a lot of memories!
Hello Dee, I never really got to know anyone outside my own form really, let alone in years above and below. (Although I think I remember someone called Maisie who was going to be an actress?) But I’m loving seeing all these names again! We will have travelled in completely different bus routes home as I lived nearer the city centre, in Alum Rock. I hope all is well with you? Just in the last few months I’ve reconnected with Helen and another girl from my St Agnes’ class… but I think that may have been on another, dedicated St Agnes, forum.

Hi, I was also there 1966-1973. French teacher was Mrs Boaz as I recall and she was my form teacher in the first year (I think). Sr Mary Ingrid was head, all the rest also all Sr Mary something or other. Sr Mary Mildred must've been in her 70s, she taught speech and drama. Sr Mary Edwards taught English and was tiny. I remember dropping to one knee every day for the Angelus at 12.
History teacher had long blond hair and used to get dropped off in her boyfriend's sports car. We once watched a documentary about the making of Honey magazine for an entire history lesson. I do actually have a whole school photo probably from the late 1960s. Anyone remember Teresa Psonka, Angela Dubrowski Marian Fisher, Maggie Farrington?
I was Moira Wood and they were without a shadow of a doubt the worse days of my life.
So sorry to hear that Moira. I don’t remember being particularly happy there but in my case it was better than being at home, sad to say . From my vantage point now (just got my pension and bus pass) I can see that it was a privileged existence and they were on the whole enlightened and benign unlike some of my primary school teachers. I know it’s rose tinted spectacles and all that, but I enjoy recalling those times. I hope all is well now?

Hey so we would have been there at the same time ☺️ but either my memory is failing me or we just seemed to get to know our own class 1C…my experience was good in parts but think that was down to me trying to be a ‘cool’ teenager in the 60’s - never achieved it and would have been better to have just enjoyed myself but that’s hindsight. I remember Philomena Romney, Marian Moriarty, Lucy Gough and loads of others first names … oooh and Helen Slattery. Many years after school I worked with someone who went to school in Stoke and Sister Mary Edward (small and fierce feminist) had been her headteacher. Someone told me that Sr Mary Ingrid left the order and became Sonia Swann…have I jogged anyone else’s memory?

Back