• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sprint Buses

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
I see from the local news feed I get that three limited stop tram like buses are coming to the city for the commonwealth games, presumably the dates and locations given in the article are not actual route start ups, but just showing the vehicles and the routes. Who is going to run them as they are blue presumably the same people as the trams.
Bob

Look similar to what in London and Leeds were called bendy buses. Pretty unpopular I gather, though never travelled on them, even though they could bend, they were restricted on which routes they could goon by the length

Look similar to what in London and Leeds were called bendy buses. Pretty unpopular I gather, though never travelled on them, even though they could bend, they were restricted on which routes they could goon by the length
These are different to Bendys, which of course West Midlands had - Scanias on the 67 Castle Vale route. These really look like the trams, I think they were on a Birmingham Mail release . They are also the same colour as tram 31. Google Birmingham Sprint Buses and there is the full detail.
Bob

There were similar buses in York I believe. I haven't visited the city lately so I can't say if they still run.
https://www.tfwm.org.uk/development/sprint/

I get the impression that these buses and routes are being introduced for the Commonwealth Games 2022. Maybe this should be in that new thread. (bias of course ;))
You are correct. They were introduced in York as ftr and withdrawn in 2012. They were Wright street trams. Wikipedia has a big article on them
Bob

Back