• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

Ah Reg WILLIAMS, dad passed away in 1985, mom still alive but has dementia. Ice hockey still carried on in family though, I play rec hockey at Telford and my son plays U11 for Telford.
Sadly dad died 1987 only 57 had massive heart attack and mom died 2012 after suffering dementia

Hi anyone from the Birmingham ice rink 1957 to 1963
I was 6/7 years old when I started skating at summerhill road. My uncle Eddie used to take me every Friday and Sunday afternoons. He was an invalid and used to lean against the wall next to the cafe. I've got photos and I'll try and get them on here but I'm not brilliant at technology. I learnt to rock and roll from the most brilliant man Albert Tomkinson. He's probably long gone now but I still love jiving and I owe it all to him. Also a young man of the day used to turn up in his Royal Air force uniform and do the butterfly with me. I used to be very friendly with someone called Peggy and her family when Cliff was top of the charts with Living Doll. I loved my time at summerhill so if anyone remembers those times, please get in touch and perhaps we could up at an ice rink somewhere. Jane Crisp as was then x

hi jane and welcome...we have a massive thread for this ice rink...loads of memories and photos on it...click on the link below to take you to it...ps make sure you read the thread from post 1 so that you do not miss anything

lyn

Hi anyone from the Birmingham ice rink 1957 to 1963
I was 6/7 years old when I started skating at summerhill road. My uncle Eddie used to take me every Friday and Sunday afternoons. He was an invalid and used to lean against the wall next to the cafe. I've got photos and I'll try and get them on here but I'm not brilliant at technology. I learnt to rock and roll from the most brilliant man Albert Tomkinson. He's probably long gone now but I still love jiving and I owe it all to him. Also a young man of the day used to turn up in his Royal Air force uniform and do the butterfly with me. I used to be very friendly with someone called Peggy and her family when Cliff was top of the charts with Living Doll. I loved my time at summerhill so if anyone remembers those times, please get in touch and perhaps we could up at an ice rink somewhere. Jane Crisp as was then x

I went there a couple of times with my sister as a nipper. Late 50's early 60's you would have seen me and another young man walking around in my St John Ambulance uniform on . Literally wetting myself in case anything went wrong , I kept thinking if something does happen will I be able to help , will I remember what to do ??

Can you remember any names of those you watched? & was it Saturdays or Wenesdays you went
as we used to have inter club races on Wed; & inter Rink maches on Sat;
Do you now any one or as any one on this site got any Pics of the old springhill rink. I remember they used to sell post cards at the rink of the building. I had one once but when I got married and moved to Sutton it got lost along will all my Autograph books :'(.
Help please :-[ ASTON
Can you remember any names of those you watched? & was it Saturdays or Wenesdays you went
as we used to have inter club races on Wed; & inter Rink maches on Sat;
Do you now any one or as any one on this site got any Pics of the old springhill rink. I remember they used to sell post cards at the rink of the building. I had one once but when I got married and moved to Sutton it got lost along will all my Autograph books :'(.
Help please :-[ ASTON
Hi is your uncle Alan still alive .I went on holiday to Switzerland in the 50s with Vincent and played ice hockey with him in the Birmingham Barons.

Sadly dad died 1987 only 57 had massive heart attack and mom died 2012 after suffering dementia
High Triciawilliams my name is Keith Jenney I played Hockey with your Dad at Birmingham rink & Solihull with the Barons. One of his mates was a guy named Art Hambridge.
If you have any photos in your dads collection please post.
ps I am the guy second left front row in this club .photo

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1609710594318.jpg
    FB_IMG_1609710594318.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 16
My Grandfather William West better known as Bill West was involved in the Mohawks speed skating club and Birmingham Barons Ice Hockey team in the 1936/1950’s.

I was wondering if anyone knew him or had any old photos

My Grandfather William West better known as Bill West was involved in the Mohawks speed skating club and Birmingham Barons Ice Hockey team in the 1936/1950’s.

Hi Ben, I knew your Grandfather and remember him well. He donated a trophy know as the 'West Cup' which we used to compete for. I'm sure there is a photo of him somewhere in this thread. There is an index to some photos in post #414
oldmohawk ... :)

High Triciawilliams my name is Keith Jenney I played Hockey with your Dad at Birmingham rink & Solihull with the Barons. One of his mates was a guy named Art Hambridge.
If you have any photos in your dads collection please post.
ps I am the guy second left front row in this club .photo
Keith I remember Dad mentioning your name from his days at Springhill along with Art. Below is couple with Dad in and Mom, Dad also did alot of cycling. Last picture was 1953 at Earlswood.

Attachments

• 20210313_224003.jpg
    20210313_224003.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 20210313_223402.jpg
    20210313_223402.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Hi Ben, I knew your Grandfather and remember him well. He donated a trophy know as the 'West Cup' which we used to compete for. I'm sure there is a photo of him somewhere in this thread. There is an index to some photos in post #414
oldmohawk ... :)
My brother came second in the West Cup I think it was about 1970.

In this photo Bill West is 4th from right in the front row. I'm 3rd from left in the middle row.
The bham mohawks Trophy 1.jpg

In this photo he is 4th from left in the back row.
birminghambaronsgrimsby1949 (1).jpg

Also in this photo on Wyndley Pool Sutton Park
WyndleyPool1950s.jpg
edit ... 3rd photo added

Last edited:
Some Photos

Attachments

• B8B50F59-6363-4283-BDFB-0B765435AD86.jpeg
    B8B50F59-6363-4283-BDFB-0B765435AD86.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 5043A856-0CC0-4D4B-8B1A-5E5EA8632629.jpeg
    5043A856-0CC0-4D4B-8B1A-5E5EA8632629.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 11
I used to ice skate at Spring Hill Dave, did they close ithe ice rink down :?: I couldn't do any of the fancy stuff mind, I was lucky if I managed to get round a corner without falling over.On Monday night they had speed skating, and we all stood and watched teams of the glorious youth of the day in tight black suits. 8)
I used to skate at spring hill and had lessons with mr vickers and also a miss lavickski they I think moved to Bearwood ice rink when spring hill closed and Bearwood opened. Bearwood was a cinema and was converted to an ice rink by a man called ossi Osbourne and Janet Sawbridge skated on the opening night

Off topic, Bearwood ice rink is now in a very sorry state after being used for other purposes. I had many happy times there, and at Spring Hill.
rosie.

Back