• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

Ah Reg WILLIAMS, dad passed away in 1985, mom still alive but has dementia. Ice hockey still carried on in family though, I play rec hockey at Telford and my son plays U11 for Telford.

Glad it jogged the the memory cells. Dad often talked of his time at Birmingham, still have one of his hockey sticks and his skates.

Ah Reg WILLIAMS, dad passed away in 1985, mom still alive but has dementia. Ice hockey still carried on in family though, I play rec hockey at Telford and my son plays U11 for Telford.

thats a smashing wedding photo of your parents ian and its lovely to know that ice hockey has continued in your family

all the best

lyn

I used to ice skate at Spring Hill Dave, did they close ithe ice rink down :?: I couldn't do any of the fancy stuff mind, I was lucky if I managed to get round a corner without falling over.On Monday night they had speed skating, and we all stood and watched teams of the glorious youth of the day in tight black suits. 8)
yes it became a roller rink. it was in the 60s

Hi MohawkBrave,
I certainly trained at the ice rink on Sunday mornings and here is a Sunday morning pic and as you will see we are both in the pic.
oldmohawk
mh.jpg

[/QUOTE
A new member her mainly because of one person that was very close to me.I will cut a long story short but I'd been ice skating down to the Solihull Ice rink with my girlfriend and I had mentioned it to my nan as she use to ice skate a small but but more that her husband which was my granddad.This person to name was Vincent turner and after digging around I came across this thread and many name I had mentioned to my nan she remembers pretty well.they did both skate at springhill but went to soilhull in the late 50s and early 60s.I've still more to write but I'm at work.really good to see photos of my granddad and his mates as he had died a few yrs ago.gone but not forgotten!

Also to add,I know the thread is pretty old now but I thought I'd mention as I do like to look back at history esp when it's to do with family.

Also to add,I know the thread is pretty old now but I thought I'd mention as I do like to look back at history esp when it's to do with family.
Hi Chrisc
Welcome to the forum.
I certainly remember Vincent Turner and am sorry to hear he has passed away. The link below would lead you to some photos of the old ice rink.

Click on some of the images and they open a forum post. It is a pdf file so can be saved in your device.

There is a Silver Blades thread here

oldmohawk ... :)

Last edited:
Hi oldmohawk,

No thats ok he was a good man and a straigh up and honest.well he and my nan met over at the ice rink,she was Janet,and then also my parents had met over at the new ice rink that was back then silver blades in the 80s,I then started to go in the 90s for a good few yrs untill it had burnt down.I did enjoy the speed sessions though.
vicent was good friends with mike Johnstone who then moved to Weston supermare but he has also died yr later after my grandad,they kept in touch though.

Hello John,
Thinking back I cannot remember the exact date Mecca closed the rink for ice skating but it was around 1962/1963. I do remember that when Mecca built the new Silver Blades Ice Rink they would only allow figure skates to be used in general sessions and so everyone using hockey skates either stopped skating or had to go to Solihull Ice Rink.
Mecca initially did not want ice speed skating at their shiny new ice rink, but eventually asked the Mohawks to race at Silver Blades and we said we would provided they also allowed hockey skates to be used.
Eventually Mecca asked us to take part in skating exhibitions on opening nights at their Silver Blades in Bristol, Bradford, and Sheffield.
The best ice speed skater during my time was Jack Dymock who raced for Aldwych based at Richmond Ice Rink.

Click on the pic below and it will take you to a large gallery of photos and a click on a video in the gallery will show him racing at Richmond.
Apologies if you have already looked at the photos but some of them show me and others named.
Best wishes
Phil

p
s. The gallery images were assembled on a wide screen computer and may not fully show on iPads and small screens but if a part of a image can be seen a click will enlarge it.
Hi OldMohawk, I've finally got round to looking back and found this "site". I was a Mohawk at Silver Blades & "raced" against Jack Dymock also ? Tipper (I think his sister also raced ?) All three representing Richmond . Old Mohawks I remember ! Dave Boddington, Dave Hampton, John Swindell, Clive & Stuart Pass, Sid & son John ?Pritchard ? , Eric & ? brother Grinsel, and flatteringly Phil Ridgway.

Hi OldMohawk, I've finally got round to looking back and found this "site". I was a Mohawk at Silver Blades & "raced" against Jack Dymock also ? Tipper (I think his sister also raced ?) All three representing Richmond . Old Mohawks I remember ! Dave Boddington, Dave Hampton, John Swindell, Clive & Stuart Pass, Sid & son John ?Pritchard ? , Eric & ? brother Grinsel, and flatteringly Phil Ridgway.
Hi MohawkStill Here,
Welcome to the forum. I remember most of the names you mention. I have repaired the failed picture link in post#469 which you quoted. There is a Pathe film of Jack Dymock racing see below.

and a Silver Blades thread if you have not already seen it ..

Hi MohawkStill Here,
Welcome to the forum. I remember most of the names you mention. I have repaired the failed picture link in post#469 which you quoted. There is a Pathe film of Jack Dymock racing see below.

and a Silver Blades thread if you have not already seen it ..
Hi again, can you tell me how to find a particular "post" ie- post#469
Sid & Son (John) was in fact Ashmoor, also was there another Grinsel brother ? Bob ?

Hi again, can you tell me how to find a particular "post" ie- post#469
Sid & Son (John) was in fact Ashmoor, also was there another Grinsel brother ? Bob ?
Hi, there are ways of finding particular posts but long explanation needed. You can find all the thread's inserted photos using the search as below. Type the word attach with search set to this thread. For technical reasons the word coppermine instead of attach is needed to find some photos on a different part of the server. Some forum links were broken in a forum upgrade and I repair them as when I find them. Later today I will use the forum's private messaging system to contact you.
Image1.jpg

Back