• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

Only just seen this post is that your dad Eric Grinsell ? ask him if he remembers Keith Jenney we skated together back in the late 50s .If I am correct please wish him well from me All the very best.

[video=youtube;U7YKgii7Q9g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U7YKgii7Q9g#t=15[/video]
Try this in your back yard Springhill oldies lol

hi keith i love that video..i watched it a few times when it was first made...my thing was rollar skating but i think its great that you can still do it i could never get the hang of ice skating...brill and fair play to you..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi all you old skaters from the old Birmingham rink Hope you are all well. about time we had some more posts there must be more photos out there we have not seen
Regards THE BARON

Hi all you old skaters from the old Birmingham rink Hope you are all well. about time we had some more posts there must be more photos out there we have not seen
Regards THE BARON

now heres a tale from those old days. Eric Grinsell had a younger brother called Bobby Grinsell. He was going out out with a girl called Pat Harrison. She was secretary of Nottingham speed skaters supporters club. For some reason they finished and I ended up going with her for two years. I was skating for the Mohawks. Lost touch when I went north to become Assistant Manager at Manchester Ice Rink 1966. Often wondered what happened to her. She was a lovely girl. However like all of us she ll be abit older now !
Phil Duncan.

Shame I have no photo's, just wonderful memoires of skating at Spring Hill Ice Rink on Wednesday nights and Sunday's. A good friend in the Mohawks and some very close friends at the time. Incidentally, I still have the original ice skates.

Hi whats your name as I see Arthur from time to time Iam sure he would like to know who you are
REGARDS
Keith

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any photos of the rink, particularly the ice dancing sessions, in the 30s or 40s.

My mum-in-law Rene Taylor (nee Bocock) will be 100 next week and her fondest memories are of her skating days.She met her late Husband Don Taylor at the rink, having tried out quite a few male partners previously and found most of them to be shorter than her! They achieved their bronze medal together but Don didn't want to go further, probably because it took some of the fun out of it.

I think I've found them both in the far bottom right of the 'National Anthem' photo (Post #118 and Gallery #414) which thrilled her enormously but she is convinced that numerous photos were taken of them in competitions and other times.

Otherwise, is there somewhere else I should look for information?

Many thanks for any help,

Joyce

Hello Joyce,
Welcome to the forum. I think we have found just about every photo of the old ice rink as you may have seen from comments in various posts in the thread. Has your mum-in-law got any which you could scan and upload ?
Best wishes
oldmohawk

Afraid not but I'll upload some of Taylor Brothers Works (her husband's family firm of brass founders) plus some Tom Downing etchings {her great-uncle who she remembers personally). But it will have to wait until the birthday fever is over!

Thanks for your reply, Joyce

Tell your Dad Keith Jenney says get them pics scanned as we would love to see even more old memories on the topic Regards to your dad ( Many happy memories of Eric Grinsall )
Great photo of Grinsell brothers. I hadn't seen this one, my dad (Eric) has many pics but is not online.

Any chance we could see any pic's Emma ? (Eric get looking in the old photo box lol )
Tell your Dad Keith Jenney says get them pics scanned as we would love to see even more old memories on the topic Regards to your dad ( Many happy memories of Eric Grinsall )

Great Facebook site Guy's keep the good work & pic's rolling .only hope there are still folks out there who have yet to post on The Old rink ;0)

You've just transported me back a long way. I used to go skating at Spring Hill in a pair of skates a size too small (so my feet were numb before I got on the ice) and a short circular sticky-out skirt. No tights so I had blue legs all the time I was there! This must've been around the start of the 1960's. I loved the feeling of whizzing round on the ice. We went to have a look at the Christmas Rink in Centenary Square. The children had penguins to hold on to - wonder if they do adult ones?

Hi Keith, nice to see you back. I don't think there are many members on here who remember the rink as it was for ice skating. It was a long time ago but we have our memories and also the few photos we took and we still have our badges on show in each post !
Have a look click/here to refresh those memories !
Phil ... :)

Last edited:
Hi Phil,I not only met Pete Jennings at Art's funeral Frank Madley's daughter was also there, she has promised to email me some more old photo's (hopefully ) so we may see more old faces from our past

Back