• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

Postie, I realised after I had posted that it was probably french chalk, as you get older you know what you want to say but can't always get the name or phrase quite right - you see it will happen to you too.

Sylvia it happens to Postie all the time but he don't admit it:D

I like all your memories of Springhill skating rink. After seeing Sonja Henie ( remember her) on the many films she made, I decided i was going to be the next Skating star, i even talked my Mum into buying me the white kid boots from the rink shop, all £3-10s worth, i even got some lessons from the Rink Tutor. But i think my legs went the wrong way once to often and my bottom never recovered from frost bite. Anyway i suddenly found boys were more interesting. Happy Days

Came across this Site, thought I'd try a reply
I used to race for the Mohawks in the 50's and 60's against teams such as Aldwych, Nottingham, and others.
We had many good away trips to race Aldwych at Richmond Ice Rink.
My speed skates are still in the loft !
I have quite a few photos of the full Mohawks club with many of the members named.
If anyone wants to see what their now elderly relatives looked like at the rink then I could email or post copies.
I remember the manager Cecil Woodward shouting 'slowdown' to those of us speeding in the general sessions.
Three catches and you were barred for two weeks, so off to Nottingham for those weeks.
One night, parts of the inner roof started to fall in and they had to close for two weeks to remove it.
New Years Eve nights at the rink were great.
I think the owner of the rink was James Easton, he used to park his Bentley near the front entrance.
Sometimes, with our skates still on, we used to sneak across the road to the pub !
I remember skating on the car park one icy winter.
I always thought the rink was in Summer Hill rather than Spring Hill.
When the rink closed I never really liked the move to the Silver Blades Rink in central Birmingham.
It was a nice rink but lacked atmosphere. It did have the Heartbeat club upstairs.
Solihull had a nice ice rink, is it still there ?
Eventually I got married and had to concentrate on a career so the skating stopped.
My last skating experience was in Ilfracombe in the 70's , where some small theater had a plastic 'ice' surface.
I showed-off my speed skating ability to my son and some of the locals !

Last edited:
Hi Old Mohawk,

Good to hear from you, I also went to Spring Hill ice rink in the 50's & also used to sneak across the road, via the door by the shop, to the pub across the road, what decadence!!, the group I hung around with always sat in the corner by the entrance. Did you ever go to Wyndley Pool in Sutton during the winter when it was frozen?? I would love to see your photo's.

Cheers
Bigland

Do you to Guys have names? I would love to swop memories of the old rink days.
You can send me a PM with any you have or post them on this forum.
love to hear from you both.
Is this the corner of the rink you used by the shop(This is some of the early Barons I.H.C members "with me looking on" setting up the rink for our first Hockey match, when Mr Butcher managed he rink)
ASTON

I like Di went the the Springhill ice skating rink - didn't do any of the fancy stuff either - Ballroom dancing was my forte. . .

Hi Aston
I'm a "gal" not a "guy" but more of an "old gal" now! I was going to the rink mainly from 1951-1956 I was I was about 14 when I first went, (now do your instant maths) Wed, Fri & Sat Were our usual nights plus sometimes on a Mon night. I have attempted to send a photo with this message but not sure if I have got it right! if I have I am the one on the left.

Cheers
Bigland

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the PM & the photo OLDMOHAWK. Why not post it on this topic I am sure the faces will bring back memories to the keen skaters at SUMMER HILL (You had that right) Spring hill was just down the road by the Swan works.
I will email you ASAP with some of my Pics with faces Iam sure you will know.
ASTON

Piccies

Hi Bigland,
I'm sorting out my Mohawk pics, here are two of them as I get used posting. The 1st pic is of the full club on a Sunday morn, I'm far right 1st row. The 2nd (not so clear) is a cup win on snowy ice. I saw your photo - takes me back to the 50's.
I've attempted to send the photos, hope it works ! Now reposted with new system Oct 2011
MOHAWKS_mid__1950_s.jpg

Mohawks_Cup Win.jpg

Regards
oldMohawk

Last edited:
Hi oldMohawk
looks like you have had the same problem as me with photo's, took me ages to get it right, I have been trying to remember the names of some "Mohawks" the only one I can bring to mind at the moment is Ray Clegg, even then, I am not sure if I have got it right, does it ring any bells with you?

Cheers
Bigland

You got that name spot on bigland Ray Clegg did indeed race with the Mohawks,I bet when you see the pic oldmohawk is trying to post you will know even more faces.
ASTON

Hi Aston,
I'm not sure whether this replies to you, but you may see that 2 pics have appeared in a post, but only one of the pictures was relevant, the post message is'nt in line with the pics. I'm surprised to see the Notts pic because I'd sent it in a PM to bigland. Never mind I'm still learning !
Regards
oldMohawk

Bigland - I started skating in 1953, having lessons with Ken Vickers and Miss Thomson. We were those that studiously did our figures for an hour. Then we went onto our free skating or dance lessons before the general skating. Everyone would be behind the barriers just waiting to race around the rink when we had finished. We would stay sometimes just have a bit of fun.
I remember Mr Woodward and the old Sergent who kept us all in order.
I had to go on two buses to get there, like most people I guess. :) Mo

Hi oldmohawk, I have all your pics sent by email & have emailed back with some of my own,just keep trying as Rod says & you will get the hang of it. if you would like I could post what you have sent to me for you? ( but I think it would be best if you managed to master it)
They were great pics so many memories flood back, I think I can even smell that old dank cold mist that used to flote over the ice just after it had been resurfaced by that old jeep & plough ( the times we spent after midnight trying to get that jeep started in order to plough sweep & get the ice ready for sunday morning) ALL AFTER A HARD TRAINING SESSION
I feel shatterd just thinking about it.
ASTON

Hi Sakura

i first webt to the rink with my friend Ann, I was about 15, used to hire those old brown figure skates, eventually bought our own from a shop in Cherry Street, can't remember the name of it but I'm sure someone can,
then as all the lads I mied with had hockeys I sold my figures to another friend, Pearl, & bought myself a pair of hockeys. It was like having to learn to skate all over again! I do remember when the dancing session was on that was when we went into the cafe or over the road to the pub. I lived in Rednal at the time, so caught 2 buses to get there but walked into town when the rink closed to Navigation Street for the bus home.

bigland, I think the shop you mean in Cherry st was Grenvilles (may not be right spelling) Same shop I had my first Hockey Skates from "Fagan with CCM blades if my memory is correct.
My first Hockey gloves come from Lilly White & Frouds (this also may not be how its spelt) bottom Corporation St & Steelhouse Lane.
First Hockey stick came from the old Harringay Arena, on one of our many trips to see the Nottingham PANTHERS v RACERS matches, cost me all of 10/- (thats 50p in todays money) 1/3 0f my weeks wages at that time.

THE MEMORIES ARE JUST FLOOING BACK NOW HAVING SEEN OLDMOHAWK'S PHOTOS & THANKS TO YOU GUYS.
ASTON

Hi Aston,
Here is the picture I tried to send to bigland the other night. The Mohawks won the Murphy Trophy, looking rather happy about it. One Mohawk was wounded and the missing name in the photo is John Woodward.
The Nottingham Ice Rink picture is shown because most skaters in it were 'Brummies' banned from B'ham Ice Rink for a month for speeding in general sessions. Discipline was tough in those days, but we were very keen and went up to Notts on Weds and Sats nights for a month.

NottsIce1.jpg

Above photo 'improved' in 2014 with colour added as I remember it ....
Notts1954.jpg

Murphy_cup_late 50's.jpg

Last edited:
Hi aston,
Heres another pic of the Birmingham Mohawks Ice Racing Club showing off their trophies. The Frank Madeley I knew is 3rd from left front row.
Denis Blundell and his dad are in the centre. I bought skates from Grenvilles in Cherry St. A post from Sakura made me remember the Sergeant smart in his uniform. I have got a pic of the full dance club standing in front of the balcony. I'll try posting it so Sakura can see it, because it seems she was one of the graceful ice dancers. I think there were 3 general sesssions with the middle one skating the oppposite direction just to keep our legs the same length !
Cheers
oldmohawk
The_bham_mohawks_Trophy_1.jpg

Would love to see the photo OldMowhawk, I might remember some of them. Although it is a long time ago now, I am not sure mt memory is as good as I think it is.:) Mo

Back