• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

This is a photo my friend gave me she thinks it's about 1952 at Springhill Ice Rink. Hope someone recognises themselves.
Jenny_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I skated there in 1952 and the nice photo brings back memories from long ago. The ice dance club had regular children's parties and fancy dress. Thinking back it cost 2/- (10p) to get in the rink.

Here is another the same year. Apparently Robin Cousins is on one of the photo's but I don't know where.

Jenny_2.jpg

The missing one is John Woodcock
Yes you are correct about my name and I knew you as the youngest of three brothers. After I put the names in that photo I remembered John's surname after I posted it. I also noticed that I had Barry Casserley's name wrong, but have got it correct in another photo - such a long time ago! Looking at today's speed skating in the Olympics I notice the barriers are padded, the ice is perfect for each race, and they wear gloves and helmets. Looking at the ice we skated on in some of my photos, it is more like frozen slush on pavements and I remember falling on rough dry ice gave nasty grazes. These days it all looks so professional and in comparison I suppose we were amateurs, but maybe we had more fun.

Thanks Phil, trust you are good. Not sure you know but Brian passed away over 10 years ago now. That was the last time I saw or heard from Eric, at Brian's funeral. John Woodcock was Brian's brother in law. If your on Facebook please feel free to check me out. Kindest regards Bob Grinsell. PS: I can't ever remember you falling. You were the original 'pocket rocket'

Hello Bob - Yes I did know about Brian, I think it was mentioned somewhere in the thread. Nice to see your pic. Have a look at the post if you haven't already done so. As you are probably aware all the forum pics before Oct 2011 were lost in a hack attack.
Phil

Last edited:
Former Mowhawk (Bob) - Brian Grinsell actually died over 20 years ago. Yes that was the last time we saw or heard of you too, I was 18.

Hi Phil, I am back ? One more Ex Mohawk passed way last week Ron Saddler, skated with both the Mohawks 1940s & the Birmingham Barons IHC 1960s this info past to me via Art Hambrige. Hope you are keeping well Regards Keith.

morning mowhwk ;
My old friend pete whom was with the skating team whom i see quite often every week i will memntionion it to him
about ron sadlers death tonight as i will be seeing him
Incidently do you or any other member of the skating fans at the rink or ladywoodites
recall a man whom spent seven days and nights for charity on top of the building in a barrel for charity
I lived around the corner in kingedwards rd and seen him up there
does anybody knows what charity he did it for i wonder how he managed his toileties needs
does anybody recall his name
best wishes Astonian; alan;;;

Hello Alan - Have a look at the forum post here there is a pic of him in his barrel...and in the other post there is a link to a Pathe Film of him.
oldmohawk (phil)

Last edited:
Hi phil
many thanks for that its a cracking picture
we used to walk around every day to see if he stood the pace and at week ends my mates and myself
would stand for about twenty minutes and he would be shouting aloud as we could to him
i do not think he could actualy under stand what we was shouting but he would wave back to us
we all thought from day one he would not survive the couple of nights but he proved us wrong
after all it was a good course yeh; lets face it though that barrel was not much bigger than those old cheese barrels
from the old days ;the ones they delivered cheese in for grocers after the war
and they would dig it ouit and used a cheese wire to cut you a block off along with the butter patters
when you bought butter and put it on scales
my old mate was a butter packer at old wrensons we used to take the micky out of him in the pub ;
have a good dfay phil and thanks again for the info; alan; astonian;;

Went ot ice rink on Thursday afternnons and on Sat Night Used to tip toe out acctrs the road to the PUB Had to pass inspection so the doorman could see that you did not have hired skates on. Also went roller skating at athe Embassy and met my wife Audrey there....... Thursday aftern00ns wer a day off from work as BSA was on short time due to Cranfords of Smathwick who made mudguards being on Strike so BSA could not keep working full time without enough mudguards coming thru. Would have to be 1948 or 1949 Got married in 1951 Old Joe

Back