• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

I've added a few more photos and a video link in the photo album in post #414. Spring Hill Ice Rink closed half a century ago so maybe there are no more photos.
If you skated there or knew someone who did, then click on the photo below. Scroll down the album if you view it - there are a few forum 'oldies' looking young in the album.

Last edited:
Just relived the good old day again Phil,reviwed this thread ,you know we had some great Pic's posted so the old ring will never be forgoten& that goes for you guys& gall who had fun with in those walls ;0)
Hope all is well with you Phill?

Read the post to Al and he thanks you. He still asks me if I still have his skates - Also he tells his day centre that he goes skating in the park each year - Ah.!!!!!!! Miriam.

Hi Keith - I think we have seen all the possible Ice Rink pics from those far off days when we were young and fit. I played with my three young grandchildren yesterday - it was fun but I'm exhausted, then on the M62 my sat nav suddenly decides it can't see any satellites so I missed a turning and had a tour of Manchester outskirts - so it was back to using my old brain looking at road signs to get home - like we used to years ago.
Phil...:encouragement:

lol Phil I offten get my sat Nav telling me "TURN ROUND WHEN POSSIBLE" When I go on what I think is a better route, pleased to hear you are well & doing what most granfolks do best,we had good training for this in our days of team workouts keeping us kit for later life lol.

ALL the very best to all skaters from the old days at our old rink ;0)

Hello "old mohawk"
"The baron" told me to ask you this question as I cannot find the answer.When did spring hill ice rink actually close? I stared skating there aged 13 (1956) saturday mornings then progressed to Wednesday and Saturday nights.
I remember the closing down party which i attended with my girl friend and seem to recall it was about early 1963,is that correct?.
do you remember, an old mohawk,Martin Upcott. we worked together at Gec witton in the drawing office and that is also where I got to know THe Baron (keith jenny)
When we watched the racing on Saturday nights there was one mohawk who everybody cheered for.he always seemed to win and was the fastest bloke on to blades i have ever seen,his name was Phil ?,are you he " I had a trial for the Mohawks one Sunday morning but failed by a few seconds,the ice was bone dry and was cut up,(or was it because I smoked to much) I thought I was good and seemed to skate fast especially at closing down time when the ice was wet,I was one of the lads who always stayed on untill the ice cleaners blocked the way.
Hope you can help Phil
John hughes

Hello John,
Thinking back I cannot remember the exact date Mecca closed the rink for ice skating but it was around 1962/1963. I do remember that when Mecca built the new Silver Blades Ice Rink they would only allow figure skates to be used in general sessions and so everyone using hockey skates either stopped skating or had to go to Solihull Ice Rink.
Mecca initially did not want ice speed skating at their shiny new ice rink, but eventually asked the Mohawks to race at Silver Blades and we said we would provided they also allowed hockey skates to be used.
Eventually Mecca asked us to take part in skating exhibitions on opening nights at their Silver Blades in Bristol, Bradford, and Sheffield.
The best ice speed skater during my time was Jack Dymock who raced for Aldwych based at Richmond Ice Rink.

Click on the pic below and it will take you to a large gallery of photos and a click on a video in the gallery will show him racing at Richmond.
Apologies if you have already looked at the photos but some of them show me and others named.
Best wishes
Phil

The gallery images were assembled on a wide screen computer and may not fully show on iPads and small screens but if a part of a image can be seen a click will enlarge it.[/I]

Last edited:
Hello All, I have just found this photo, written on the back is July 17 1954, me again on the left, no idea who the boy is, may be some one may recognize him, sorry its not very good quaiity

Attachments

• Skaters 1954.jpg
    Skaters 1954.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 33
Is this any better bigland I remember you three girls but our paths never cross ( well may be they did on the ice lol ) Skaters%201954[1].jpg

Baron, yes that is an improvment, thankyou, they were good & happy times. I married a none skater so apart from taking my children to Silver Blades my skating days were finished, we divorced after 25 years & some time after I literally bumped into a "lad" I had met all those years previously at the ice rink!!! we are now married, This is a photo of him (in the dark) sweater) with some of his mates. Skaters.jpg

Skaters 2.jpgAnother one taken Wyndley Pool I believe, surprising what you find when you decide to have a clear out. Trouble is it all goes back again!!

Hi Bigland - thanks for showing your photos reminding me of those happy times. I don't recognise anyone but it looks like Wyndley Pool where we all skated outdoors sometimes on very thin ice.
oldmohawk

Arthur Ambridge is still around and we are in touch with him. My husband worked at Alexanders too. his name Albert Banner. Do you remember him. Miriam.

Arthur Ambridge is still around and we are in touch with him. My husband worked at Alexanders too. his name Albert Banner. Do you remember him. Miriam.

Hi
Sorry about spelling mistakes, was rather excited in finding anything to do with Spring Hill ice rink
I was a lowely apprentice at GHA. between 1960-1965 and spent six months in inspection, with
Arthur, sorry I do not remember your husband,

Back