• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

Spring Hill Ice rink definitely had an organist. I used to go Wednesday night's and Sunday afternoon and he was alway's playing on those day's.

I am Gob Smacked :0) I have just found out why I did not skate to any organist at springhill I HAD HOCKEY SKATES & had gone to Bearwood (with The BARONS IHC) like Phil (Oldmohawk) I finished up at solihull.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Old Mohawk.
I also remember going across to the pub with Skates on. As you went in there was a notice on the door asking patrons wearing ice skates to use the back bar. Just to mention about the organist again the organ was situated about half way down the rink on the right hand side looking from the shop end .So it was opposite the cafe.
I never knew that Mecca had relaxed their ban on hockey skates but I left Bham in 1965 to be assistant Manager at Silver Blades Manchester. When Springhill closed I also went to Bearwood (the former Windsor theatre) and then to solihull. Incidentally Solihull rink also had an organist his namee was Mel Edwards.
Manchester rink didnt allow hockeys but when I arrived there the chief engineer asked me if I would kindly help them "plough" the ice which was still being done with an old Land Rover and heavy metal plough which needed someone holding onto the back of it to release the snow catcher as it passed the pit. It was actually good fun and I got to use my Hockey Skates again.
Happy Days!

Hi Phil,
Well I certainly did not notice an organ opposite the cafe, perhaps I wasn't paying attention, I'm surprised there was room for it. I started skating in 1950, had a partial break 1956/1958 to do National Service in the RAF and another break around 1964/1966 maybe when the organ was installed. I think one of the photos I've posted of a race at Richmond Ice Rink, faintly shows a grand piano and drums on stage!
I was skating at Silver Blades Hurst Street in 66/67 and went on a trip with the club to Berlin by train through the Iron Curtain and tough border guards etc. I have also posted in the Silver Blades thread on this forum.
Maybe you have already noticed that we have Upper Case and Lower Case threads of Spring Hill Ice Rink and also a Spring Hill Roller Rink thread and the old rink was actually Summer Hill Ice Rink, but we have all agreed we like it just as it is...
Happy Memories from so long ago...:)
Phil
oldmohawk

When you think fo the 1000's that skated at the old Birmingham Rink,its sad so few are on this forum, when you think of all the fun & great time we had as kid.teenagers & fully grown folks. The days spent in that place shaped my life as I think it did for many more.
Lets have some more memories Guys,DID YOU MEET YOUR WIFE,DID YOUR KID SKATE AT THAT RINK,DID YOU HAVE FUN ?
There must be more stores to tell? so lets have them guys.

Hello Baron. I can't hep you with stories of the 'old Mohawks' but Al loved his time at the rink and told me he, and others, used to stay at the rink when it was closed to practice. He still has his skates. We are down sizing and gouing to live in a flat BUT he insists we take his skates. It was his life, he has forgotten almost all, but his skates and pictures go with us. Miriam.

Miriam, that would me too, I have every pair of skates I ever owned plus one or two from the old skate hire at the rink ,given to me on the day it closed. Hope Al gets his to take his memories of that great time & your move goes well.

I must get to see Art Hambidge some time to go through our old times .all the very best
Keith

I have wonderful memories of Spring Hill Ice rink too. A boyfriend who used to go there with me, bought me a pair of ice skates from the shop there, and they are still here with me to this day. I think we have spoken before Baron, about my friend Terry Smith who was a Mohawk.

Hi Maggs,
You must have had a generous boyfriend to buy you a pair of skates way back in those days.
I remember my first skates were second hand and broke and I had to borrow money off my Mum to buy new skates - took me many weeks to pay her back.
Here's an existing photo brought up from the 'depths' of the forum to show Terry racing and about to do a changeover in a relay race.
oldmohawk....:)
Phil_and_Terry_Richmond_Ice_Rink.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Old Mohawk, thank you for the photo of Terry. Well, my boyfriend must have loved me to buy me those skates. I think they cost about £6 at the time, but that would have been more than a weeks wages in those days wouldn't it?

Phil it great to have those pics back on the thread. The 1940s pic in the club dressing room the two not named back row a young Ron Saddler, front row left looks like a very young Kenny Heather ?
The one Wyndley 1960 shows Art Hambridge & Ted Dunne I was behind the camara.
Hope all is well with you
Keith

Hi Keith - I've merged the photos I had in #411 with a lot more photos in #414. I think the person you mentioned on the left was Maurice ? (will have to look up his surname). I've enlarged the Wyndley 1960's photo. With the post I was trying to show some of the missing photos in one post I could easily edit without filling the screen with large images disappearing way off the bottom. Some may wonder why we put old skating photos on but they were our bit of history and memories...
I may put a few more on in groups like this.
Phil

A gallery of the many images which were lost from this thread. Some large size photos which were lost when the forum was hacked in 2011 have been re-posted in the old posts, but some may never be re-posted. Some pics show 'free' skating on Wyndley Pool Sutton Park. The pics are mainly from the 40's 50's and 60's. Some of the pics are links and a click on them will go to the relevant posts on the forum.
A click on the image below will open a PDF file which contains all the lost pics. The file can be viewed online or saved. The normal '+' or '-' pdf controls can be used to enlarge it to full screen to easily view the pics.

Updated 1st March 2022.

Last edited:
fANTASTIC Phil, they look much better set up like, that all in on place. I note looking at the BARONS IHC team pics I had Pete Allcock maked down as"Pete Cox" ,Art Hambidge put me right on this, Pete is no longer with us so I feel I must get this right RIP Pete.

Phil OUR ICE RINK DAYS WERE ALL PART OF BIRMINGHAM HISTORY as much as any other Thead on this site.Only hope we can keep it alive for others to know how much it ment to those who were there ;0)

All the best Keith

Hi Keith,
Sorry to hear about Pete RIP.
Putting the photos in a gallery does show all the photos in the thread like the 'old paper clip' method did. The only thing is the photos in the actual posts had the 'chat' about memories. I always remember 'bigland' saying to you 'I'm a "gal" not a "guy" but more of an "old gal" now!'
She's on the left in the 4th pic.
Phil

fantastic collection of photos phil and how lovely to see so many with al in them...

lyn

I went to Spring Hill skating in the late 50s and early 60s. Used to go 3 or 4 times a week with a group of other girls. I met my husband-to-be there when we were both 17. Loved the place............Went to the Embassy around the same time. Didn't like it quite as much, too noisy!!! Still got my membership card somewhere among my old papers............Aaaah! wonderful memories of days gone by...

Another memory I have of Spring Hill, we used to get changed at the side of the rink on the benches. We left all our belongings, including bags with purses, drinks and anything else we took with us, on the benches. No-one thought of taking anything belonging to anyone else, and we felt quite safe leaving our things there..........how things have changed!!

Back