• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this thread has been going for some time, but I don't come on to this site very often. I must say I don't think I ever heard the "rink" called "Springhill ice rink". It was on the corner of Goodman Street and Summerhill Street and we always new it as Summerhill Rink. I lived round the corner and use to go there in the 60's when it was a roller rink. There was an earlier question regarding the building being a cinema. It never was. Before it was built, the site was the site of the actual "sanpit", a form of quarry (confirmed by my parents who lived nearby also an old ordnance survey map confirms). The road further down is called "The Sandpits" My dad was a bellboy at the ice rink for a short time when he was about 13 (1932c). The schoolboard man put a stop to that as he was supposed to still be at school. At some time in the 30's it was a menagerie. My parents both told me of the time there was a fire and all the animals were taken into the "rec" at the other end of Goodman Street. It was weird to see wild animals tied to the railings.
I have a cousin (Barry Moulsdale) that used to be in the Mohawks racing team in the 50's and 60's.
Hope this brings back some memories.

Hi - If you go back through the thread you will probably find I've queried the Summerhill / Springhill mix up but even I now call it Springhill, makes life easier !
I knew your cousin Barry, he might even be in the photos I've posted on here
I can point you to the photos if you want me to.
oldmohawk...:)
ps Barry might be in the photo in my post #79 but I will look at other photos....

Last edited:
HI OLD MOWHAWK
Albert is correct its always been known as summer hill ice rink and i personaly have known it to be summer hill roller rink
as i am a native to this rink living directly behind it in king edwards rd and knowing albert and all us local kids and parents have always known it to be summer hill
skating rink and it will always be that i know there is alot of members whom have written and sent there photos on the forum
and being members of the mowhawkes racing team i did know one or two of them myself but therte is alot of members who was not a local native to the rink
as you say it was easy to put it as spring hill for our members whom have done alot of contribution for the forum with there memories
but i do not surpose its any harm for people to call it spring hill skating rink or summer hill
it came about many years ago the name summer hill because of the sand pitts and summer hill homes prior to becoming a nursing home and prior to that being a kids home and jointly across the rd facing was the summer hill midwifery house for the nurses homes so thats how it became summer hill skating rink and not spring hill
but its always been advertised for conventions as summer hill
by the way albert i will contact you later some time this evening bnest wishes alan astonion

oldMohawk,
Yes Barry is in the picture on #79. He is in the centre, at the back. The only one wearing specs. His eysight has now deteriorated to the point where he is registered blind. I believe this is due to his Diabetes. I haven't seen him for a while but do have regular contact with his brother, Bill.

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear of Barrie's problems, I think all us old ones are 'wearing out' in one way or another, and the days when we could speed round in the 'mad dash' are long gone. Please give him my regards. I am third from the left in the middle row in that photo.
Phil

[video]https://vthumb.ak.fbcdn.net/hvthumb-ak-snc4/hs1273.snc4/158557_174099965948271_174097685948499_22978_1492_t.jpg[/video]

HOW DO WE DOWN LOAD VIDEO ?????? PLEASE I TRIED THE ABOVE BUT IT JUST GAVE ME A THUMB NAIL PICK???????

Last edited:
Thanks DAVE, But I must be having a senior moment!!!!!!:0( as I just cannot see a https at the top of my facebook page with the video i would like the share on the is topic? I have been able to post it to the Forums facebook Page with no problem?
SORRY TO BE OF TOPIC GUYS WITH MY REQUEST.

hi keith..are you able to post the link on here as i would love to see you skating and i am not on facebook

lyn:)

You guys have come up trumps once more THANKS for the help and comments, I have only put this on the web hopping some one will see that it can be safe to skate outdoors on any flat ground,when the weather pemits?
as I have said before all you need is compacted snow & a few watering can of water over time to build up the ice ,you can finish of when thick useing a small amount of hot water to give it that glass finish.
you just need mother nature to give you a long cold snap:0)
all the info on how to keep it up & running was from the many times we had to clean the ice at the old ice rink after our Hockey practice in the early hour (12AM ).
THANKS AGAIN TO THIS GRATE SITE & IT MEMBERS :0)
Keith Jenney EX BIRMINGHAM BARON
ps I was able to open the link above!

You guys have come up trumps once more THANKS for the help and comments, I have only put this on the web hopping some one will see that it can be safe to skate outdoors on any flat ground,when the weather pemits?
as I have said before all you need is compacted snow & a few watering can of water over time to build up the ice ,you can finish of when thick useing a small amount of hot water to give it that glass finish.
you just need mother nature to give you a long cold snap:0)
all the info on how to keep it up & running was from the many times we had to clean the ice at the old ice rink after our Hockey practice in the early hour (12AM ).
THANKS AGAIN TO THIS GRATE SITE & IT MEMBERS :0)
Keith Jenney EX BIRMINGHAM BARON
ps I was able to open the link above!

Hope you didnt mind me doing that Kieth. Max

If you cannot open in the forum you can go to the FACEBOOK PAGE of this site & see Me relive the good old ice rink days :0)

yes thanks max....

well kieth i applaude you..wonderful footage and i can see you havnt lost your touch...:thumbsup:come on wend we must give it a go sometime at the silver blades....:cry::D

lyn

Last edited:
thanks keith...i really would love to have a go at skating again and as you may know it was roller i loved but i guess i can always stay on the rails and pull meself along with wend following... oh and have plenty of padding..:D

lyn

Hi Ladywoodite (Albert)
The answer to your question can be seen in post #183 and also in #182 in this thread. I have sent you an Instant Message (Private Message) which should pop up in a separate window.
Best regards
oldmohawk..:)

what memories the ice rink on spring hill brings back to me, i used to go in the fifties. and remember how the girls squealed when guy mitchel came on singing rockabilly rock and singing the blues, my father worked their, first as the car park attendant and then the cloak room attendant, he had one arm and his name was bill. i lived at the bottom of spring hill, (steward st) i loved watching the birmingham mowhawks. because my dad worked their i had a free pass and used to go mondays wednesdays and saturdays. the manager at the time was a mr woodward or woodwood. i would love to have some pictures to be able to put into my collection of old buildings in ladywood, i have one from the outside albeit not a very good one, it was at the ice rink that i wore my first pair of drainpipes. how hard i thought i looked lol. as i said, wonderfull memories.

Back