• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

Hello Keith Trying to send a picture of the speed skates that Al made himself. The blades are 16" long made from high speed steel saw blades. The blade is riveted into the tube on the skates [saw teeth had been removed from the saw blade and fitted into the tube under the skate] then ground to shape. Hope this is of interest. Miriam.

Hi Miriam,
When I was searching the internet many years ago, before I found the BHF, the only thing I found about British Indoor Speed Skating was a Canadian website which mentioned that British speed skater Al Banner had made his own speed skates, using hacksaw blades etc. Good speed skates were not easy to obtain in the late 40's and 50's.
oldmohawk
Phil:)

Good luck to all indoor team speed skaters from the midland club Solihull & Nottingham. 2010 winter Olympics in Canada you guys go & show the world just how far we have come form when Al had to make his own skates, pay all his own expences when attending events.
Time change.

Hi Miriam,
They are a nice pair of skates and you've even got the guards. I'll have to get up in our loft and see what condition mine are in.
I remember ordering a pair of Ving speed skates from Norway, and they had to be imported by some company in Glasgow, to who I made 'long distance trunk' phone calls through the operator from a phone box in Brookvale Rd Witton. The operator told me how much money I had to put in for a 3 minute call and press button 'A'. I got the skates eventually.
Phil.

All our Hockey gear had to be ordered from COOPER WEEKS in CANADA via Uk SHIPPING AGENT.
MY first gear I made my self (NO UK SUPPLIER AT THAT TIME), leg, shoulder & elbow pads from a mixture of
industrial Elephant Hide & felt padding, shorts from ex army PT issue padded with felt strips & ribbon in team livery.
The gloves, stick & skates were the only gear that i could not make so purchased SKATES from GRENVILLES ? Cherry St BIRMINGHAM, STICK from HARRINGAY ICE STADIUM LONDON Purchased on my first visit to a pro Hockey Game (never thought I would ever play Hockey for real with it), GLOVES from LILLY WHITE & FROUD ? BIRMINGHAM Found by some guy in the basement when I asked "have you any ice hockey gear"He said "they had them for years but did not know for which sport they were ment to be".
First game at the old rink one Mr Butcher the then Manager put in to his Gala night special BARONS v ROYALS .
Any one remember that night I bet you do Phil the Mohawk also put on a demo race alnog with the rinks ice dance teams.
Our sports ment so much we would do any thing to take part, Al your skates are just a case in point ,AS I SAID ANY THING!!!

Last edited:
Hi Keith, I can't remember where I got my Hockey Stick from possibly Nottingham. My Mom paid for my first pair of new Hockey Skates from Grenvilles Cherry St. I remember they cost £6-10s a fortune in those days. My first sight of ice skating was a girl gliding along at Perry Hall Park lake one winter in the late 40's, from that moment I wanted to ice skate. I remember my very first steps at Springhill on rink skates, I soon bought a second-hand pair of hockey skates....memories.....

Hi Miriam and Keith,
I finally went up in the loft and found my skates and a sharpening jig. The last time I wore the speed skates was in 1967 and the hockey skates in 1969. I think the speed skates were the 3rd pair I had, constant sharpening reduced the blade depth. I remembered the exciting times when I used them but felt a little sad as I looked at them..but that's life...

My_Ice_Skates.JPG

Dear 'old' Mohawk. I believe not one of you skaters [Al included] will ever feel 'old' not when you all have such wonderful happy memories.

Miriam.

Miriam & Al That is so right.I for one will never grow up, for when ever put my skates on I will be back in the days of my youth.
Keith THE BARON

Hello all you old skaters, newbie here. I used to skate and do the pub across the road thing years ago. I live in Canada now and have for 35 years. I plan on a trip back in May this year, if you're having a pub night end of May/June even though I have forgotten as much about drinking as I have about skating. I'm off to explore the pic's now to see who I remember. Will be back whenever I find my way around.

To Old Mohawk or anyone interested in the team. Post #82 Pic #1 , 2nd row. The skater on the far right is Spencer Roberts, used to be called 'SUS'. or perhaps 'short wheelbased roberts'. I was married to him for 20 years, sadly no longer. I have lots of memories from those days. All good.

Hello Nishja,
I remember Spencer Roberts and the nickname 'Sus'. My memory of those far off happy days sometimes needs a push !
I'll send you and IM
All the best
oldmohawk

MY Thanks to Dave for the help he gave in posting the video of OUR BACK GARDEN ICE PATCH JANUARY 2010. So many helpfull folks on this site thanks to you all.
THE BARON

Phil, Just had a phone call from John Edwards Ex Mohawk & Birmingham/Solihull Baron He said you would remember him, I cannot put a face to the name but he names all the guys I new from way back then?
He gave me his email but its not working so I think it may be wrong.
Do you recall him?

What was the name of that pub we all used to sneak out for a nip to. Lordy my memory has not improved one bit. I remember jamming into a little bar, it was so small no one fell down, wasn't room. I got chucked out of there a time or two or ?????. Any one remember that famous Ice Dance couple that practiced before the reg. skating. She was what I think would be call a petite blond and they were champs of something. I watched from the cafe one time, he had her twirling around above his head and she fell, she called him every name in the book, shocked the whole place I think. That Utube video is so nice to see, you could play for the Toronto Maple Leafs, they need all the help they can get.

Back