• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

I used to go to the Spring Hill Ice Rink, during the middle and later 1950's. It was Wednesday evening and Sunday afternoons for me. There used to be an organist to skate to. Many people used to come from Nottingham on a Wednesdsay night. I was friendly with one of the Mohawk speed skaters too. It was a wonderful time.

Maggs.

Pete, these are the names I remember from that photo Phill posted 70.
CAN YOU HELP WITH ANY MORE, THE FACES I AM OK WITH BUT NAMES NO WAY WILL THEY COME.
Art Hambidge, Frank Holt, Vince Turner, Mick Johnston, All played along side me in the BARONS HOCKEY TEAM Frank Holt was our first Net Minder.
All the best Keith

Hi, Pete and Keith,
At the risk of boring every non-skater on the forum, here is my go at naming the Mohawks in the pic. I feel sorry that I can't name everyone but it was 50 years ago. The person (? 1) looks like the 3rd person from left in Pete's park pic. I also think he is the skater far right in the Bristol Silver Blades pic I previously posted. By the way I used to go with an ice rink crowd to the Gaumont Cinema on Sunday afternoons.
Happy memories
Phil
mh.jpg

I was friendly with one of the Mohawk speed skaters too. It was a wonderful time.

Maggs.
Hi maggs,
Do you remember which Mohawk it was ? or do you want to keep it secret !
My wife never skated at Spring Hill but we did skate together at Silver Blades and Solihull.
Phil
icon7.gif

Yes I do. His name was Terry Smith and I believe he lived in the Smethwick area.

Is this of any help?

Regards,

Maggs.

Hello Maggs,
Terry Smith is in the picture in my post #82 with me in a relay changeover at Richmond Ice Rink. Also I think he is 2nd from left back row my post #79.
I knew him well and raced with him in the team many times. We use to call him 'Sixer Smith'. Is this the Terry you knew ?
Best regards
Phil

Hello Phil,

Yes, that would be him. He was a little fellow.

Is he still around? I think he would remember me too.

Regards,

Maggs.

Hello Maggs,
When I got married in 1968, my skating days finished, also had to concentrate on career etc. So I lost touch with everyone and there were changes with ice rinks closing etc. The old rink was magic, but we were all young then. I've still got my speed skates somewhere in the loft, but I guess that is where they will stay. My last go on skates was in the 70's at a 'rink' in Ilfracombe ! - the 'ice' was plastic but you could actually skate on it. I was proving to my young son that I could skate !
Regards
Phil
icon7.gif

Hello Phil,

Shame we all lose touch isn't it? As you say it was a great rink. I still have my skates and very short skating skirt in the loft too. My dad thought that skirt was far too short, but there we are, I felt like the bees knees in it.

I did go to the Silver Blades during the 60's with my children. Not the same atmosphere as Spring Hill though.

Looked on your piccys, but didn't really recognise Terry..well it was a long time ago.

Thank you for getting in touch with me.

Regards,

Maggs.

Hi Phil and Keith
Well done Phil for putting so many names in that club photo.
You are right in thinking that ?1 is Eric[sorry can't remember surname]
in my park photo.I notice Keith, that Mike Johnson on Phil's photo,also appears on your first group ice hockey photo on your post 35.I always thought he had a style more akin to ice hockey than speed skating [I hope Ive got the right guy].For the life of me I cant remember any ice hockey at spring Hill during my skating years[1955-early1960]- have I just fogotten or did ice hockey take place outside these dates?
Pete

Hi Maggs and Pete,
Did you see this picture of the front of the ice rink. It was in Astoness's post #114 but was lost in the hack attack!
Old_Ice_Rink_0.jpg
It doesn't look much of a place from outside but inside such memories ......
I remember a few of us skating on the small car park one icy winter. Had to sneak out and back in through the exit by the shop. No chance of getting through the front entrance with the Sergeant guarding it !
icon12.gif

Last edited:
Pete I got Married in 1962 & had been playing Hockey at Springhill rink for at least 4 years. It all started around the time Mr Butcher took over as Manager.
If you look back in this thead you will see news cutting from around that time,we had a hard time getting any ice time untill Mr Butcher came, as you will also see from the pics the guys having to wait till winter to practice on Wyndly pool Sutton Coldfield.
Its GREAT TO HAVE YOU GUY JOG THE OLD BRAIN BOX THANKS
THE BARON (ASTON)

Hi to Poppit; The ice rink at Sring Hill was changed into a car showroom owned by
Lincoln Street Motors.

h bill..i think liberty means it changed into a car showroom after it closed as the rollar rink which is correct....its now a honda dealership..

astoness

Hi, Astoness,
With the present state of Honda - suspended production etc, maybe it could go full circle and become an ice rink again.
oldmohawk
:D

oldmohawk...if it did i would be one of the 1st banging on the door to get in....lol actually as i have had to go past there quite a lot recently i am sure its looking a bit empty of cars....i could never understand why the rollar closed in the first place...it was always packed when i used to go 4 or 5 times a week....o well happy days

lyn:)

Hi Al Banner;
I went to school with a guy named Hemus, it was St Peters RC School
located at St Peters Place off Broad St now famously known as Brindley Place.
Sorry cannot remember his first name The school & church were pulled down but
I think the Oratory or St Chads took over all the relevant records for the school.

I do think a goahead city like BIRMINGHAM should have an ICE RINK OF OLYMPIC STANDARED. We seem to be behind even the smallest citys & towns all who seem to have Rinks that support all of the activities that a rink should, when you get places like Bridgetown -Cannock , Telford & Coventry having great rinks then why not THE SECOND CITY?
STOP PLAYING AT BEING A SECOND CITY & START GETTING WITH IT?

yes keith it would be nice....i wonder does anyone know where or if there are any roller rinks open anywhere in the midlands....

lyn:)

cheers keith...i will get some info on it...

now dont you be laffin at me.....i am not joking....lol

lyn:):):)

now a honda dealership..
Having noticed the Google update thread, I had a wander up Summerhill Rd (Springhill) using the Streetcam. I saw the Honda dealership and I presume the 'Rainbow Cantonese Restaurant' might be the little pub we use to nip over to on our skates during session intervals.
:)

Last edited:
trust me you would not walk about down and around there beleive me
you would be more safer walking down soho rd after 7 pm than around the roller rink
i know i have a sister inlaw whom lives in that neck of the woods
and also up at dudley rd even out side summerfield police station of a evening
or key hill cem ; on your own
best wishes astonian ;;

When we come to Brum, we walk around this area, but it is during the morning. This was the area I lived as a child. However, when I mentioned this to an old Brummie friend he was horrified. He said 'you don't want to walk around there' I never have since. Seems he was correct.

Maggs.

trust me you would not walk about down and around there ;;
I very rarely go into Brum, even in my car, don't know my way around with all the changes ! So Google's Streetview is useful for having a safe although limited look around.
:)

Last edited:
I just found another photo from the old ice rink, although its a bit tattered.
Its the Mohawks Speed Skating team some time in the 1950's.
From left to right Pete Jennings, Brian Grinsell, Johnny Monk (trainer), in front of him holding the cup Terry Smith, Bill Jones, and Kenny Heather.
The ice rink clock can just seen in the background.
Mohawk_Team.jpg

Great pic Phil, I wondered were Ken Heather & Sixer smith had gone from all the posted photos sofar.
ALL THE BEST Keith

January 1953 at Springhill, fell over on the ice and couldnt get up; three girls said 'you want to learn to skate'. Long and short of it, been marfried to one of them for 54 years.

Back