• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

ASTONESS, Yes that pic was posted before by Phil OLDMOHAWK.

OLDMOHAWK
Thanks for that one inside the rink Phil

Hi, Sakura,
Unfortunately I don't know the year of the general session. Do you know the name of the pretty lady sitting on the table in the middle picture of Al Banner's post ?
I've just had a look at the 'Nottstalgia Forum' (I use to skate there often) not as friendly looking as this forum, and I don't feel like registering just to ask one question!
Phil
icon7.gif

Sakura, The date on that pic is 1950 NOTTINGHAM ICE RINK. The only ones I know from that pic are Phil Ridgeway, Coilin Bailey, Ray Walpole.

Hi Keith,
I think the question Sakura was asking was in answer to my question 'whether she knew the name of the pretty figure/dance skater sitting on the table' in Miriam's and Al's photos. Perhaps Al can tell us !
Last night I done a search in Google for Aldwych Ice Speed club and Facebook came up and it said this year they had celebrated their Centenary.
I didn't want to sign up to Facebook but contacted and offered to email one of my photos showing 3 of their team. If I get a reply they might have some photos taken during their visits to Brum !
Phil

hi all , been reading some of the stories about the ice rink in springhill really made me laugh good memories . I went to the rollerrink in about 1969 it was a roller skating rink then dont think i could have done ice skating it was somethink ive never done was a coward . we had some laughs there i met my husband there he could never roller skate without wabbling about and it stillmakes me smile now skating to red red wine . They turned it into a car show room last time i was down there my husband lived on springhill and used to go in the freehouse public house across from skating rink has a teenager. I have loved to have taken my kids there to show them that i could skate but they closed it down does anybody know what year the roller skating rink actually closed. Happy DAYS. :D:wave::wave::wave:

Hi, Rosie,
There is a Spring Hill Roller Rink thread on here, perhaps someone there could tell you the closure date.
oldmohawk
icon7.gif

hi rosie. type in spring hill rollar rink in the search box. you and i were both going there at the same time. do you remember frankie the dj. hes still a dj now living in australia.

astonesss:)

Hello again. Had a word with Al and at this 'moment in time' he can't recall the young lady [sitting on table] name. After all this time, and three years in Australia, his memory isn't so good.

I am going to quote a few words from one of his saved paper cuttings.

" " -- started his speed skating career in 1943, with the Old B'Ham Dragons Club. ----- a natural leader, he was captain of this team in 1944 and 1945, diring which time he won the quarter cup outright three times and the half mile points twice. In 1946 the ragons joined forces with the Mohawks, the later name being retained ------------ Winning an N>S>A. Silver medal he missed out on the gold by 4 fifths of a second. " " ------

There is more. Al has lots of paper cuttins one showing a picture of Bill Jones, Peter Jennings and Arthur Hambridge in Hamar, Norway to get the benefit of ope air skatin g - they have the 1952 Olympics in view.

Regards. Miriam.

Hi Miriam, any chance you could scan cuttings & post? Both I & Art would love to read & in my case put in scrapbook I have on the rink.
THE BARON (ASTON)

Hello. Will try to scan picture and any others I think might help. I think I read somewhere on the thread that someone is trying to write a book???? Miriam.

Hello Phil. Glad you like Al's pictres. Thanks for help in getting them through. I have now managed to scan a few paper cuttings and am now trying to send these through. Miriam.:beam:

Hello Baron. Thanks for the encouragement. I am now trying to send scans of cutting through. Regards to Arthur and Audrey.

Hi, They are great,well done, I have cleaned them up a bit .Hope you do not mind, Will take them round to Art on my next visit along with the others you posted. That will bring back old times I am sure.
Keith THE BARON (ASTON)

The Baron - I didn't start skating until 1953 so I wouldn't have known the skaters on the photo, they would have been a few years older than me.

We went as a group from the Figure Skating to the British Championships in Nottingham but I don't know what year that was. Some of them then went onto European and Worlds. Great times for Figure Skating in the UK at that time and certainly for Springhill. :) Mo

Keith, Thanks for message. Regards to them. Like the way you cleared photoes - never thought of doing that - one lives and learns.

My computer is acting stupid. All my Mohawk pictures have disappeared.

My son tells me that Google have updated and have put me on Picasa 3 - lots of 'funnies' are going on now - some of my other pictures have doubles and I have lost folders. Do I have a polterguist!!!!!!!!! Mirriam.

Hi Miriam, you can copy & paste the photos you have lost from the ones you put on this Thread & any other tread that as photos you may have lost.
JUST LEFT CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO ENLARGE, THEN RIGHT CLICK,CLICK "SAVE AS", BRING UP WHERE YOU WOULD LIKE IT TO BE PUT ie "DESK TOP" CLICK & SAVE.
I know I may be telling you what you already know but it just me showing off????
Many thanks for your input on this tread.
Best wishes THE BARON (ASTON)

oldmohawk, Miriamand anyone else who received this message. It was sent out by the forum robot to all who subscribed to the threads in which it was posted.
It is an automatic notification of a new post in your subscribed threads.
I removed eight such messages from various therads.

I had one yesterday, so who is sending them?
Someone spammed the forum quite badley yesterday. I spent almost an hour searching and deleting spam posts. Unfortunately the forum robot sends out automatically to anyone subscribe to a thread, so the message was sent before I had deleted the spam.
It can cause no harm to your comp just delete any message that you dont want.

Yes, there is a thread in this section titled Spring Hill Rollar Rink
You wouldn't find if you typed Roller in a search !
oldmohawk
icon7.gif

My thanks to Art Hambidge for these old MOHAWK pic's & the Ice Dance Team all from around 1946 to 1950.
ANY ONE REMEMBER ANY FACES?
pic 1. Art Hambidge Birmingham Ice Rink, POINTS TROPHY 1/2 MILE 1946.
pic 2. Birminham Mohawks ice speed team with Mr Easton Club President & Rink Manager.
pic 3. Team 1948 LtoR Bill Jones,Pete Jennings,Art Hambidge,Denise Blundell, Front J. Less Trainer.
pic 4. Team 1948 LtoR Art Hambidge,Al Banner,D Johnson,Bill Jones,Wilf Lardner,D Blundell,Ron Sadler,Norman Hollwell, Ben Cleobury.
pic 5. The BIRMINGHAM ICE DANCE TEAM (around 1950)

I think this is a little before your time OLDMOHAWK:D but I bet you know some of these faces
More pics to come! later.
THE BARON (old username ASTON:redface:)
I think I know 4 of the faces Roy Mason, Mary Pary,Janet Sawbrigde, David Higginbottom. But it would be after 1950/

Was the Little Mos name Anne Lenton?

Hi Wendy,
If it's the 'Little Mo' I mentioned in my post #119, she was from Nottingham as were the other girls. I used to call her 'Mo' and she responded.
I'd be surprised if her name was Anne, do you know her ?
She could certainly skate fast on those hockey skates she is wearing.
In my post #107, the girl behind the boy leaning on the case is Janet Sawbridge and the person next to the girl on her right is Bernard Ford.
I found one more small photo in my files, it's of a general session and everyone seems to be still - I trying to remember whether they played the National Anthem at the end of sessions !
oldmohawk
Old_Ice_Rink.jpg

I think I know 4 of the faces Roy Mason, Mary Parry,Janet Sawbridge, David Higginbottom. But it would be after 1950/ January 14th, 2009 10:08
Wendy- What # post are you referring to in your post. The photo in 107 must have been the late 1950's as I started skating in 1953 and Janet was quite young then and so was Bernard. I have a photo I must try and find of one of the shows we were in at Christmas, maybe that has a date on. Did you figure skate at that time Wendy? Do you see Malcolm Cannon on there? I know some of the other faces but I can't remember their names. I have not seen any of them since 1963.:)Mo

Last edited:
Sorry got the pics mixed up. In #107 i remember most of them but not all the names. Geraldine Morris Maxine Jolly Adrian Florence, Pam Davis, and then there is Penny Higgins i think it is her or her sister Leslie Penny was my bridesmaid 40yrs ago. And i do remember Janet and Bernard(i skated with him in some dance competition)

Hi Wendy,
I was a bit surprised when you mentioned someone in the Notts pic.
I started skating in 1950, joined the Mohawks in 53, and apart from National Service in 56/58 continued until 1968 when I got married and settled down. I remember well the dance instructors Ken Vickers and Harry Francis.
I don't know what you thought of the old Springhill Ice Rink, it seemed to be special, but we were all young then !
You can see in this topic we've all been re-living those good times at the old rink, but I think we've now run out of pics to post.
If you have pics of the ice dancers at the rink, I'd be interested to see them, I might recognise someone.
oldmohawk
icon7.gif

Me to Wendy I agree with Phil, any pics that bring back the fond memories of the old rink would be welcombe.
Only wish I had more photos of that time (the best of my life), but like all things when you are young you just live your life & do not think about what memories you will hold dear in the future.
If only we could take the pictures that are in our heads & pass them on, THIS SITE WOULD BE FULL OF THE MOST FANTASTIC MEMORIES.
Nice to see you posting on this thread again Phil.

Back