• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

My Grandfather William West better known as Bill West was involved in the Mohawks speed skating club and Birmingham Barons Ice Hockey team in the 1936/1950’s.

I was wondering if anyone knew him or had any old photos
Just posted some of my mum's memories at the end of this thread as of 18 April 2022 and it inclues her memories of Bill West at the rink and Sutton Park. I didn't include the bit about Bill giving her a lift home sometimes "Bill had a car for business purposes so often gave me a lift home on his way from the rink to Sutton. I am sure it was illegal with rationing of petrol so tight." as it wasn't that relevant to the rink itself. Don't think he features in any photos in her albums but I will have a look when I can just in case.

Hi Miriam and Keith,
I finally went up in the loft and found my skates and a sharpening jig. The last time I wore the speed skates was in 1967 and the hockey skates in 1969. I think the speed skates were the 3rd pair I had, constant sharpening reduced the blade depth. I remembered the exciting times when I used them but felt a little sad as I looked at them..but that's life...

My_Ice_Skates.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-20220702-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20220702-WA0004.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Back