• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

I haven't scoured through all the threads but can anyone confirm that the building was once" The Lyric" picture house?
Moss.

mossg,re the old ice rink being a Picture House? All I can say is it must have been a long time ago as it was an ice rink Back in 1936.
It would be good if someone could tell us if it was a movie house before that?

Last edited:
mossg,re the old ice rink being a Picture House? All I can say is it must have been a long time ago as it was an ice rink Back in 1936.
It would be good if someone could tell us if it was a movie house before that?
Hi guys,in an excellent book I have called "played in Birmingham"it mentions that the rink(opened in 1910) stood adjacent to the Waldorf cinema,but no mention of it ever being a cinema itself at any time.The Erdington roller skating rink shared facilities with a cinema for a while(just a curtain divided them!)but that closed in 1918.
Regards,Keegs

I think you may have ROLLER mixed with ICE ? CAN YOU CONFIRM IF THE BOOK GIVES the Waldorf as being in Springhill along with the ice rink?
keep LOOKING any pics in that book?
THE BARON

Morning Keith. Not sure if I replied to Post.255. His first names was Graham ........... his parents owned a shop
by the Pelham Pub which sold baby prams and children's item. Miriam.

Hi Keith

Sorry I haven't responded for a while. For some reason it is not telling me when there is a response. It used to email me to tell me something was there, but it didn't! I haven't got round to scanning in the pics yets. I will however post a pic of Dad now. Sure I've got one on my facebook. Skating pics are taking a while to sort as I need to scan them in and our scanner is at my husband's work! I will do it though I promise. Dad mentioned it the other day.

keep mew informed of any new pics or members that Dad may know

take care

Emma

Hope this works! Keith - I've attached a pic of me and Dad on my wedding day (it is a few years ago) and one with mum in too!

Thanks Emma, GREAT PICS,Do not worry your self re Dads Photos as long as we get to see them, all will be fine.
I have to say this, you l look just GREAT such a good looking Family.
regards Keith

John Brooks BIRMINGHAM BARONS ICE HOCKEY CLUB 1961 from the BIRMINGHAM MAIL ,taken at springhill ice rink Sunday morning pratice

Guess what...we've got a 'SPRING HILL ICE RINK'... a 'Spring Hill Ice Rink'... a 'Spring Hill Rollar Rink'... and we all had fun there long long ago.
I think it's a Honda Car Sales showroom now and probably not so much fun.
Just bringing the 'upper case thread' up a bit !!
oldmohawk
ps. We also had the Embassy Roller Rink...and I've just remembered Silver Blades...:)

Emma are you still looking at this TREAD? & is all OK?
We are yet to see Dads (Erics)photos. I do hope you are all well & you will have time to scan.
It is so nice to see old faces from one of the best of times.Please give Dad my best regards ,Keith

I know this as been posted before but it still brings back memories (the smell that rink had of cold damp mist) Did the folks back the look smart even when out skating?

Computers are all new to me being a pensioner, but how glad I am that I found this site, Memories of the Mohawks, I married one (sadly passed away also his bother)
but seeing old photographs was just wonderful and bought back lots of happy times. I travelled everywhere on the coach trips, even upto Scotland for Easter internationals,
Our wedding had to be arranged round race meetings and even the bestman was a Mohawk. I have many many other memories of the OLD ice rink from the late 50's
Thanks for making my day
Skating pensioner

Welcome Skating Pensioner,
I suppose all of us who ice skated at Spring Hill are now 'pensioners' and we live with our happy memories of that special time in our lives. I went to the Scotland Easter meets by Night Trains and a couple of times on good old Vickers Viscount aeroplanes. The coach trips to Richmond were always special with the dance after skating. I try to remember the name of the coach firm but memory fails.
oldmohawk:)
ps...Forgot to ask have you got any photos ?

Last edited:
Its great to have (SKATING PENSIONER) on board "I have sent you a PM" .hope you have more memories to post as Phil (oldmohawk) & I (the BARON) seem to have run out for the time being,may be we need a trigger to help the OLD GREY CELLS so post any you may have please.
PS or any Photos.

Does anyone remember the guy that was trying to break the record for "Pole Sitting" ? i have a feeling that it was done outside the rink,where he sat for days in a barrel at the top of a pole, any photos around, he was certainly in the papers. Max

Back