• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

Hi pamhol,yes those were the days never needed a locker for your kit bags just left them on or under the seat at rink side,you must have been at the rink around the same time as Phil & I do you have any pic's to share ?
GREAT DAYS REMEMBERED

hi pam, don't know if you remember but, you and mick took me there when I was about 13 for my first visit to an ice rink, and I went loads of times after, used to love it.
regards and love to you all, from your cousin paul

T
Keith_off_to_Hockey_practice_1960.jpg

The above is the way I would have looked at the time, Pam, Just getting ready to go to hockey practice early Sunday morning.

Hi Pam,
Yes, I used to sit to the left of the shop to put my skates on,and left my shoes, coats etc on the chairs and never lost anything. I did once leave my new gaberdine mac there one night and later found a small hole in it caused by accidental contact with a cigarette.
Phil (oldmohawk)

Hi all, wonderful memories........I was at Springhill from about 1958 until, I think 1963 or 64. I don't have any pics. too young to think of taking pics for the future....Nic pic of you though, Baron. I used to go 3 or 4 times a week, loved it. Hi Paul, I remember you coming with us...you came a lot of places with us if I remember rightly. Those were the days, all fun, no responsibilities - Aaaah!!!

Hi Paul, I remember you coming with us. We were there as often as we could be, loved the place..... do you think you could skate now?????? We have taken Amy to the rink near to us, Richard took her round, I just looked on, too many old bones to break now!!!! Richard is very good on the ice, as a teenager, he was a member of the roller rink nearby and went often and I think if you can do one, you can do the other......

Wonderful innocent days.....do you get your name Mohawk from the Brummie Mohawks???
Hi Pam -
I used to be a 'youngmohawk' and my avatar is the club badge. I'm not sure whether you have seen the pics buried deep in this long thread. I put a gallery of mini pics in post 414 pointing to some of the posts which have the full size pics restored, and the memories and banter about them from skaters who were there all those years ago, and Keith (The Baron) can still skate ...
oldmohawk

Last edited:
Hi there, Watched the video of the Baron. Fantastic, not everyone has their own personal ice rink!!! Still got the balance too!!! Well done......I haven't seen the pics, will try to look them up. Wonderful things - memories....

We often skated at Wyndley Pool Sutton Park in the 1950s/1960s as earlier photos show and used an old fashioned cafe on the side of the pool which had a large open fire, beans on toast, hot bovril etc. In 1895 a well dressed group from the Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield were curling on the pool.

wyndley.jpg

Last edited:
Looked up the pics. Wonderful. Memories of days when we were young and not afraid of anything. Loved watching the Mohawks.......

Nice Pic Phill, If you look in the background you can see the old Wyndley timber Mill, Played hockey on the pool, Happy days skating outdoors so glad I was able to do it once again last winter,fingers crossed it will not be a one off :0) sorry for you guys who need to move around in that sort of weather.
Please keep the Tread alive FOLKS.

What lovely pics and memories. I do wish I had been old enough and well off enough to have a decent camera, so I could have captured some of the great times I had at that rink. Nice to see Terry Smith appearing again, he was a good friend of mine. Does anyone remember a young man who used to go there called John Wall?

Having just spoken to Art Hambridge (old Birmingham Mohawk & Birmingham Baron ) He wishes to be remembered to all on this thread & most of all Al & Miriam Banner friend from the past MOHAWK days.
I have posted a number of photos loaned by Art showing both Mohawks & Original Barons all bringing back so many happy memories.

Well folks its not long now to CHRISTMAS so can I say I hope you all have a good one & every thing you wish for comes true.

THE BARON

In the mini pic gallery I posted in #414 of some of the photos in this thread, I've put clickable blue text hyperlinks 'Go To Post' on photos leading to the posts where the original comments related to the photos were.
They work in my computer with Chrome and Firefox - wonder whether they work in anyone elses ?
I think there may be problems with the Apple Safari browser, and I've not tested with IE.
Go to post # 414 by clicking on Go To Post

I love this thread, I think I started it because it was where I had my first date with my husband. I had a terrible crush on one of the Mohawkes but he had a girl friend and I had to back off.:ambivalence:

I think Ray Clegg and Bill Jones where the ones with most lady admirers.
Springhill was an old rink but the Christmas Eve parties were great - mistletoe and cherry brandy, smuggled in because the ice rink had no bar, and New Year's Eve when everyone linked hands singing Auld Lang Syne.

Last edited:
NOW THAT MUST HAVE BEEN Bill Jones Di ? If you look back at the pics on this thread you will see him ,very much a ladies man lol :0)

My I wish all you guys & gals that skated at the old rink & have shared your memories on this thread A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR. Let not forget absent friends.

Keith (THE BARON)

May I also wish all who skated there A MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR from Phil (oldmohawk)

I thought I would have a fly over that little piece of Brum where I had so much fun years ago. Wow what changes !
They sell cars from the Ice Rink site. I can see one old building I recognise upper right, it used to be a library, how has it survived ? Maybe it is listed.
I suppose some parts of the area look more spacious and green compared to what I knew.

Ice_Rink.jpg

Back