• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Spring Hill roller rink

Re: spring hill rollar rink

hi phil..i cant recall seeing geno washington but most certainly our skates would have crossed as we were going there at the same time....happy days...

lyn

Hi Lyn,

Park Road, Villa St - Driver Southall Ltd - The Vine now the Roller Rink we must have more than crossed paths.....

Phil

its a small world phil...although park road holds no history to me the rest does...didnt have my own skates so i hired them..always asked for no 121 skates....i went to the ice rink a few weeks back and although it was ok and i enjoyed it it just was not the same as rollar skating...i was just wondering if you were one of the ones like me who turned up one night and the rollar rink was all boarded up..no notice given:(so we headed for the pub across the road...

lyn

Hi Lyn,
Sorry about the Park Road bit...got you mixed-up with someone else, probably "maggieuk", but I remembered you lived in Villa St, where I started work.

I don't remember when the rink was boarded-up.

When was that? Was it closed from then on.
Phil

yes phil..maggie is from park road....ive just realised you had stopped going around 69 so missed the closing of the rink...it was about 71 ish....and yes im afraid never reopened...became a car showroom and was later demolished...

Hi All

This brings back memories, who rembers the all nighters that they put on. You used to get a small breakfast around 4 to 5am as part of the admission.
They did a new years "all nighter" one year and when we came out it had been snowing it was so magical, we ended up in the middle of town to get one of the last all night services for home and had a snow ball fight with the others waiting on the other side of the road. I can not remember the road but it was at the back of Lewis's where all the late night services would stop on the hour.

They were good times, Charles

smashing memories charles...i did not do the all nighters but was there at least 5 nights a week...happy days...

lyn..

i wonder when time permits if this thread could be moved to the theatres..cinemas and rinks section please..

cheers

lyn

I went a few time with my friend Rosalynd we worked together at the same hairdressers shop. When Spring Hill closed we went to Silver Blades. Michael used to go at an earlier time to me his friend Brian Linsey known as Doc was the manager. I will have to get him to relay some stories..

I went a few time with my friend Rosalynd we worked together at the same hairdressers shop. When Spring Hill closed we went to Silver Blades. Michael used to go at an earlier time to me his friend Brian Linsey known as Doc was the manager. I will have to get him to relay some stories..

Wasn't "Doc" the DJ for sometime at the roller rink along with Les Ross?

He may well have been Michael says he had a lovely office at the roller rink with a wardrobe full of suits...

No Doc was the manager, i know because i worked as a red coat there and he nearly sacked me !!!! i used to knock around with les ross the things we got up to you would not believe, oh happy days

hi dalehunt and welcome to the forum...happy days indeed at the rollar rink and so sad when it closed its doors...i do have a couple of photos of it so if you give me a few mins i will post them on here...

lyn

taken when it was an ice rink...

roller20rink20springhill.jpg

oh my goordd ! i remember wearing those red coats what bab magnets they were , also worked in the skating room and cloak room , worked and played there 7 nights a week, as soon as you started there you put a deposit down for your own skates, well you woul'nt wear thier rubbish skates would you (so uncool)

lol dale..i had no choice but to wear the hire skates as i was not working when i used to go there...used to try and get the same ones everytime i went..what years were you there then...i think it may have been a bit before me...

hi Astoness if my memory serves me I started going about 1965 up until about a year before it closed , believe it or not the rink was a massive part of my life (so sad) we all got the number 8 from aston cross, started going once or twice a week until i got myself a job there , then every night and weekends to. so if you went around that time there is a good chance i've met you, doc Holladay was the manager and Les Ross worked there , our little gang spent many a late night early morning drinking and lisening to les's records in his d j room.

You know it sounds like you guys had as much fiun as we did when it was the ICE RINK great days & very happy memories KEEP THEM COMMING :0)

We had such fun in the 60s at The Rink ....I Can smell those boots now. My friends and i would put panstik on our lips in the ladies but made sure it came off on the way home as we were still at school . I remember the roar of the skates when Nutrocker by Bee Bumble and the Stingers was played .Then on the way home the rush to get to the no8 bustop before the crowds got there.

oh yes kieth we had so much fun..it was my life for a good couple of years before it closed...used to go at least 5 nights a week so i bet our paths did cross dale..i also jumped the no 8 bus from nursery road as i lived in villa st at the time..do you remember the DJ frankie (mop of black curlie hair) who came after less ross left he is now living in australia and still a DJ...i have posted this before but i remember vividly the tuesday night that we all turned up and the rink was all boarded up..no warning at all of if closing..we were gutted to say the least so we all traisped over the the pub opposite to drown our sorrows...

lyn

Back