• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Spring Hill Passage

you certainly do josie...and what a coinsidence that your rellie and our dad were both born there..

josie
No 35 is shown in red on the c 1950 map below
I know this is an old post but wonder if you could help me. Is it possible to extend the area of this map to the right so that it shows the area of Spring Hill up to the Monument Road junction?

Here you are, showing 7 back 77 in red

View attachment 168420
First, apologies for posting here, it should really be on the Spring Hill post, but it caught my I eye!
Mike - Thank you for enlarging that map! The house at the back of 152 on Spring Hill appears to be 2/152 whereas it should be 1/152. This is where my great-grand parents lived from about 1920-1946, until my great-grandfather died in Western Road Hospital (Dudley Road)
Dave H

Last edited:
I assume that the marked house is 2/152 as there were actually 5 house listed as back of 152 on the 1939 eroll (I didn't post #5 as it was on the next page of the eroll). It looks as if on the map Mike has posted (from the old maps site) that some of the houses have gone.
1649346722953.png

I assume that the marked house is 2/152 as there were actually 5 house listed as back of 152 on the 1939 eroll (I didn't post #5 as it was on the next page of the eroll). It looks as if on the map Mike has posted (from the old maps site) that some of the houses have gone.
View attachment 168920
Thanks for the reply Janice. It seems that the 1939 e-roll differs from the 1939 Register. No matter! I have a group photograph which does appear to be the house at the back of 152.
Dave H

William & Lydia Mason that lived at 1/152 between 1920 & 1946, were my great grandparents
Mason Family.jpeg
The lady to the far left-hand side was my grandmother, Louisa, born 1905
Dave H

Thanks for the reply Janice. It seems that the 1939 e-roll differs from the 1939 Register. No matter! I have a group photograph which does appear to be the house at the back of 152.
Dave H
How strange. 1939 reg only has 1 back of 152 (but it does match the eroll) so assume the other houses were empty.

How strange. 1939 reg only has 1 back of 152 (but it does match the eroll) so assume the other houses were empty.
That's what threw me with Mikes map. I knew the Masons lived about no.152. but when I saw Mikes map I started going deeper into my tree! The picture appears to be taken in the yard at the back of 152 & there is a little glimpse of the passage way to the right-hand side of my photograph. I don't know when exactly when the picture was taken or what the occasion was (they seem to be wearing their besties and have button-holes (what is the female equivalent?)
They were all born in Worcester & I believe William & Lydia had 14 children, although up to now I have only found 12. 5 died at a young age. It was after the youngest died that they moved to Birmingham.
Dave H

Last edited:
An aerial view dated 1947 of the area. Court 20 is in the centre of the view and it's surface has been lightly shaded pink for identification. Eyre Street is labelled.
Crt_20_Eyre_St_1947.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove'

An aerial view dated 1947 of the area. Court 20 is in the centre of the view and it's surface has been lightly shaded pink for identification. Eyre Street is labelled.
View attachment 168924
image source 'britainfromabove'
Thank you Thank you! This is the first time I have managed to locate the area and what it looked like when my Mom was born, better still this is on a photograph from the year she was born....you are a Star!

Hi! Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but would you @mikejee have the map section north west/north of this image too?

I'm curious about the area by Herne Close/Rosebery St/Camden St going onto Clissold St. I can just see the hint of College St and a Rosebery Passage on that map you posted but that passage goes onto George St. Very interesting as we now have much shorter Rosebery St that stops at Herne Close and a separate George Street West instead. Thank you.

First, apologies for posting here, it should really be on the Spring Hill post, but it caught my I eye!
Mike - Thank you for enlarging that map! The house at the back of 152 on Spring Hill appears to be 2/152 whereas it should be 1/152. This is where my great-grand parents lived from about 1920-1946, until my great-grandfather died in Western Road Hospital (Dudley Road)
Dave H

Hi,
It looks to me like there was no clear distinction between whether the houses were back /150 or 152. There were 5 houses listed as 1 - 5 in that court 4 of which were /150 with no room for any other houses actually behind 150.

I lived at 8 Back 67 Tilton Road in the 60's, the court entrance being between 67 and 69, and although my house was on the 67 side ,
my Council rent book said 8/69

Kind regards
Dave

Back