• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Spring Grove laundry

Yes, I remember it very well. My mother worked there too, for many years from about 1962 until it closed. I remember being taken there as a young child, it seemed hellish, hot, dark in places, water on the floor and steam spurting out of loud churning machinery. Years later I worked there during my school holidays. Not sure I’ll be able to answer but was there anything specific you wanted to know?

Spent many hours watching works football matches (and playing by the Cole) on the playing field adjacent to the laundry during the 1960s.
Here's an old photo of the interior, when it was called Mirror Laundry.

Sparkhill Formans Road Mirror Laundry 1905b.jpg

That phot is amazing. The infrastructure of the building looked more or less the same in the 1970s with large steam presses replacing individual irons. I worked on the presses during my school holidays which was an experience to say the least.

Back