• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sports Newspapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terence David Lines

master brummie
Some new additions this week
Solihull Times1992, 1996, 1998
Lichfield Post1989-1990
Solihull News1988-1989, 1998
Mikejee we all remember the Sports Argus. But there used to be the Blue Mail on a Saturday night. I remember uncle Alf giving me the money to go to the paper shop in School Rd at 5.55pm as if his life depended on it. It usually arrived about 6pm.

I used to wait at the Newsagents on a Saturday afternoon, with what I then thought were the "old men" (many of them were probably younger than I am now though, funny how everyone seems so much older when you are about 7 years old ;)). I really enjoyed hearing them talk about the great games of yesteryear and of the likes of Finney, Matthews and Billy Wright. Thirty odd years later on, I myself was standing by the counter at my local newsagents, talking with Alf and his other customers, about current and past games, waiting for The Sports Argus & Sporting Star, when they remained in publication. Happy past days and what a good read those papers were after the match.

If memory serves well I think the Argos was more popular than the Blue Mail. This was based on my view things during the period 1948 - 1954.

I used to wait at the Newsagents on a Saturday afternoon, with what I then thought were the "old men" (many of them were probably younger than I am now though, funny how everyone seems so much older when you are about 7 years old ;)). I really enjoyed hearing them talk about the great games of yesteryear and of the likes of Finney, Matthews and Billy Wright. Thirty odd years later on, I myself was standing by the counter at my local newsagents, talking with Alf and his other customers, about current and past games, waiting for The Sports Argus & Sporting Star, when they remained in publication. Happy past days and what a good read those papers were after the match.
God am I that old. I saw Finney Matthews and Wright play.

Terence you're a very lucky man to have seen Finney, Matthews and Wright play. I missed them by a couple of years, but I did get to see Pele, Cruyff and Beckenbauer play, which is some compensation.

Sorry to hear that you lost your Mom, so early Terence. Your Aunt Lilian gave you a great football education back then with the Wolves. I think that England might have given Brazil a game in the 1970 Final, although I agree they had a superb team then, I had hoped we could win it again and I'm still hoping 52 years later.

Sorry to hear that you lost your Mom, so early Terence. Your Aunt Lilian gave you a great football education back then with the Wolves. I think that England might have given Brazil a game in the 1970 Final, although I agree they had a superb team then, I had hoped we could win it again and I'm still hoping 52 years later.
Oh no win it again myself and Anthony Jinx were absolutely paralytic when the Final whistle went in 1966. In those days in the Channel Islands the pubs were open 11am till 11pm but closed all day Sunday, we had been in the pub since about 11.05. Then we had extra time. Pony Ale 11old pence a pint. Cigarettes we used to buy in 200s as no tax on them. Disque Blue and Gitanes French cigarettes. When we came back from the Channel Isles I had to go to the tobacco kiosk in Corporation St to get them Flints stores looked at me as if I was mental when I asked for them locally. As for 1970, 2.0 up against Germany and then we lose 2.3. Peter Bonetti in goal, was he a substitute.

as mike said on post 6 this thread was going off topic...as we have had at least another 9 off topic posts posted since then this thread will be locked

the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back