• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

spitfire

The machine-gun synchronisation method was devised by Antony Fokker and first fitted to the Fokker E1 which surprised the British and French pilots at the time. The system was simple - the propellor hub operated a cam which triggered the firing of a round only when the propellor was horizontal during its arc. Apparently it was very reliable, and Vickers pinched it by examining shot-down and captured German aircraft. Prior to that, crude 'deflector plates' were bolted to the inside face of the propellor to deflect bullets - they went anywhere, and I've read that more than once a pilot was killed or injured by deflected bullets. I believe later systems were electrically-operated.

G

Dave M, Yes I read about that, I wish them all success, it will be a very lengthy and costly business, I have even made a donation !! Eric

Back