• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

spitfire

sidwho

master brummie
while travelling throu castel vale saw a big top tent, went and had a look and saw a spitfire an the back of a car trailer with main wings swept back. managed to take a few pictures, will try to upload later. managed to get a few words with the persons car the trailer was hiched upto. he said that the castel vale show was on Saturday and a propeller was going to be presented for something will try to find out more , kind reguards sidwho

Here in Pembroke we have a very active society reconstructing a Spitfire, They even raise funds via their own charity shop.

There was a programme on the tv last night about the Spitfire, and they said half of them were built at Castle Bromwich, it was a good programme

I seem to remember all sorts of aeroplane wings and fusilages being transported on 60ft traillers along the Bristol Rd at Selly Oak towards were we kids thought was Castlebromwich.

test upload of spitfire on trailer

Attachments

• IMAG0326.jpg
    IMAG0326.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 59
  • IMAG0328.jpg
    IMAG0328.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0329.jpg
    IMAG0329.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0331.jpg
    IMAG0331.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMAG0332.jpg
    IMAG0332.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 57
This may be of interest - [h=1]Danish Presentation Spitfires at War[/h]During the Second World War not only Danish men and women were in the air. Free Danes abroad donated £ 40,113 for a number of Spitfires flown by Danish pilots in Royal Air Force squadrons.

800px_BL831_K_small.jpg

When I was a kid we used to ride our bikes to Evesham a lot. I remember there was a garage on our route, in Studley, that we used to pass that had a Spitfire on its forecourt. We didn't even bother to stop and look at it, Spits were common in the late 40s-early 50s.

Recently I watched the John Sergeant program: "The Spitfire, Britain's Flying Past" and managed to get a few photos of the planes being built at the Castle Bromwich factory during WW2. Viv.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384353254.755773.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384353254.755773.jpg
    795.5 KB · Views: 50
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384353267.779324.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384353267.779324.jpg
    812.6 KB · Views: 47
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384353283.847188.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384353283.847188.jpg
    792.1 KB · Views: 48
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384353295.509338.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384353295.509338.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 50
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384353306.186387.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384353306.186387.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
Thanks for posting the photos Viv. It's always great to see photos of the assembly lines,etc.

hi all great pics of spifire production in factory, if you put in a search on google for spitfire factory Birmingham you should get quite a few more, the one of the toolroom shows most of the toolmakers in coller and tyies. I don't think that this is the norm for dress today, kind reguards sidwho

Also watched the John Sergeant program on the Spitfires. Very interested because my husbands parents, Walter and Iris Edmonds, both worked at the Castle Bromwich Factory, this is where they met each other. Walter was a Supervisor and Iris worked on the Wing Section. Walter left after joining the Amy during WW2.

Winson Churchill 1941.jpgView attachment 92642Spitfire_Production_Line_WW2[1].jpgspitfire1-340883[1].jpg

I am actually rebuilding a Spitfire ( albeit very slowly )so photographs showing production can be very useful for my project.

Anybody who has found any original photographs, manuals and even any original bolts/nuts/parts etc then please get in touch.

Regards

John

Also watched the John Sergeant program on the Spitfires. Very interested because my husbands parents, Walter and Iris Edmonds, both worked at the Castle Bromwich Factory, this is where they met each other. Walter was a Supervisor and Iris worked on the Wing Section. Walter left after joining the Amy during WW2.

Hi,

I work for Birmingham Museums and we are looking for people who worked on the Spitfire to interview them for a new exhibition. I was just wondering if your husband's parents would be interested in sharing their story, if they are still with us of course. We are also looking for photos or memorabilia from that time. Please do get in touch if you can help at all.

Many Thanks,

Lynsey Rutter (nee Fairweather)
Participation Coordinator, Birmingham Museums Trust

T: NEW 0121 3488271
E: [email protected]
T: @LynseyFair
B: https://blog.thinktank.ac
www.birminghammuseums.org.uk
www.thinktank.ac

The Memorial Flight is based at RAF Conningsby in Linconshire They have one or more Spitfires also a Lancaster. They can be booked for a fly past. They come over the North Worcester NVTEC Show in June. You can visit and walk down one side of the hanger where they are stored on days when they are not flying.

002.jpg003.jpg In Pembrokeshire there is a Spit Fire restoration Company with a charity shop assisting in their money raising efforts. The enamel advertising aid looks particularly impressive with a lovely picture of a Spit Fire.

Most enjoyable day yesterday at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford. Accompanied by my son in laws elder brother. Very knowledgeable man. (Ex. Phantom pilot, Memorial Flight Spitfire pilot, and ex. Cathay Pacific Captain). Now retired.

On display there is a beautifully restored 1939 MK1 Spitfire, originally built at Castle Bromwich.

I wanted to cover it with a large MADE IN BIRMINGHAM label, but I doubt the museum curators would have approved.

Currently, there are around six or seven Spitfires on display, but sadly, no Hurricane. Eddie.

Eddie.

Most enjoyable day yesterday at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford. Accompanied by my son in laws elder brother. Very knowledgeable man. (Ex. Phantom pilot, Memorial Flight Spitfire pilot, and ex. Cathay Pacific Captain). Now retired.

On display there is a beautifully restored 1939 MK1 Spitfire, originally built at Castle Bromwich.

I wanted to cover it with a large MADE IN BIRMINGHAM label, but I doubt the museum curators would have approved.

Currently, there are around six or seven Spitfires on display, but sadly, no Hurricane. Eddie.

Eddie.

Hello Eddie,

Yes Duxford is a fantastic place to visit especially as it was the first RAF station to have the Spitfire with 19squadron in 1938 and still has them flying from there, however no Mk1 spitfire was ever built in Birmingham, all Mk1's were built in Southampton, the first Spitfire completed at Castle Bromwich was in June 1940 and was a MkII (Mk2), and test flown by Alex Henshaw.

Regards

John

Well at least Eddie you were made in BRUM! EDDIE. Did you drop by Lakenheath Paul was there for a few weeks, or have they closed that one? John Crump OldBrit Parker, Colorado USA

Back