• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Spitfire Broach sold by a Birmingham Auctioneers

Janet Hunt

master brummie
A Spitfire Brooch sold at a Fellows Auctioneers Birmingham today for £2169.20. It was expected to fetch between £400 and £600. It belonged to a SGT W H T Farmer an RAF pilot based in Cornwall. I never even new they existed. Apparently they were awarded to pilots who had to eject from their aircraft, Sgt Farmer was shot down over France in July 1942 and was taken prisoner. The Brooches were awarded by the caterpillar club formed in 1922 (by parachute makers Irvin). They represented the silk worm which can lower itself gently by a silky thread. Very interesting stuff, they say you learn new things every day...I certainly do!

I've got a little Spitfire pin I bought from the shop in the Museum and Art Gallery a few years ago - I don't think it's worth that sort of money though :laughing:

Article and photo here.
I posted it as I was curious what looked like as I think Janet has given us the facts.
Suppose I should have called it a Caterpillar brooch in my post as calling it a spitfire one looks like it was only meant for spitfire pilots....silly me! sorry.

There was also a goldfish brooch for pilots who survived crashing into the sea.
This goldfish award was presented by the makers of the emergency dinghys, P.B.Cow. That's a name that should be familiar to photographers, remember "Cow Gum" used to mount photographs before the days of Spray Mount in an aerosol.

Back