• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

SPIERS John b Birmingham 1903.

John Edward Spiers b1902 appears to stay in Bham, dying in 1966.

John Spiers b1903 possibly moves to Leicester, dying in 1956.
Hi MWS,the death of John Spier's ( born 1903) in Leicester in 1956 is a real possibility so can you please tell me where you got this information from so that I can follow it up,many thanks for you help Ray Evason
Edith Parrett seems to have originated in Cheshire (Crewe).

A possibly second marriage for John Spiers to a May Sculthorpe in Leicester. Don't appear to be any children from either marriage.
'Hi MWS,I have sent off for the marriage certificate for John Spier's and May Sculthorpe,in Leicester in the1940s And will update this thread when I receive it thanks for your help

Hi pjmburns,thank you so much for this information,you are a gem
I have researched this John Spier's,and he was born in 1904( not 1903) close though! And there was another family living in Leicester with a son John Spier's born in 1904, so I think this record is of him,but it was worth a try,and thank you.

I have researched this John Spier's,and he was born in 1904( not 1903) close though! And there was another family living in Leicester with a son John Spier's born in 1904, so I think this record is of him,but it was worth a try,and thank you.

The other John Spiers in Leicester appears to be a John William Spiers born 8 Dec 1904, died 1996.

The John Spiers who dies in 1956 is still likely to be your John Spiers. As we know your John Spiers was born in November he wouldn't have been 53 until later that year, so at time of death his age would have been 52, as it says.

The other John Spiers in Leicester appears to be a John William Spiers born 8 Dec 1904, died 1996.

The John Spiers who dies in 1956 is still likely to be your John Spiers. As we know your John Spiers was born in November he wouldn't have been 53 until later that year, so at time of death his age would have been 52, as it says.
Hi MWS,I have re checked John Spier's who died in 1956 age 52,and found he was the son of Samuel and Emma Spier's born in 1904 in Leicester,so unfortunately not my John Spier's but it was a good try and thank you for helping, Ray.

Ray, the John Spiers son of Samuel and Emma Spiers was the John William Spiers I've mentioned. He died in 1996, not 1956.

Ray, the John Spiers son of Samuel and Emma Spiers was the John William Spiers I've mentioned. He died in 1996, not 1956.
Thanks MWS,Johns parents were George and Alice so we can rule this one out,you have been a great help to me,best wishes Ray

Any information available about the above person for our member ray evason please, Thanks Alberta.
Spiers ancestors ,children,grandchildren are you out there ?? alice Spiers ( born 1908 in birmingham) married William Vincent In 1927, then there is Mary Spiers ( born 1910 in Birmingham) did she marry? And have children who are still alive,any help please.

Alice seems to have had 4 children - Joan M b1928, Raymond W b1931, Maurice R b1933 & Aundrey M b1935.

For some reason Alice seems to have taken the middle name Veronica and her death is registered 1981 in Solihull.

Mary like Alice also seems to have taken the middle name Veronica and she seems to have married twice. Firstly to Walter H Bayliss and secondly to Hector W Stanton.

She possibly had 3 children from her first marriage - Tony W b1932, Henry b & d 1937 & Barbara b1940.

Her death is registered 1992 in East Staffordshire.

A lack of corroboration makes things less certain after 1911 and especially after 1939 but...

Joan M Vincent married Andrew D Lockwood and seemed to have moved to West Yorkshire and possibly had one daughter.

Raymond W Vincent possibly married a Margaret A Lycett and had one daughter.

Maurice R Vincent seems to have died in 1944.

Audrey M Vincent seems to have married a Kenneth J Bustin and possibly had 3 children.

Tony W Bayliss married Judith McHenry but doesn't appear to have had any children. Deaths for both Tony & Judith registered 2013 in Cornwall.

Not sure about Barbara Bayliss, there are too many to be sure.

Alice seems to have had 4 children - Joan M b1928, Raymond W b1931, Maurice R b1933 & Aundrey M b1935.

For some reason Alice seems to have taken the middle name Veronica and her death is registered 1981 in Solihull.

Mary like Alice also seems to have taken the middle name Veronica and she seems to have married twice. Firstly to Walter H Bayliss and secondly to Hector W Stanton.

She possibly had 3 children from her first marriage - Tony W b1932, Henry b & d 1937 & Barbara b1940.

Her death is registered 1992 in East Staffordshire.
Hi MWS, AliceSpiers ( maiden name Slynn) had 5 children,Nellie,born1899, Charles born 1901 John born 13th Nov 1903,Alice born 1908 and Mary,born 1910,all born in Birmingham, their mother Alice died in 1914,and Nellie and Charles were sent to Canada on a Catholic immigration association programme and went to Ottawa,and were put in a Catholic home there,Nellie married a widower Thomas Merchant,in 1919 this marriage did not "work out" she returned to England the same year on 4th Oct 1919, Charles stayed in Canada, the 5 children became Orphans when their father, George died in the sanatorium Yardley,on 23rd Aug 1916, his address was Skinners lane Birmingham( off bottom end of Hurst st) we think the 3 remaining children were sent to the cottage homes in Erdington ( waiting for confirmation on this ), Alice went on to marry a Mr William Vincent in 1927 and lived in Sparkbrook,John married Edith Parrett on 23rd Dec 1930, any other information from the Spier's or Vincent or Parrett ancestors would be so very much appreciated
A lack of corroboration makes things less certain after 1911 and especially after 1939 but...

Joan M Vincent married Andrew D Lockwood and seemed to have moved to West Yorkshire and possibly had one daughter.

Raymond W Vincent possibly married a Margaret A Lycett and had one daughter.

Maurice R Vincent seems to have died in 1944.

Audrey M Vincent seems to have married a Kenneth J Bustin and possibly had 3 children.

Tony W Bayliss married Judith McHenry but doesn't appear to have had any children. Deaths for both Tony & Judith registered 2013 in Cornwall.

Not sure about Barbara scheme,and stayed in Ottawa, when their father died in 1916,and were now orphans,we think the were put in the ,"cottage homes" in Erdington (I am waiting for confirmation for this by the very helpful,Children's trust,who hold all the records) Alice went on to marry. William Edward Vincent July/Sept 1927, John Spiers ,married Edith Parrett on 23rd Dec 1930, we think they lived at 50 Gipsy lane ( 1935 electoral roll) they parted at the end of this year and John went to Leicester So I am hoping that there are children or Grandchildren of the Spiers or Vincent family who could help with my search,many thanks for your kind help, Ray.

Hi Mikejee I have sent off for a copy of the marriage certificate for John Spier's and May Scunthorpe in 1942,in order to confirm that it is the John Spiers in my family, I will keep you posted, ,and yes Edith Parrett was born in Crew,Cheshire,on 10th March,1901,in 1911 they had moved to 53 Cockshutt lane,Wolverhampton,Staffs,where her father George Parrett,worked at the Sunbeam motor company,as a " Trimmer",George died in 1918,and Edith and her mother Ellen,moved to Kings Heath,and in 1930 were living at 58 Highbury road ,Kings Heath,( off Vicarage Road),are there any relatives of Edith or Ellen,who could help,?
Hi Mikejee,Promi sed to update you,the marriage certificate has arrived for John Spier's marrying May Sculthorpe at Christ Church Leicester on 20th June 1942,she was 27 and he was 38,he had been a lodger at her Fathers house 153 Bedford st,Leicester,he is now in the Army gives his profession as Soldier ( must have been home on leave for the wedding) so thanks for your great help in moving my search forward ,I have contacted war service records for help in Johns service record,to find out which regiment he was in,and rank and service number Etc,Ray Evason

hi ray glad you have moved forward with your search..just a reminder to anyone who orders ww2 records that they may have a long wait..a friend of mine waited for over 12 months to get them :rolleyes:

all the best

lyn

hi ray glad you have moved forward with your search..just a reminder to anyone who orders ww2 records that they may have a long wait..a friend of mine waited for over 12 months to get them :rolleyes:

all the best

lyn
Hi Lyn,many thanks to you and all the Birmingham History forum members for their kind help in the search for my Father ,there is still a lot more to do,but I now feel "complete" it was a great joy to find him and to now Know him,best wishes to everyone Ray,I am still hoping to find a photograph of him,and have contacted the Leicester historical group,to see if there are members who are ancestors of the Sculthorpe family,who just might !!! Have photographs of the Wedding of John Spier's and May Sculthorpe on 20th June 1942,and also to the Leicester Mercury newspaper to see if they reported the wedding of a Soldier,on that day and took pictures( I know these are " long shots) but if you don't try you wont get,I will keep interested members in the loop,if and when I get a reply.

Last edited:
Back