• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

SPIERS John b Birmingham 1903.

The name Spiers reminds me of a previous thread concerning Cyril "Wikie" Spiers who played in goal for the Villa. I wonder if there is a connection ?

Edith Parrett seems to have originated in Cheshire (Crewe).

A possibly second marriage for John Spiers to a May Sculthorpe in Leicester. Don't appear to be any children from either marriage.
Yes Edith Parrett was born in Crew ,Cheshire,in 1901, the family then moved to Wolverhampton,and then to Kings Heath Birmingham.

Edith Parrett seems to have originated in Cheshire (Crewe).

A possibly second marriage for John Spiers to a May Sculthorpe in Leicester. Don't appear to be any children from either marriage.
Hi Mikejee I have sent off for a copy of the marriage certificate for John Spier's and May Scunthorpe in 1942,in order to confirm that it is the John Spiers in my family, I will keep you posted, ,and yes Edith Parrett was born in Crew,Cheshire,on 10th March,1901,in 1911 they had moved to 53 Cockshutt lane,Wolverhampton,Staffs,where her father George Parrett,worked at the Sunbeam motor company,as a " Trimmer",George died in 1918,and Edith and her mother Ellen,moved to Kings Heath,and in 1930 were living at 58 Highbury road ,Kings Heath,( off Vicarage Road),are there any relatives of Edith or Ellen,who could help,?

Last edited:
The name Spiers reminds me of a previous thread concerning Cyril "Wikie" Spiers who played in goal for the Villa. I wonder if there is a connection ?

Hi Pedtocut,unfortunately I don't think this Villa player is the John Spier's I am looking for,I wish it was,but many thanks for your help and interest in my Search.

Thanks Alberta,for your help and interest,I have John Spier's father who was George Spier's, died 1916, his mother was Alice Spier's ( maiden name SLYNN) who died in 1914 best wishes Ray
The 1911 census shows that the Spier's family had moved to 4 back of 105 Floodgate St,Birmingham.where George and Alice Spier's had 5 children,Nellie- Charles - John -Alice - Mary ,there must be some ancestors of these 5 children,and if so I hope they will get to read this thread and reply,fingers crossed thank you to everyone who has helped me in my long search.

Kings Head was No.67 Allison st
i guess it depends on which way the numbering went and if it went up on ones or twos...if the the kings head was no 67 and the numbering went from left to right in twos then no 63 would be the house with the lone lady on the doorstep..maybe someone could check the numbering

lyn

I think the Walter Parrett in the e roll might be her Uncle (George seems to have had a brother Walter).
I can't find them on the erolls after that date.

i guess it depends on which way the numbering went and if it went up on ones or twos...if the the kings head was no 67 and the numbering went from left to right in twos then no 63 would be the house with the lone lady on the doorstep..maybe someone could check the numbering

lyn
Lyn
The numbering in the street was continuous , not even one side, odd the other. The picture labels the houses as 64.65. Probably the pub is actually 66,67 , just labelled 67, as so often is done

Lyn
The numbering in the street was continuous , not even one side, odd the other. The picture labels the houses as 64.65. Probably the pub is actually 66,67 , just labelled 67, as so often is done
Hi Lyn and Astoness,yes the picture shows houses 65 and 66 and the kings head pub was 67, so the demolished house was 64,where my father John Spier's was born on 13th Nov 1903,its quite weird to think that the people standing in their doorways were next door neighbours and would have known my father's parents George and Alice Spier's ,the 1909 Kelly directory,does not record The Kings Head Pub,so all these buildings could have been demolished,shortly after the picture was taken ,thank you so much for your help and your interest in my search.

Last edited:
Ray,
I think you have your house numbers slightly mixed up.
The 2 houses are labelled as 64 and 65 (Not 66 and 65 as you indicate in your reply #33)
Mikejee has confirmed that the Kings Head PH was most likely 66&67.
So the vacant space to the right of the houses would have been number 63.
Allison St 64 -65.JPG

Ray,
I think you have your house numbers slightly mixed up.
The 2 houses are labelled as 64 and 65 (Not 66 and 65 as you indicate in your reply #33)
Mikejee has confirmed that the Kings Head PH was most likely 66&67.
So the vacant space to the right of the houses would have been number 63.
View attachment 154775
Well spotted,which means that the first house past the demo?ished house is 64 Allison Street where my father was born on Nov 13th 1903,and could the lady standing in the doorway,be his mother and my Grandmother WOW!!! Thanks for your valuable input

You said your father was born at number 63 which would be the demolished space.
Hi MWS,yes you are right have just re-checked and it was number 63 Allison street so the demolished house is where he was born ( I should have gone to Specsavers !!!) Thanks for your correction,it must be old age !!

Hi MWS,yes you are right have just re-checked and it was number 63 Allison street so the demolished house is where he was born ( I should have gone to Specsavers !!!) Thanks for your correction,it must be old age !!
Hi MWS,an update on the great picture of
1935 entry at 50 Gipsy Lane - they had gone by 1939
View attachment 154763loo
Hi pjmburns thank you for this information ,how did you find it and from what source,it looks as though they were living with her parents at the time in 1935, they both separated on Christmas day in 1935, and he moved to Leicester ( where he can be found on the 1939 census ) many thanks for your kind help Ray Evason

Hi MWS,an update on your great picture of 64 and 65 Allison st, the 1901 census shows the Spier's family George and Alice living there with two children and with another family William and Elizabeth Lee with 4 children,( two families And 10 people)which was quite common in 1901!, but John Spier's birth certificate show he was born at number 63 Allison st on 13th Nov 1903, so we have two possibilities either the family moved next door,or( and this is my educated guess) Alice went next door to the neighbours house to have her baby,this was very common before the NHS,your input has been so valuable so many thanks , Ray Evason

Hi MWS,an update on the great picture of

Hi pjmburns thank you for this information ,how did you find it and from what source,it looks as though they were living with her parents at the time in 1935, they both separated on Christmas day in 1935, and he moved to Leicester ( where he can be found on the 1939 census ) many thanks for your kind help Ray Evason
As I said before those records are on Ancestry.

Back