• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

SPIERS John b Birmingham 1903.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any information available about the above person for our member ray evason please, Thanks Alberta.

John Edward Spiers b1902 appears to stay in Bham, dying in 1966.

John Spiers b1903 possibly moves to Leicester, dying in 1956.

john Spier's was born on 13th Nov 1903 at 63 Allison st B' ham,his father was George Spier's ( a brass polisher) and his mother was Alice ,maiden name Slynn,,Alice died in 1914 and his father died in 1916, when he became an orphan at age 12, they were living in Skinners lane( off the bottom of Hurst st) in 1916 ,I think they went into the cottage homes in Erdington between 1915 and 1921,( In am waiting for info from the children's trust to confirm this ) in 1930 he was lodging at No:- 37 Long st,Sparkbrook,and on the 23rd Dec 1930 he married Edith Parrett,( from Kings Heath) at the Bham registry Office,I don't know where in BHam they went to live! The next timeline was on Xmas day 1935,there was a family row,serious enough to involve the police being called,but John Spier's had left and could not be found,by luck I traced him on the 1939 census,where he was lodging at 14 Russell square,Leicester,Leicestershire,occupation Bricklayers labourer,and said he was single!!,but there is no record of a divorce,he would have been age 35, and would have had to enlist in the forces for WW2,( he was not in an exempt occupation,and should have been medically fit),which service did he join?,I am hoping there are Spier's ancestors on the Birmingham History site who can fill in some of the gaps in my research, where did john live when he married Edith? What caused the family Row in 1935 ?,what service did he join in 1939/1940?,did he survive the war ? What happened to him after the war? Did he have any children ? When did he die? I am hoping there are some ancestors of the Spier's family on this site,and will know the answer to some of these questions many thanks PLEASE HELP, Ray Evason

Last edited:
Thanks MWS,for your help and interest yes he did move to Leicester and will research the death date of 1956 and 1966.

Last edited:
1911 Turf Pitts Lane Erdington

John Spiers age 45 Gardener
Alice age 42 ,wife
Gertie 21
Lily 11
John 8
Eva 4
Leonard 11 months all born birmingham.

John Spiers father William, married Alice Thorley at St. Peter and St. Paul Aston, 10th sept 1888
Thanks Alberta,for your help and interest,I have John Spier's father who was George Spier's, died 1916, his mother was Alice Spier's ( maiden name SLYNN) who died in 1914 best wishes Ray

Edith Parrett seems to have originated in Cheshire (Crewe).

A possibly second marriage for John Spiers to a May Sculthorpe in Leicester. Don't appear to be any children from either marriage.

Hi MSW,yes John Spier's was born on 13th Nov 1903 at 63 Allison st Birmingham,thank you for your help and Interest Ray.

The name Spiers reminds me of a previous thread concerning Cyril "Wikie" Spiers who played in goal for the Villa. I wonder if there is a connection ?

A possibly second marriage for John Spiers to a May Sculthorpe in Leicester. Don't appear to be any children from either marriage.
Yes Edith Parrett was born in Crew ,Cheshire,in 1901, the family then moved to Wolverhampton,and then to Kings Heath Birmingham.

Hi Mikejee I have sent off for a copy of the marriage certificate for John Spier's and May Scunthorpe in 1942,in order to confirm that it is the John Spiers in my family, I will keep you posted, ,and yes Edith Parrett was born in Crew,Cheshire,on 10th March,1901,in 1911 they had moved to 53 Cockshutt lane,Wolverhampton,Staffs,where her father George Parrett,worked at the Sunbeam motor company,as a " Trimmer",George died in 1918,and Edith and her mother Ellen,moved to Kings Heath,and in 1930 were living at 58 Highbury road ,Kings Heath,( off Vicarage Road),are there any relatives of Edith or Ellen,who could help,?

Last edited:
The name Spiers reminds me of a previous thread concerning Cyril "Wikie" Spiers who played in goal for the Villa. I wonder if there is a connection ?

Hi Pedtocut,unfortunately I don't think this Villa player is the John Spier's I am looking for,I wish it was,but many thanks for your help and interest in my Search.

Thanks Alberta,for your help and interest,I have John Spier's father who was George Spier's, died 1916, his mother was Alice Spier's ( maiden name SLYNN) who died in 1914 best wishes Ray
The 1911 census shows that the Spier's family had moved to 4 back of 105 Floodgate St,Birmingham.where George and Alice Spier's had 5 children,Nellie- Charles - John -Alice - Mary ,there must be some ancestors of these 5 children,and if so I hope they will get to read this thread and reply,fingers crossed thank you to everyone who has helped me in my long search.

Kings Head was No.67 Allison st
i guess it depends on which way the numbering went and if it went up on ones or twos...if the the kings head was no 67 and the numbering went from left to right in twos then no 63 would be the house with the lone lady on the doorstep..maybe someone could check the numbering

lyn

Back