• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Speedway

In post #39, I posted a picture of my dad on one of Geoff Bennett's speedway bikes, he had several...my dad worked for him and did the preparation on his bikes. This Geoff Bennett interview is quite interesting in an egotistical way.

Thank you, really interesting look back. Gerry.

Hi Gerry...Geoff talked about being in Italy during the war, being the start of his speedway days. My dad was his buddy over there too and did his motor bike tuning...
Dave A

Quite a lot of the early riders were from the military. I believe that "Tiger Hart" was from that background too.

A panoramic view of PB stadium in June 1949. Viv.

View attachment 131317
Post 47 shows a picture of the crowd at the starting line in 1947, looking towards the grandstand. This panorama gives a better idea of the size of the attendances at spectator sports in those days.

Here is a picture of the attendance of the greyhound meeting in 1939 at Hall Green, on a Saturday afternoon.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/greyhound-racing.49379/

Speedway training in 1946 to tackle shortage of riders. Viv.

Attachments

• C70F0148-3AA2-4E9F-978B-F45A68A47B97.jpeg
    C70F0148-3AA2-4E9F-978B-F45A68A47B97.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 10
great pictures and great memories...top photo is definitely 50's...I see Bill Jamieson, bottom knealing, 2nd from left. He was known as "autumn leaves" for obvious reasons...
Dave A

The photograph marked as 1953, has "Tiger" Hart as manager, wearing a suit! He has HARRY BASTABLE to his right, and Graham Warren to his left. Here is one of the last known photographs of the late Graham Warren. This was taken at his home in Australia. Gerry Warren at home.jpg

The aging process...changes everything. The blond bombshell no more! Graham Warren, the ladies favourite! He was a great rider, him and his partner Arthur Payne, the 1-2 punch consistently until Graham got injured, was never the same after that. It seemed that most riders suffering major injury became very tentative when they recovered. Harry Bastable, wasn't he and Alan Hunt with Cradley Heath before the Brummies?
Dave a

The aging process...changes everything. The blond bombshell no more! Graham Warren, the ladies favourite! He was a great rider, him and his partner Arthur Payne, the 1-2 punch consistently until Graham got injured, was never the same after that. It seemed that most riders suffering major injury became very tentative when they recovered. Harry Bastable, wasn't he and Alan Hunt with Cradley Heath before the Brummies?
Dave a

Yes, dear old CRADLEY HEATH. I recently disposed of a whole box full of Cradley Heath Programmes, to the CH Supporters club. I still have quite a few BRUMMIES and other programmes in a collection. Gerry

Back