• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Special constables Streetly WW1

Thanks for reminding me about that, Glennys Jean. I had almost completely forgotten about it.

I don't think I ever pursued the relationships between the Streetly Fodens and the related Cutlers, apart from writing, and putting online, what I knew of the wartime activity of the cousins, Linnaeus (Bill) Cutler (of Cutler's Garage, Chester Road, Streetly) and Arthur Foden (who farmed at Mill Green Farm, Chester Road, Streetly and tragically met his death in a farming accident there in 1944). It also emerged in this thread that a near-neighbour of mine on the Chester Road, Alice Lyon whom I knew well, was a Foden and that she had a further relative, Ada, living there up to the latter's death in 1940. (She must have overlapped me but I don't remember her). It would still be interesting to know how they all tied in with the James Foden whom you mention has having been appointed a Special Constable in 1915.

I also now have a better idea of the location of Manor Farm which lay at the heart of the naming of local roads and was the home of another Special. And in fact can remember what was left of the farm buildings adjacent to the Chester Road.

(I am not sure I recall the extent of your interest in/connection with Streetly. Over the last 12 or 18 months I have spent quite a bit of time writing up my own childhood memories of the area in the early 1940s before they entirely fade – and I with them! About 24 stand-alone articles so far and a further 15/20 or so to go. Mainly for the benefit of my own family members – when they are ancient and sad enough to want to wade through them. They are all accessible online. The odd ones use material I have posted here in the past, here and there, but now much tidied up and illustrated. Partly for that reason, but especially because they are boringly personal and very specific to an area which might not be of any interest to most members of BHF, I have not mentioned them here previously. But, if you - or any other member - would like a steer in that direction, please let me know).

Chris

Back