• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Special Constables in Elan Valley WW1

Stephanie K.

Brummie babby
Hello Everyone, I hope you can help. I am the Cultural Heritage officer at Elan Valley and I have recently been contacted about an old wooden dipping pen and nib 1 (2).JPG
The label reads

Used by Prince Albert, Duke of York, in September 1917 in Elan Valley

Does anyone know anything about this visit by "Bertie"? He would have been about 22 years old and before he married Elizabeth Bowes-
Lyon (the Queen Mum).

Apparently the pen belonged to Harry Reginald Skerritt, who was originally from Birmingham. He was a corporal aircraft engineer in the Royal Flying Corps/ Royal Air Force in the first world war from 1915 to 1919. Because he was in France at the time the pen was used, it might have belonged to his father, George Samuel Skerritt who was aged 47 and living in Birmingham in 1917.

Harry was a Special Constable in Birmingham and received a long service medal in 1926 so maybe George (his father) was also one, and also maybe one of the Special Constables from Birmingham who guarded the water treatment works during the first World War, from July 1917 until November 1918.

After the war a memorial to these men was built with money was raised by subscription, and a water spout and drinking trough was built at Abernant, some 100yds above Caban Coch Dam in the Elan Valley.

Does anyone know how I could find out whether George was an SC too? I've had a quick look in Birmingham archives and the history of the West Mids Police but nothing helpful.

Many thanks for your help with this

There are some newspaper articles from 1917 & 1918 on findmypast that mention the Birmingham special constables guarding the Elan Valley. There appear to be some names mentioned but you need a subscription to read the full article.

Harry's brother George seems to have been in the Flying Corps/RAF as well.

There are some newspaper articles from 1917 & 1918 on findmypast that mention the Birmingham special constables guarding the Elan Valley. There appear to be some names mentioned but you need a subscription to read the full article.

Harry's brother George seems to have been in the Flying Corps/RAF as well.
Thank you. Will check if there was a brother called George as well as the father.

Back