• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Spears factory in Great Hampton street

Donna

master brummie
Hello, does anybody have any info on the Spears factory in Great Hampton Row. As this is my surname and today i found a film about the fire in 1959, i would be interested if anyone knew anything about it. i realise most of you wont be old enough to remember 1959 but its worth a try. many thanks, donna.

omg thank you so much you are amazing, this gives me lots of research to do. thank you.

interesting video about the fire...in the opening shot the crowd are definately standing outside the church tavern corner of harford st and and great hampton st..

i wonder if someone could post us a map please showing us where the spear company was situated...thanks

lyn

These photos were taken c1961

Attachments

• A636E5E9-9C0A-44FA-83D0-3A30B8374E89.png
    A636E5E9-9C0A-44FA-83D0-3A30B8374E89.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 5747C085-FEBA-4F63-9F17-36E01136F686.png
    5747C085-FEBA-4F63-9F17-36E01136F686.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 97BFA781-A8A7-4BE6-B8BE-E058E979A890.png
    97BFA781-A8A7-4BE6-B8BE-E058E979A890.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 8361025B-7BAD-45E5-AE19-BDA254ED59D6.png
    8361025B-7BAD-45E5-AE19-BDA254ED59D6.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
great map mike...as i thought it was close to the church inn...would imagine they had to run the hoses down to the back of the factory from gt hampton street..the film also shows the ladders going high up pumping water over the building...

The 1958 Kellys shows Spears at 23a Gt Hampton St. From the map , it must have been awkward for the fire brigade to get to the factory (marked in red)

View attachment 145214
A very difficult and awkward fire to deal with from what I can make out. The passageway would be one point of entry but not easy to get wheeled escape ladders in there. Cities and towns had these type of fire appliances whereas as rural areas they were less frequent. However, the 35ft. extension ladder, which the fireman was seen climbing in the film clip, must have gone in in that way as did some of the hoses. It does seem that entries, with hoses, were also made through adjacent properties, this would be to prevent fire spread and maybe gain access to the area where the fire was. A large number of jets (from the hoses) seem to have been used which meant attacks on more than one front. Poor access - the nightmare in older properties where fires occurred - meant that the aerial ladder would be fighting the fire from above and preventing spread, at a higher level, to adjacent buildings. Given the location and poor access would explain the number of fire appliances attending. With production hopefully recommencing in the next few days it suggests the fire was not that large but the loss of life was probably due to smoke inhalation from toxic gases and possibly disorientation from poor visibility.
A serious fire, especially with the loss of life and one which meant more manpower for searching for the casualties. I wonder how the bereaved families made out afterwards. The collection must have helped financially but it does not bring back a loved one. And what of Mr. Spears? How did he fare? After all he lost his wife (and the children's mother) and he must have felt some responsibility for the others as it was his business where they died.

The 1958 Kellys shows Spears at 23a Gt Hampton St. From the map , it must have been awkward for the fire brigade to get to the factory (marked in red)

View attachment 145214
As I now live in the Quartz apartment block where the Empire building was I'd be interested in any history for this site. What was the pub opposite the Church. What was the Empire building. I believe there was also a bank on the corner of Hall St and Great Hampton St. Cheers.

Pre war and In the 1950s the "pub" listed at 120 is Copes Wine Lodge. In 1900 &1921 it was Bodega Wine Co Ltd, wine merchants, presumably a shop. The Empire building does not seem to be named in Kellys, but is presumably no 125. Pre war and in the 1950s this was I.S.Greenberg & Co, electroplate manufacturers.

Pre war and In the 1950s the "pub" listed at 120 is Copes Wine Lodge. In 1900 &1921 it was Bodega Wine Co Ltd, wine merchants, presumably a shop. The Empire building does not seem to be named in Kellys, but is presumably no 125. Pre war and in the 1950s this was I.S.Greenberg & Co, electroplate manufacturers.
[/QUO
Thanks. Photos to track down now! Interestingly my block Quartz of 203 apartments official address in 10 Hall St which is one small property on your map.

Sorry I assumed empire building was numbered on Gt Hampton st , In 1950, approximately when map referred to, no 10 was John Copeland ,plumber etc, immediately after the unnumbered Ellis & Co(Birmingham) Ltd, silversmiths and Miss Edith Herbert , draper

Not sure if this would interest anyone but i was trying to research the J Spears factory and found an advert in this

page 81

some interesting things and adverts in this leaflet. one of my first jobs on leaving school was stamping serial numbers onto glass valves at HRS components where i soon figured out if you made tea for everyone you could get out of doing any work. i earned the nickname teabelly for some strange reason.... but thats another story

and theres a nice apprenticeship advertised on page 70

Back