• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Speakmans

A

Anna Speakman

I am searching for any Speakman relations. My grandfather and his siblings were put in the Middlemore Home in Birmingham when their mother passed away and my grandfather and one of his brothers was then sent to Canada as orphans.

I've been able to find the following. But would love to find living family! I'm living in England until the end of 2004 and would love to make contact before returning to Canada.

I've found the following...

My Great Great Great Grandparents are Richard (born approx 1849)and Catherine (Edgertey) Speakman (born approx 1847) from county of Stafford.

Their son John Speakman (born 08 June 1875) married Mary Ann Burrough (born approx 1871) and they had Frederick, Richard John, Albert Edward (born 18 June 1898), Catherine M., and Harry.

I'm still searching but will be adding as I find more. Any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks for your time :D
Anna (Speakman) James

New info...

I've found Richard and Catherine in the 1901 census and found the following...

My Grandmother was Catherine Edgerley not Edgertey and she was born in Shrewsbury, Salop. Ricahrd was born in Norton, Salop.

During the 1901 census lived in Handsworth at 44 Payton Road.

Their children were...
John (born 08 June 1875 in Shifnal, Salop)
George (born approx. 1878 in Smithwick, Stafford)
Sarah E. (born approx. 1880 in Handsworth, Stafford)
Richard W. (born approx. 1883 in Handsworth, Stafford)
Charles E. (born approx. 1887 in Handsworth, Stafford)
Agnes C. (born approx. 1893 in Handsworth, Stafford)
Doris (born approx. 1899 in Handsworth, Stafford)

They may have had more children but as they were older they wouldn't have been living at home. John at this time was married and in his own home at that time.

:D

Just a question.....

I'm finding that to find out my family members exact birthdays I have to find them on the census, find them in the records books, and then order their birth certificate which costs £7 each.

Is there a cheaper way to find the exact birthdays and mothers maiden names than this?????

:D

:D I know no other way of confirming dates either - But beware of ages on Marriage Cert's - Not always correct :!: :)

Thanks again everyone… you really are so kind :D

Shame we have to pay so much isn’t it! I bet all of you have spent fortunes!!! Oh, is there a CD I should buy to help my search? Or is sticking with the national archives my best bet?

George,

For Thomas… (c1873) is this the year he was born or christened? Sorry but the ‘c’ has me confused… not into the lingo yet *L* I'm guessing born though :lol: Plus, just to verify, on the 1881 census did it have the family something close to the following?

1881 Census 9 house Court

Richard Speakman Head 42 Norton, Salop
Catherine “ Wife 44 Shrewbury, Salop
Thomas “ Son 8 Shropshire
John “ Son 6 Shifnal, Salop
George “ Son 3 Smethwick, Staffordshire
Sarah E “ Daughter 1 Handsworth, Stafford

Also, I haven’t received Catherine’s birth certificate yet but it sounds like that could very well be her! Thank you!!! I have to admit all of these counties and towns names are messing me up I’m afraid *L*

Also, after hearing from you I now have the copy of Thomas and his family from the 1901 Census. Thanks for finding him for me *hugs*

John,

I go to the Family Records Office in London. It’s laid out well, with each year being broken up quaterly so you have four books per year. Sadly this means if you don’t know the year and month of the person’s birth/death/marriage you have a lot of searching on your hands.

But anyway, when you find them it simply tells you their name, where they were born/died/or married, and what volume and page they are in. Then you fill out a form, pay $7 and then you receive it in 4 working days.

It sucks but at the end of the day I bet it takes a lot to keep it all running where there is just so much info.

They have a census area as well with lots of different ways to find things. Where I was looking for 1901 the man just took us to a computer and put us on the 1901 census website that you can access from home so it’s quite good *s*

Pomgolian,

I learned about wrong dates as soon as I started! *L* My poor grandfather always thought he was born in 1901 but turns out he was born in 1898. I was gutted when I went to the Family records office with his birthday thinking I’d find it in an instant to only find nothing. But thankfully the census put me on track. I guess that is why this can all be so interesting… Just when you think you’re at the end something turns up *s*

:D Thanks again everyone for all of your help!!! You're angels!!! :angel:

:D Anna (c 1873) the 'c' stands for around, about, or close too the date shown. Hope that helps? Good luck with your searching it can be fun and also a pain at times. :)

Anna, I do my certificate searching on line now at

www.1837online.com

You can pay by credit card, or if you have a UK bank account you can use click and buy, explanations are on the site.

Good luck :D

Di

George!

You are a :iccle-angel:

I can't even begin to thank you enough!!!
Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

All of this will keep me busy for ages!!! *LOL*

Thank You Everyone!!! *hugs to all*

I'll definitely keep you updated!

I really hope it happens! You know besides my Dad, Mum, and Sister I've never met another Speakman face to face in my life. Strange isn't it but true. It's been something I've thought of since I was a little girl so I'll be definitely be letting everyone know if/when I do.

:D * Keeping fingers crossed * :D

Anna asked if we knew of a cheaper way to get birth certificates other than paying £7.00, I don't know about birth certs. but if you can find your
relatives marriage at Birmingham Reference Library, or the various Record Offices, I have been to Warwick and Worcester, you can get them
printed for fees between 40p and 60p per copy.

I spent many hours in Birmingham Ref. Library yesterday, and although I didn't find my grandparents marriage which I specifically went for, I did find a lot of my Yates family christenings and the vicar had kindly put their dates of birth inthe margin, very helpful.

Thanks for the advice Sylvia (my Mums name too *s*)

Maybe if my hubby and I can get up that way to find where my family lived we can stay a few days and seach at the reference library. I just wish it was all a bit closer :(

I know here in London it doesn't cost to find them listed but to get the actual certificates with all of the detail I'm afraid you do so it sucks really but it's still worth it :D

Its been forever since I have posted. Work got in the way and now i'm in uni. But my husband and I are back into finding our families histories.

I was wondering what is the best way to go ahead with finding family after 1901???

I have been able to go back a bit further but can't get anything from after 1901. My only direct relative that I know stayed in england was my Grandfathers sister Catherine Speakman born abt Dec 1900 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire. I know she married a Mr Aarons (not sure of the spelling) and they had a lot of children but I just can't find anything. Is it just a matter of going through year after year in hopes of finding their marriage cert?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks Anna

have you any information on the children born of this marriage which would give some indication where to look for a start date to locate the marriage I have had no luck up to yet trawling the St catherines index

I found this article for starters. O0

William Speakman
Private (later Sergeant) Speakman was born on 21 September 1927 at Altrincham, Cheshire. He was a member of The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), attached to the 1st Battalion, The King's Own Scottish Borderers.

On 4 November 1951 in Korea, when the section holding the left shoulder of the company's position had suffered serious casualties and was being overrun by North Korean troops, Private Speakman, on his own initiative, collected six men and a pile of grenades and led a series of charges. He broke up several enemy attacks, causing heavy casualties and in spite of being wounded continued to lead the charge after charge. He kept the North Korean troops at bay long enough to enable the company to withdraw safely.

The VC awarded to Private Speakman was published in the London Gazette on 28 December 1951.

Thank you all so much for your help! :)

I'm afraid I've not come across that name. The only William I have found was born in 1847 and I'm not 100% sure i'm on the right track. Also Richard William Speakman born 1883. Am I allowed to post my tree on here so you can see where they fit in?

Generation No. 1

1.  Edward1 Speakman was born Abt. 1816 in Ellesmere, Shropshire, England, and died Mar 1892 in Shifnal, England.  He married Elizabeth.  She was born Abt. 1820 in Westbury, Shropshire, England.

Notes for Edward Speakman:
On the 1851 census it says he was born in Northwood, Shropshire, England.

Notes for Elizabeth:
On the 1851 census it says she was born in Stoney Stretton, Shropshire, England.

Children of Edward Speakman and Elizabeth are:
+ 2 i. John2 Speakman, born Abt. 1843 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.
3 ii. William Speakman, born Abt. 1847 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.
+ 4 iii. Richard Speakman, born 1850 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England; died in England.

Generation No. 2

2.  John2 Speakman (Edward1) was born Abt. 1843 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.  He married Adelaide.  She was born Abt. 1842 in Oxfordshire, England, and died Mar 1892 in Headington, England.

More About John Speakman:
Military service 1: 1871, Private in the "Army Service Corps" South Camp, Aldershot, Hampshire, England
Military service 2: 1881, Staff Sargeant in the "Army Service Corps" South Camp, Aldershot, Hampshire, England

Children of John Speakman and Adelaide are:
5 i. Frances3 Speakman, born Abt. 1867 in Oxfordshire, England.
6 ii. Alfred Speakman, born Abt. 1871 in Aldershot, Hampshire, England.
7 iii. Edward Speakman, born Abt. 1876 in Chatham, Kent, England.
8 iv. Fanny Speakman, born Abt. 1880 in Aldershot, Hampshire, England.

4.  Richard2 Speakman (Edward1) was born 1850 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England, and died in England.  He married Catherine Edgerley Abt. Sep 1872 in Wellington, Shropshire, England.  She was born Abt. 1847 in Shrewsbury, Salop, England.

More About Catherine Edgerley:
Christening: Abt. 23 May 1847, Stockton-by-Bridgnorth, Shropshire
Occupation: Age 14 - 24 she was a live in servant. In 1871 for the Moss family and in 1861 for the Nicholls family.

More About Richard Speakman and Catherine Edgerley:
Marriage: Abt. Sep 1872, Wellington, Shropshire, England

Children of Richard Speakman and Catherine Edgerley are:
+ 9 i. Thomas Edward3 Speakman, born Abt. Dec 1872 in England.
+ 10 ii. John Speakman, born 08 Jun 1875 in Shiffnal, Salop, England; died in England.
+ 11 iii. George Speakman, born Abt. 1878 in Smithwick, Staffordshire, England.
12 iv. Sarah E. Speakman, born Abt. 1880 in Handsworth, Staffordshire, England.
13 v. Richard William Speakman, born Abt. 1883 in Handsworth, Staffordshire, England.
14 vi. Catherine Speakman, born Abt. 1884 in Handsworth, Staffordshire, England.
15 vii. Charles E. Speakman, born Abt. 1887 in Handsworth, Staffordshire, England.
16 viii. Margit Speakman, born Abt. 1890 in Handsworth, Staffordshire, England.
17 ix. Agnes Speakman, born Abt. 1893 in Handsworth, Staffordshire, England.
18 x. Doris Speakman, born Abt. 1899 in Handsworth, Staffordshire, England.

Notes for Doris Speakman:
possibly not their chilld as Catherine would be 52 when she was born. ???

Generation No. 3

9.  Thomas Edward3 Speakman (Richard2, Edward1) was born Abt. Dec 1872 in England.  He married Ellen Phoebe Anderson Dec 1894 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England.  She was born Abt. 1875 in Birmingham, Staffordshire, England.

More About Thomas Speakman and Ellen Anderson:
Marriage: Dec 1894, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England

Child of Thomas Speakman and Ellen Anderson is:
19 i. Olga Olive4 Speakman, born 1897 in Handsworth, Staffordshire, England.

10.  John3 Speakman (Richard2, Edward1) was born 08 Jun 1875 in Shiffnal, Salop, England, and died in England.  He married Mary Ann Burrough Abt. Mar 1896 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England.  She was born Abt. 1871 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England, and died Abt. 1903 in England.

More About John Speakman and Mary Burrough:
Marriage: Abt. Mar 1896, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England

Children of John Speakman and Mary Burrough are:
20 i. Frederick4 Speakman, born 1893.
+ 21 ii. John Richard Speakman, born Dec 1896 in Handsworth, Staffordshire, England.
+ 22 iii. Albert Edward Speakman, born 18 Jun 1898 in 5 Hampton Court, Handsworth, Stafford, England; died 13 Jan 1967 in Lakeville, Carleton County, NB, Canada.
23 iv. Catherine Mary Speakman, born Abt. Dec 1900 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England.  She married ? Aarons.
24 v. Cyril Harry Speakman, born Abt. 1903 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England.

11.  George3 Speakman (Richard2, Edward1) was born Abt. 1878 in Smithwick, Staffordshire, England.  He married Florence Cooper Abt. Dec 1902 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England, daughter of Daniel Cooper and Maria Baggott.  She was born Abt. 1877 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England.

More About George Speakman and Florence Cooper:
Marriage: Abt. Dec 1902, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England

Child of George Speakman and Florence Cooper is:
25 i. ?4 Speakman.

Generation No. 4

21.  John Richard4 Speakman (John3, Richard2, Edward1) was born Dec 1896 in Handsworth, Staffordshire, England.  He married Helen. 

Child of John Speakman and Helen is:
+ 26 i. Audrey5 Speakman, born in NB, Canada.

22.  Albert Edward4 Speakman (John3, Richard2, Edward1) was born 18 Jun 1898 in 5 Hampton Court, Handsworth, Stafford, England, and died 13 Jan 1967 in Lakeville, Carleton County, NB, Canada.  He married Anna Elizabeth Grant 17 Sep 1947 in NB, Canada, daughter of Frederick Grant and Dora Piper.  She was born 09 Jun 1924 in Sparkle, NB, Canada.

More About Albert Edward Speakman:
Burial: Jan 1967, Hartland, NB, Canada
Immigration: 1910, Albert was sent to Canada as an orphan with his brother John. They were sent to different families and sadly Albert was sent to a family who used him as a slave.

More About Albert Speakman and Anna Grant:
Marriage: 17 Sep 1947, NB, Canada

Children of Albert Speakman and Anna Grant are:
+ 27 i. Katherine Dora5 Speakman, born 02 Aug 1948.
+ 28 ii. Albert Edward Speakman, born 06 Nov 1949 in Bath, NB, Canada.
+ 29 iii. Leveda Ann Speakman, born 28 Feb 1952

Hope this will shed some light on things. I don't have certificates to verify anything  more than my Grandfather Albert Edward Speakman and his father John Speakman. I've pieced it all together by going over and over the census for each year. Praying I'm on track  :)

John,

the only children i know the names of for Catherine and her husband mr Aarons are David and Jaqueline (not sure of spelling) but I know they had a lot of children, about 11 I think. Whether it's true or not.... we've heard David is a pilot and she was an English athlete. I've searched for both but with no luck. I've even tried phoning David Aarons in England but with no luck. My Grandfather paid for his sister Catherine to fly Canada in the 60's to meet each other again for the first time since he was sent away as an orphan. My Dad and David are about the same age and use to write each other but lost contact as teenagers.

I'd love to find them for my Dad as he hasn't heard from them since about the 60's. He's been over the moon with even finding grampy's birth certificate so I'd love to find David for him :)

Thanks for your help :compress:

Back