• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sparrow Green Grocers Hockley

Laura-Jen

master brummie
Can anyone help looking for a green grocering (if thats even a word) family, The Sparrows, got them the 1891 census living on Newtown Row also think i have the sons in 1901 again on Newtown Row, would the shop have been at the same property? and does anyone know if they were still there up until the early 1930's???

Hi there,found the following Sparrows!
1n 1891 living at 39 Newtown Row
Sparrow William 48 Green Grocer born Birmingham
Sparrow Sarah 47 Wife Assistant Of Green Grocer born Birmingham
Sparrow James 18 Son Assistant Of Green Grocer born Birmingham
Sparrow Richard 14 Son Birmingham,
Sparrow William 29 Boarder Gun Maker
Sparrow Amelia 14 Servant Birmingham,
In 1901 at 61 Newtown Row
Sparrow James 29 Head Birmingham
Sparrow Mary A 27 Wife Birmingham,
Sparrow James 7 Son Birmingham,
Sparrow Violet 6 Daughter Birmingham,
Sparrow Esther 4 Daughter Birmingham,
Sparrow Catherine 63 Widow Wolverhampton
In 1901 living at 286 Lichfield Road, Aston Manor were
Sparrow Richard 24 Fruiterer Green born Birmingham, Warwickshire
Rose A 26 Wife born Birmingham,
William 4 Son born Birmingham,
May 3 Daughter born Birmingham, Warwickshire
Ten years later Richard and Rose were still living at 286 Lichfield Road with daughter Rose aged 7,and sons Richard 3 and Leonard 1.
Rose Ann Sparrow had had 8 children,5 had died.
In 1901 William Sparrow (32) was living at 124 New Summer St with Selina (28) and Annie (9) and described as a Street Seller.
Another Sparrow family living in Wainwright St were Alfred and Ada Sparrow,with sons Alfred,21, and William,19, and daughter Louisa,17. The 2 Alfreds were Fruiterers Assistants.
10 years later,William (greengrocer) and Selina Sparrow lived at 61 Newtown Row,with daughter Annie,19, and adopted son Richard Holyoak,10.William Cox was an assistant and Rose Bowen was a servant.All were described as assisting in the business.
1912 (Electoral Roll)
Sparrow, Richard (living at Kingsbury road Curdworth) shop premises at 286a Lichfield Road.also had 286b Lichfield Rd described as house.
William Sparrow 61 Newtown Row
1920 Herbert and Alice Rebecca at 238 Lichfield Road.
A Richard Sparrow at premises at 286a Lichfield Road.
1925 &1930 Herbert and Alice Rebecca at 286 Lichfield Road,but living at Somerville Rd Sutton Coldfield.
Hope some of this helps!

Hi Laura
The following come from Kellys directories.
1885 . No sparrow greengrocers
1888-1895
Sparrow William, greengrocer, 37 Newtown row
Sparrow William H, greengrocer, 113 tower road , aston park
Sparrow William, greengrocer, 25 Ward St
Sparrow Thomas, greengrocer, 31 Defford Road
37 Newtown row not listed
25 Ward St - Lambeth Walter.James.grngrcr
31 Defford Road, Rose Alfred, greengrocer

Possibly they overextended and had to sell up the shops
Mike

Sparrow William
48 Green Grocer born Birmingham
Ten years later Richard and Rose were still living at 286 Lichfield Road with daughter Rose aged 7,and sons Richard 3 and Leonard 1.
In 1901 William Sparrow (32) was living at 124 New Summer St with Selina (28) and Annie (9) and described as a Street Seller.
Another Sparrow family living in Wainwright St were Alfred and Ada Sparrow,with sons Alfred,21, and William,19, and daughter Louisa,17. The 2 Alfreds were Fruiterers Assistants.
10 years later,William (greengrocer) and Selina Sparrow lived at 61 Newtown Row,with daughter Annie,19, and adopted son Richard Holyoak,10.William Cox was an assistant and Rose Bowen was a servant.All were described as assisting in the business.
1912 (Electoral Roll)
Sparrow, Richard (living at Kingsbury road Curdworth) shop premises at 286a Lichfield Road.also had 286b Lichfield Rd described as house.
1925 &1930 Herbert and Alice Rebecca at 286 Lichfield Road,but living at Somerville Rd Sutton Coldfield.
Hope some of this helps!
Richard Sparrow residing at Kingsbury Road Curdworth, and had the shop on Lichfield Road, Aston is my paternal grandfather. I was born and bred in Curdworth.
Richard & Rose (mentioned earlier) were my great grandparents. It gets confusing because all the first born sons were named Richard!!!

Richard Sparrow residing at Kingsbury Road Curdworth, and had the shop on Lichfield Road, Aston is my paternal grandfather. I was born and bred in Curdworth.
Richard & Rose (mentioned earlier) were my great grandparents. It gets confusing because all the first born sons were named Richard!!!
Allison, welcome to the Forum, enjoy!

My uncle Richard Sparrow (married my mother's sister Florence) was a greengrocer on Litchfield Rd. In fact, I worked there after school back in 1954/55. They also sold fish. His oldest son was Victor who was killed by friendly fire in the army. Their next oldest was Richard, the Dorothy & Brian. Before they were greengrocers, they owned Carneddau Farm in Wales.

Wow, apparently my grandmother is alleged to have had a relationship with a Greengrocer called Mr Sparrow many years ago, and as a result, my mother was born.

It's a very long winded story, but back in the day, my family lived in Burlington Street and my mother's gran used to own a coal yard and nearby shop/ store.

I would have loved to have spoken with some distant relatives for medical reasons, regarding any hereditary conditions.
Allison, welcome to the Forum, enjoy!

My uncle Richard Sparrow (married my mother's sister Florence) was a greengrocer on Litchfield Rd. In fact, I worked there after school back in 1954/55. They also sold fish. His oldest son was Victor who was killed by friendly fire in the army. Their next oldest was Richard, the Dorothy & Brian. Before they were greengrocers, they owned Carneddau Farm in Wales.
How old was your uncle Richard back then, when you worked at the store?

Sparrow William
48 Green Grocer born Birmingham
1912 (Electoral Roll)
Hope some of this helps!
Strange, I also have a cousin called Richard Holyoak, and I sometimes work in Somerville Road, Sutton Coldfield.

I would have loved to have spoken with some distant relatives for medical reasons, regarding any hereditary conditions.

How old was your uncle Richard back then, when you worked at the store?
I’m not really sure, I would guess mid late 50’s could be early 60’s. He was always dressed quite “dapper” in a suit and mostly a cap. He drove a Ford V8 which was little unusual in those days.

A Ford V8.
The father of a school friend at Haslucks Green Infants school had one of those V8 cars, It was known as a 'Hitler' car. Can't say why but it did, I suppose, resemble a big version of a VW car.
Does anyone remember the large chestnut tree adjacent to the narrow Haslucks Green entrance? Stones and other objects were thrown up into the tree when it was 'conker' time. A small brick fell on my friends head causing an injury: we took him home to his mother.

A Ford V8.
The father of a school friend at Haslucks Green Infants school had one of those V8 cars, It was known as a 'Hitler' car. Can't say why but it did, I suppose, resemble a big version of a VW car.
Does anyone remember the large chestnut tree adjacent to the narrow Haslucks Green entrance? Stones and other objects were thrown up into the tree when it was 'conker' time. A small brick fell on my friends head causing an injury: we took him home to his mother.
Thats an interesting comparison Alan. Hitler was infatuated with Henry Ford building the model T & A. Low priced car for everyone that is where the VW idea came from although he never got there in those days.

Back