• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sparkhill Congregational Church

There was a church building prior to that shown in Ell's photo in post #22. However, it seems debatable as to whether the plan below was the design adopted for the earlier building. But whatever was there before, the current building replaced it in the 1930s. Viv.

image.jpeg

No problem Maurice. Do you miss living in the UK?

Yesterday at the College Arms saw this:

And this was on the wall near the new extension to a shop (close to the Blackberry Way).

Ell,

To be honest, for most things aside of local history and seeing a couple of my late wife's relations, the answer has to be no. The family for both of us are split far and wide, my eldest son and his family have lived in Brussels for nearly 20 years, my second son lives in Luton, but will be back over here at the end of the lockdown, and my youngest son & his family live in Bournemouth as do my late wife's surviving siblings. I'm in a quiet rural village along with British, Dutch & Greek friends and life is good. My partner Jan's family are likewise split between Surrey and the Middle East. Thank you for asking, but I'm going to stop at this point before we get our knuckles rapped for going off topic. Cheers. :)

Maurice :cool:

Got a photo today of Mughal & Azam (the former Sparkhill Congregational Church) from the Greet Mill Meadow. Was a roof fire several months ago.

These are for Maurice. I stopped and took some photos on Friday and then realised I had not walked quite far enough so I nipped back this morning. I can see no sign of the burnt roof and the repair looks to have been sympathetically done using reclaimed tiles. Pics 5 and 6 are at the back where most of the damage was - under the tarpaulin, the others are down the side towards Stratford Road.

Attachments

• Church 1.JPG
    Church 1.JPG
    486.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Church 3.JPG
    Church 3.JPG
    480.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Church 5.jpg
    Church 5.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Church 6.jpg
    Church 6.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 10
I like the brickwork of the building, they’ve used minimal materials to good effect. Viv.

These are for Maurice. I stopped and took some photos on Friday and then realised I had not walked quite far enough so I nipped back this morning. I can see no sign of the burnt roof and the repair looks to have been sympathetically done using reclaimed tiles. Pics 5 and 6 are at the back where most of the damage was - under the tarpaulin, the others are down the side towards Stratford Road.
nice photos jan

Back