• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sparkhill Baths

Hi, I never ever saw the other pool, did they divide it? whatever, it was my idea of hell and I must bow to you superior knowledge. Went to Moseley Road once and that was equaly as revolting. My mother finaly took me to the new and swanky baths at Tudor Grange which was glassed walled and a lot less scarey, always hated confined spaces, and it had a Cafe above the pools where I could have cheese puffs and hot chocolate. The way to my heart is through my stomach!!

boringmike ….
The 2 pools were always open-plan in my day, during the 1960's.
FYI Sparkhill Baths also had a café …. with hot Bovril, Cow & Gate, and wagon wheels (when they really were the size of wagon wheels!).

boringmike ….
FYI Sparkhill Baths also had a café …. with hot Bovril, Cow & Gate, and wagon wheels (when they really were the size of wagon wheels!).
As they say Wagon Wheels are a treat for me! This is a lovely walk down memory lane for me. Never got to see the cafe, a deprived childhood, best tell Ester Rantzen and contact Social Services.

There were 2 pools in the old Sparkhill Baths …. here's a photo.
It also shows the diving boards that were removed for health and safety reasons long before the old baths closed.View attachment 140289
Thank you for that photo BrummieG. I can show my family where I took that involuntary dive. If I hadn't been rescued then my wife would have married someone else I guess and I would not be my children's father.

Same here, I positively hate water deeper than two or three feet, and I think I have paddled once during my 15 years in Crete. Previous to that I had a paddle in Bournemouth in 1976. I don't really care for sandy beaches either, and much prefer to go up in the mountains here - far more enjoyable. :)

Maurice :cool:

Same here, I positively hate water deeper than two or three feet, and I think I have paddled once during my 15 years in Crete. Previous to that I had a paddle in Bournemouth in 1976. I don't really care for sandy beaches either, and much prefer to go up in the mountains here - far more enjoyable. :)

Very much a man after my own heart though with 2 replacement knees, one new hip and another soon climbing isn't realy my thing any more. Sounds like you have life sorted, good luck to you.

boringmike,

Thanks, but my problem now is age and eyesight. Until about three years ago I could scramble about quite well, but now a combination of poor balance and poor focus makes such scrambling a bit more hazardous, though not impossible. Hence, I don't take many photographs now - it's one thing if I take a bit of a knock, but could turn out to be a bit expensive if the camera takes one too! :) So nowadays I stick to tracks and don't tend to wander far from them, but I stopped driving at the beginning of the year so that is a hindrance too. However, we're wandering off topic again, so I'll just confirm that my sole six swimming lessons took place at the age of 11 at Sparkhill Baths and I hated every minute of them! :)

PS The sunglasses are not very appropriate as it's been Bambi weather for the last few days .......drip, drip, drip!

boringmike,

Thanks, but my problem now is age and eyesight. Until about three years ago I could scramble about quite well, but now a combination of poor balance and poor focus makes such scrambling a bit more hazardous, though not impossible. Hence, I don't take many photographs now - it's one thing if I take a bit of a knock, but could turn out to be a bit expensive if the camera takes one too! :) So nowadays I stick to tracks and don't tend to wander far from them, but I stopped driving at the beginning of the year so that is a hindrance too. However, we're wandering off topic again, so I'll just confirm that my sole six swimming lessons took place at the age of 11 at Sparkhill Baths and I hated every minute of them! :)

PS The sunglasses are not very appropriate as it's been Bambi weather for the last few days .......drip, drip, drip!
The whole world of emojis is a mystery to me! Sorry you have various problems but take the attitude that growing old is better than not growing old, as my wife died at 45. So use it or loose it is the motto!

boringmike ….
Sad isn't it, starting to remember the other pool, if you can touch the bottom, perfect! Had to take your free pass in the big pool, why I did it I don't know but guess my Mum thought I was a little Fighter Pilot!

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear that your wife died so early, my daughter was 43 when she died 5 years ago. For emojis, you can either click on the smiley face icon on the Edit toolbar and it will insert whichever ones you want wherever the cursor was in the text, or as I generally do, type a colon, a hypen and a close bracket without spaces and it will give you the choice of the two I used in post #67 above.

Hi, I never ever saw the other pool, did they divide it? whatever, it was my idea of hell and I must bow to you superior knowledge. Went to Moseley Road once and that was equaly as revolting. My mother finaly took me to the new and swanky baths at Tudor Grange which was glassed walled and a lot less scarey, always hated confined spaces, and it had a Cafe above the pools where I could have cheese puffs and hot chocolate. The way to my heart is through my stomach!!
My mother was determined that I learned to swim and in the early 50s used to drag me to the awful cold Sparkhill baths. I too hated the place and learned nothing. When I started at Wheelers Lane school we were taken to Kings Heath baths, it was warmer and had a little, shallow pool for kids. Progressing from treading water to the Dog Paddle, then the Breast Stroke, I was swimming within a few weeks.

Now you tell me Baz, over seventy years too late, that I should have gone to Kings Heath. That would have meant two bus routes, but at least I could have learned to swim. :laughing:

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear that your wife died so early, my daughter was 43 when she died 5 years ago. For emojis, you can either click on the smiley face icon on the Edit toolbar and it will insert whichever ones you want wherever the cursor was in the text, or as I generally do, type a colon, a hypen and a close bracket without spaces and it will give you the choice of the two I used in post #67 above.

So sorry to hear about your daughter, it's just too young by far.

I learnt to swim at Sparkhill Baths. No thanks to the instructors or our school (Dennis road/Anderton Park) we were all made to jump in and any children not willing were helped to do so! Someone had to help fish me out after I stood on the bottom of the pool, left me with a lifelong fear of being underwater. I eventually learned with help from my friends. About 15 years ago I was managing 50 lengths, still keeping my face out the water but had progressed from swimming at the side of the pool, the lifeguards encouraged me to swim down the centre pointing out if I could swim that far I could make it to the side if I needed to.
I also learnt to swim at Sparkhill Baths but in the sixties and was at Anderton Park primary school. I lived in Stoney Lane. I am a new member of those forum. It's very interesting Indeed.

Carletta,

Welcome to the Forum. We're a friendly bunch and feel free to use the Search tool, top right of every page.

boringmike ….
I remember the Bovril treat after a swim back in 1969-60

I learned to swim at Monument Rd baths and earned my first free pass there. As we moved around Birmingham I used many different baths including Sparkhill,Grove Lane,Stechford and Tudor Grange. However I recall going swimming from Icknield St school but I can't remember where. Anyone help please,year would've been 64/65.

NoddKD.

Back