• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sparkbrook Birmingham 1950

greymarehill

Hi

I am trying to work out the distance between 144 Victoria Grove and 747 Williams - these were people on the 1950 electoral list. The area was Belgrave Road, Sparkbrook Deritend Constituency

Thanks in advance.

Yvonne xx

Do you mean william St?. I would not have thought then numbering went as high as the 700s

Hi

It is a bit confusing, the electoral roll from 1950 in Ancestry UK says Street address: 747 Williams, Ward: Sparkbrook and when I click on it to see the detail it says Belgrave Square and against the person's name it says 16 and then Belgrave Road continued. At the top it says "Borough of Birmingham - Sparkbrook Constituency - Polling Dist ABJ (No 733) Deritend Ward"

[I think that they moved to Stratford Place and then Shawbury Grove].

The other address says 144 Victoria Grove until I click on it then it says 144 Belgrave Road. At the top it says index Belgrave Road (North side between Bristrol St and River Rea) Benacre Street

On Ancestry you often find transcripts are wrong. Go with the actual electoral roll. Also the first number you see is probably the electoral number not the house number.
If I remember correctly it would look like:
747 Burns J 144
so the 144 is the house number- the road would be somewhere else on the page.

What name are you looking up?

Last edited:
The entry is:
1608664524487.png
746 and 747 are the electoral (voting numbers) for Violet and Raymond. The address is 6 back of 164 Belgrave Road. I am not sure where you saw a 16.
Belgrave Square is a small section of Belgrave Road.
This map shows 164 and the court behind it: the road running top to bottom is Longmore Street and Belgrave Road goes left to right.
1608664906340.png

Last edited:
Hi

Thank you - it was the numbers following the name that I gave but I get what you mean. I wasn't sure if I could paste a snip of what I was looking at - but that is a lot easier.

The names of the people that I am trying to work out how far apart they lived (in 1967) are:

Iris A A Clark(e), Alan C Clark(e)

AND

Gafoor Khan, Elsie M Khan

I looked at the typed list but I think that this may be the original and not typed up by Ancestry but I can't be sure.

I am really trying to find out where they were living in 1967 but the list on Ancestry only goes up to 1965.

I think Iris and Alan/(also known as Richard C) (just to confuse me!!), split up.

I think that Gafoor died late 1950s.

I noticed that in 1955 Iris and Alan were at 146 Skinner Streer and Gafoor and Elsie were at 144.

The addresses I gave on the earlier post were from 1950.

x

1608666551404.png

Iris Clarke is in Belgrave Square in 1950 at no 16. As Janice says, you should, if possible, always look at the original list. See below:
belgrave road.1950.186.jpg

Back