• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Spanish Flu Epidemic in Birmingham

kalli25

Brummie babby
Hi there

Does anyone know where I can find out information about the Spanish Flu epidemic and its effect on the people of Birmingham?
My great Grandmother died of spanish flu,aged just 29 years old in 1918, in Balsall Heath. She left a family of four young children.

I am looking into our family history and I am wanting to add a little colour to the grey areas.
Thank you:)

My Great Grandmother died of Spanish flu in 1918 leaving 7 young children too, she was only 38.

Thanks for responding.
The links are informative and I just want to find out more now.
I read a letter from my great-grandmother to her husband posted in India, she wrote it just a few weeks before the flu took her; she wrote that she was beginning to think that she would never get her voice back properly again and that she was not feeling very well, she wrote that she thought she might try and get a dispensary note.
When she died her husband was away in India and a telegram was sent to call him back, we have the faded copy still.
Her mother had to look after the children , she was another strong women and I never met them but have great admiration and respect for them both. They had great strength of character in very difficult times. They all lived in back to backs in Benacre street in Balsall Heath.

My fathers Mom and Dad both died from this. Many people were buried in paupers graves at Brandwood end cemetery. From research my now deceased dad was able to find out the dates of death and burial, he at the time of there deaths was left an orphan aged around 18 months old so had very little information. I have to say he was most distressed when he discovered the time between demise and internment, the knowledge hurt him for the rest of his days, i wished he had never found out to be honest. Max

Recently watched a documentary on the Spanish flu which occurred at latter end of World War 1 which spread world wide, and killed millions of people. My interest was in the late 60's I nursed 2 ladies who I believed had survived the pandemic, but had developed some kind of what was called sleeping sickness after. They had been cared for long term in Summerfield Hospital formally Western Road. At a guess they were around eleven to thirteen when they contacted the flu.
Has anyone any idea how many were killed or survived in Birmingham when the pandemic struck?
Sorry if I am off thread.

Recently watched a documentary on the Spanish flu which occurred at latter end of World War 1 which spread world wide, and killed millions of people. My interest was in the late 60's I nursed 2 ladies who I believed had survived the pandemic, but had developed some kind of what was called sleeping sickness after. They had been cared for long term in Summerfield Hospital formally Western Road. At a guess they were around eleven to thirteen when they contacted the flu.
Has anyone any idea how many were killed or survived in Birmingham when the pandemic struck?
Sorry if I am off thread.

It was a terrible thing, soldiers who managed to survive the First World War came home to find their wives dying of it. My Grandad's first wife died of it, leaving two little boys.

I had a look and could not find any figures for Birmingham, only reference to a report that is not online

Hi,

A large number of WW1 German POWs died in the flu epidemic.
They are buried at the German war cemetery at Cannock Chase.

Kind regards
Dave

On Friday I went to a meeting in Worcester entitled Bovril, Whiskey and Gravediggers: Spanish Flue epidemic in the Midlands 1918-1920. Hannah Maudsley (Imperial War Museum), Prof Maggie Andrews (Cultural historian ), Laura Robson-Mainwaring (George Marshall Medical museum) and Dr Emma Edwards (research chemist at Univ. Worcester) spoke. Although summaries of reports on the Midlands were presented, and these were interesting, the meeting was largely really about the pandemic generally.

The flu epidemic began in 1918 while WW1 was still taking place. It is not clear where it started, some say an army camp in the US , but the only thing that is pretty certain is that it was not Spain. Because of the war and censorship of things that might be of use to the enemy, initially the event was not reported thoroughly in most countries, but Spain was neutral and so it was reported thoroughly there , thus, from news report it seemed to be far more prevalent there, and that is why it got that name. Exactly how many people died is not clear, both because of its effects often being recorded on death certificates as something else. In addition post-mortems were rarely carried out, in part because of the numbers affected. At the time many "causes" of the disease were put forward - a form of Trench Fever, Lice, dirty conditions, overcrowding. A film of the time on what you should not do is at https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-dr-wise-on-influenza-1919-online

Many commercial cures were promoted also. Bovril, OXO, commercial mixtures of unknown composition, and aspirin. It has been suggested later that very large doses of aspirin might have had an effect on worsening the disease.

Many of the deaths were not from the flu infection itself, but from secondary bacterial infections ( viruses had not been definitely identified and the exact cause of flu was not known). However , although the death rate was "only" 2.5%, this was relative to <0.1 % for normal flu. The disease was more virulent and rapidly (often within a day from first symptoms) the lungs were blocked with fluid and the victim suffocated and died. Also, unlike other flu episodes (including an earlier "Russian " flu pandemic of 1889) where the young and the elderly are most susceptible (because of , respectively, lack of build up of immunity and partial decay of immunity) , in the Spanish flu a large proportion of cases were in the ages between this . this , of course, meant that active men (and women), important to the war effort, were especially susceptible. However there seems to be agreement that at least 50 million people, worldwide, died in the pandemic - in each of the countries concerned far more than those killed directly in WW1. It should be emphasised, though, that 95% of victims did not die.

The disease was no respecter of position and hit all classes equally, though responses to it could be slightly different. There is a report of a sad announcement at a school in the Midlands of deaths of some members, greeted in silence, followed by the reporting of the death of the headmaster, when cheering was observed ! The official response to the disease was to try to prevent large public gatherings, cinemas, theatres etc. The speaker did comment that perhaps the measures were more aimed at the lower classes and churches and the like were relatively left alone.

The West Midlands, being the heart of the armaments industry, together with many other industries important to the war, was badly effected, Birmingham being the first area in the UK after London, to be affected. This was probably because the disease spread was helped by the railways, where Birmingham was a hub .

Dr Edwards was concerned mainly with the scientific aspects of the disease, then unusual age distribution of those most affected, the cause of the differences and more recent work, Recently the viral structure has been determined from excavated bodies frozen in permafrost, and the virus has been successfully manufactured in the laboratory and tested on ferrets (much to the concern of a ferret lover in the audience. Apparently ferret lungs are the most similar to human ones for respiratory investigations. It had a very different structure to more recent flu types , and probably ly to the "Russian" flu of 1889. However it has been found that modern flu vaccines protect from infection by this organism. Also, nowadays, antibiotics are available for secondary infections, and there is constant surveillance on outbreaks to ensure any new type developing is discovered speedily

Last edited:
My father’s great aunt (she was quite young for a great aunt) married in 1919, aged thirty two, to a gentleman fourteen years older than herself. The day they returned from their honeymoon, he felt a little low and, thinking that he’d caught a bit of a chill during the journey home, he went early to his bed. The following day he felt worse, and the doctor was called. A couple of hours later, Aunt met the doctor at the door. After a brief chat she took the doctor upstairs, only to discover that during her five minute absence, her husband had died. In less than twenty four hours of being in her new home she was a widow.

Last edited:
Hi,

A large number of German POW's died from the outbreak,
and are buried at the German War Cemetery at Cannock.
Incidentally, the crews of the Zeppelins shot down over England
are also buried there.
A peaceful place, and well worth a visit.

Kind regards
Dave

that book looks interesting....i have always thought that if my grandad had not survived the trenches in ww1 i would not be here now but by the same token if my nan had fell to spanish flu i would not be here...luck of the draw i guess..just makes you think

lyn

Last edited:
My Mother was born in Jan 1917. (Not only did her Dad survive the trenches but the influenza pandemic too). Mom avoided the 'flu, grew up in Irving St., and will be 103 at the end of this month. Sadly she now has vascular dementia & is in a care home but I often reflect on all that happened in the 20th century and she managed to live through it all.

My Mother was born in Jan 1917. (Not only did her Dad survive the trenches but the influenza pandemic too). Mom avoided the 'flu, grew up in Irving St., and will be 103 at the end of this month. Sadly she now has vascular dementia & is in a care home but I often reflect on all that happened in the 20th century and she managed to live through it all.

it is certainly food for thought baz...my best wishes for your moms 103rd birthday...

lyn

l remember my mother Ena b Coates b1906 telling me about the spanish flu, she said in 1918 spent 6 weeks in bed but luckily she got over it, was anxious to get back to school to take finals exams ....which had been taken before while she was absent...well guess what she passed and was made top of her class....Brenda

In the last post it mentions a decline of the epidemic in December 1918, but looking a bit further...

In February 1919 the spread continues.

March 1919 “Influenza-pneumonia became a notifiable disease on Saturday...There is no doubt the present outbreak is of a virulent type, and it is feared that the official returns which will be available today will show a heavy death toll for the past week.”

In April 1919 it was again said to be decreasing. "Influenza in Birmingham is abating, number of deaths last week being 90, as compared with 101 in the previous week, and 150 three weeks ago." (Also mentioned is that there were no fewer than 497 cases of measles notified, and eight deaths occurred.)

In May 1919 there is hardly a mention.

Back