• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Spam emails

Thanks for the info Colin, I have just looked at post#4550 and notice the member's name appears on my laptop with a different shade of blue to normal and although he has a profile he is not in the member's list. Post#4550 looks genuine but all the extras in the email alert put me off. I don't respond if they are not on the list. Must admit I was really looking at the Bull Ring and just happened to notice the advert. Perhaps it is a just a simple computer glitch.

ps. If he is a genuine member I will respond in the 'old street pics' thread with a quote from his post.

Last edited:
Hi Colin - On the subject of members I looked at Currently Active Users last night and I know why 'jennyann' and 'mikegee' names appear in a different colour but 'GroverLaro' and 'mereEviva' in a different colour ? I could read the profile of one but definitely not the other.
members.JPG

I normally receive 4 or 5 spam emails a day (AOL mail). Over the last couple of weeks however this has increased to 20 - 30, about half being about bitcoins. Then a couple of days ago I had an email from AOL about their new system for minimising the number of spam emails by removing all my details from offending websites. This would be free for the first month.......... :(

I have two email addresses. One is my BT address, the other is a web based. My web based address was hacked once and so everyone in my contact list received a spam email sent from the hacker. I realised that if I deleted all my contacts then there would not be anyone to send spam to through that address. I never give my BT address to any individual or company that I do not trust, I only give my web based address so any spam (and I rarely get any) would only go to my web based address.

I have received the odd email from Netflix (my subscription is due) but I know I have never had a subscription with Netflix so I just delete anything I am not expecting. It's a bit like spam telephone calls, we seem to get two or three each day but as we have a phone that has a directory we never answer calls unless they are from someone in the directory. If it is important then they will leave a message, rarely do they though. I am often asked how these companies get our phone number, well the answer is a computer generated programme that just whizzes through random telephone numbers, dialling as it goes. What could be easier than having a programme that dials any 0121 783 etc etc number, then onto the next code? If someone answers, they hit the jackpot, same with mobile numbers. so if you are fortunate to have a phone which shows the callers number and you don't recognise it, then don't answer. if you do then whoever is calling knows that your number is a genuine used number and will just keep on calling. With emails, if you don't recognise the sender do not even open them. Spam emails can often be the carriers of a virus and just by opening them means that you open the virus.

Sue,

As I run my own website, I have my own domain - that address only goes to people I trust.
My reserve address is a gmail one.
I used to have an old hotmail address, which is now dead. If sending jokes to friends, I send to myself at that dead address and then blind copies to all the recipients. Of course, my copy bounces back and I promptly delete it, but it keeps my main address fairly clear of dross.

Maurice :cool:

Sue,

As I run my own website, I have my own domain - that address only goes to people I trust.
My reserve address is a gmail one.
I used to have an old hotmail address, which is now dead. If sending jokes to friends, I send to myself at that dead address and then blind copies to all the recipients. Of course, my copy bounces back and I promptly delete it, but it keeps my main address fairly clear of dross.

Maurice :cool:
[/QUOTE Magic. our Maurice.. i used to pay £10 a year for my co.uk email.now i stick with my 2 gmail accounts.
one is for rubbish. and the other is for confidential stuff.

Since 3rd June I've only had 6 spam emails and 5 of them are emails from a website which had an unresponsive 'unsubscribe button' so I marked their emails as spam and they automatically go to the Spam folder where they are auto deleted after 30 days.

Other Spam (if any) appears to be blocked and I never see anything. So maybe I have a 'shortage' of Spam ... :grinning:

Since 3rd June I've only had 6 spam emails and 5 of them are emails from a website which had an unresponsive 'unsubscribe button' so I marked their emails as spam and they automatically go to the Spam folder where they are auto deleted after 30 days.

Other Spam (if any) appears to be blocked and I never see anything. So maybe I have a 'shortage' of Spam ... :grinning:
touch wood i dont get spam. :) prob get loads now.

You'll probably get more now. The "unresponsive" unsubscribe button may be assigned to just confirm your email address. It would then add the address to a list which would be used for another run of spam or, probably, worse. The best thing to do if you get spam from a source you don't recognise is mark it as spam or (if it seems odd) phishing.

You'll probably get more now. The "unresponsive" unsubscribe button may be assigned to just confirm your email address. It would then add the address to a list which would be used for another run of spam or, probably, worse. The best thing to do if you get spam from a source you don't recognise is mark it as spam or (if it seems odd) phishing.
I’ve just looked in my Spam folder and only one addition since June 3rd - for some reason Gmail had decided that an advice email about my broadband bill was spam ...:rolleyes:

Of all my mail addresses the only one I got SPAM from was GMail. I sorted out their settings which stopped it.

Back