• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Spaghetti Junction

Peter Walker MP (Worcester) the then Minister for Transport at the opening of Spaghetti in May 1972 ( I think there were a few openings of Spaghetti Junction) . There is a piece in the Irish Post regarding the building of spaghetti if I can find it I will post .

Attachments

• BE403108-6531-49F3-93B6-0706505063A1.jpeg
    BE403108-6531-49F3-93B6-0706505063A1.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 16
Peter Walker MP (Worcester) the then Minister for Transport at the opening of Spaghetti in May 1972 ( I think there were a few openings of Spaghetti Junction) . There is a piece in the Irish Post regarding the building of spaghetti if I can find it I will post .
If you Google: Gravely Hill interchange , the is a great article there.

Where I grew up in Small Heath the local pubs, The Monica, George and Dragon, Samson and Lion, Custard House would have a fair proportion of the labour involved in the build of Spaghetti in their premises (especially on a Friday) . All civils men (deep excavations, machine drivers, rebar, shuttering, and concrete men.

Does anyone know how long it took from start to finish to build Spaghetti Junction. Often think of the times I walked down Slade Road, under the railway arch to get t Salford Park, to sail my yacht, or get the No 5 tram up to Lozells and Villa Road, to go to Handsworth Tech
I did that same walk to go to and return from, home games at Villa Park during the period it was being built. I used to walk/skip along that raised concrete between the pavement and Salford Park (shown at the left of the first picture). It was about six inches wide, so it was no tightrope, but I wished I had that sort of balance now;). There also used to be a pedestrian walkway between Slade Road and Lichfield Road Pictures 2 & 3), which was closed some years ago, because it wasn't ever the safest of routes to take, particularly after it got dark.

1667653374497.png 1667653862083.png 1667653972148.png

A concrete pour on spaghetti junction build, I wonder if they took slumps and cubes for QA during the build ?
EC01ABB5-A518-496D-B37E-847E1C33C543.jpeg

Does anyone know how long it took from start to finish to build Spaghetti Junction. Often think of the times I walked down Slade Road, under the railway arch to get t Salford Park, to sail my yacht, or get the No 5 tram up to Lozells and Villa Road, to go to Handsworth Tech
The build started in early 1968 and was completed in 1972 , the build time does not include design or preliminary site investigations.

Last edited:
like everything concrete eventually wears out
When I worked at Digbeth Coach Station in the late 70s, we were visited by some government chappie (Ministry of confusion & public nuisance?) to tell us that traffic would be restricted on Spaghetti Junction whilst repair work was carried out, and that this would be necessary every few years for the rest of its life. He actually said that parts of it were so badly designed and built that in the long run it would be cheaper to tear down the whole elevated section of the M6 and rebuild it, but they couldn't because there was nowhere to divert all the traffic to.

When I worked at Digbeth Coach Station in the late 70s, we were visited by some government chappie (Ministry of confusion & public nuisance?) to tell us that traffic would be restricted on Spaghetti Junction whilst repair work was carried out, and that this would be necessary every few years for the rest of its life. He actually said that parts of it were so badly designed and built that in the long run it would be cheaper to tear down the whole elevated section of the M6 and rebuild it, but they couldn't because there was nowhere to divert all the traffic to.
There has been many developments in concrete technology since the 70’s via chemical additives to give plasticity and ductility to the concrete , also high performance concrete, self setting concrete to reduce shrinkage and voids.
Batching plants are a lot more professional in terms of quality and reliability, with stringent on site testing of loads before pouring. If spaghetti was built today it would be a more reliable build and low maintenance.
The link to https://www.concrete.org.uk/ will supply more detailed information and worth a look.

There has been many developments in concrete technology since the 70’s via chemical additives to give plasticity and ductility to the concrete , also high performance concrete, self setting concrete to reduce shrinkage and voids.
Batching plants are a lot more professional in terms of quality and reliability, with stringent on site testing of loads before pouring. If spaghetti was built today it would be a more reliable build and low maintenance.
The link to https://www.concrete.org.uk/ will supply more detailed information and worth a look.
I quite agree, and from what the chap said concrete technology (and inspection during construction) had already improved within the time since the junction's building till then, and it is bound to have improved a lot more since. The current construction of HS2 is bound to increase it more, as well.

Back