• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Southalls factory

morning janice yes this is the photo i have seen and i am just trying to confirm if it was southalls at alum rock...there was also a southalls in villa st where i lived and i know that this was hit during the war causing 1 death...looking at the photo im pretty sure its not the villa st factory but it would be nice to confirm that..

thanks janice

lyn

Attachments

• bomb damage southalls birmingham.png
    bomb damage southalls birmingham.png
    794.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Lyn, that's Southalls, Alum Rock, I used to maintain their telephone system for a time late 50's whilst working on BT (then Post Office Telephones). Eric

Thanks for that link, some great photos. One of the 'bomb damage at unidentified Birmingham Road' photos looks very much like the railway bridge at Eastfield Road to me.

Lyn, that's Southalls, Alum Rock, I used to maintain their telephone system for a time late 50's whilst working on BT (then Post Office Telephones). Eric

great eric thats confirmed it for me then...

many thanks

lyn

On the "Canal World" Discussion Forum, there's an overall map of Bomb hits, (HE and Incendiary) posted last March. Its very low resolution, but illustrates the number dropped. We are 20miles from B'ham City centre here, but in line with Castle Bromwich & Hams Hall, and there were about 100 or so out here.

Internet archive as just uploaded a Southalls catalogue of 1896 ( https://archive.org/details/b28081456 ), which can be read or downloaded. It is an interesting read. A beef tea & gravy extractor; all sorts of restrictive belts such as "for pendulous abdomen": travelling douches; ear trumpets; electromagnetic machines; Ingrams family enema apparatus all in " superior velvet lined mahogany box complete"; feeding bottles of all sorts; water filters, some very ornate; hot water bottles, including special ones for the ear, the teeth, the throat and the stomach; nipple shields, including a metallic one , presumably in case you have given birth to a vampire with very sharp teeth; plaisters (interesting that this is the original name for plasters) including ones with isinglass on silk. Also various "condiments" such as carbolic dentifrice (very unpleasant I should think) and toilet vinegar (?) ,

southalls.jpeg
I seem to ecall hearing somewhere that nearly 500 women worked here.

Sorry, I realised afterwards that it was a Ford Anglia, but I was in bed by that time so couldn't change it.

I'm not sure that I like the term 'mate' though. I'm an old lady ;)
my dad hated being called mate, he said i have not fell of a sandwich

Last edited:
My mother worked there between 1960 and 1966. I just recently visited the area to have a look. I think this Google Map shows the now derelict site.Southalls.jpg

Another building well known to the residents of Alum rock is at present being demolished.

Hi All,

My mum, Yvonne worked at Southalls in the Lilywhite Sales Division in the late 1960s onward. He maiden name was Bowker. Does anyone remember her?

We are trying to locate the address for the trustees former employees pension scheme administrators. Can anyone help us with this please?

Best regards

Mark

Hello, would anyone know if there is a list of employees that worked at Southalls please? I am looking for a relation named Horace Weetman who my dad told me worked at Southalls. Thanks for any info.

Smith & Nephew who owned Southalls still seem to be operating so I would think they'd still hold the records if there are any.

However there appears to have been only one Horace Weetman in Bham, a Horace William Weetman b1914. Lived in Fernhurst Road (barely 5 mins walk from Southalls) in 1939, married Gladys Evelyn Cox and moved to Benedon Road sometime before 1955.

There don't appear to be any children. Gladys dies in 1988 and Horace (listed as William) dies in 1994.

Smith & Nephew who owned Southalls still seem to be operating so I would think they'd still hold the records if there are any.

However there appears to have been only one Horace Weetman in Bham, a Horace William Weetman b1914. Lived in Fernhurst Road (barely 5 mins walk from Southalls) in 1939, married Gladys Evelyn Cox and moved to Benedon Road sometime before 1955.

There don't appear to be any children. Gladys dies in 1988 and Horace (listed as William) dies in 1994.
MWS, you are correct! Smith + Nephew are headquartered in London and operate globally with 17,500 employees.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
In 1968 I was a young apprentice sent to fix a telephone at Southalls. I remember being pelted with sanitary napkins.

4 generations of my family worked at Southalls. My great great grandfather started there when the Mill( Charford) opened. My great grandfather worked there for 52 years and invented the 'Oates' card assume to program the machines. My grandfather was an Engineering Manager until he died suddenly in 1973. My mum and uncles also worked there until the early 80's.

Back