• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Southall, John

The birth, marriage and 1901 census I posted all point to the Nellie you found with Mary J on the 1891 NOT being the one you want.
Remember in 1890s to early 1900s Handsworth came under Staffordshire with births reg in West Bromwich.
I think either her Father was John or she was illegitimate and gave that name to save face.
Thank you. I didn't know that about Handsworth so thanks. I'm leaning towards illegitimacy as I can't find a record for John Southall (other than Stourbridge which is not my Nellie) . Dead end then though :(

Can I return to the Ellen May Southall, reg Stourbridge daughter of John Southall. In post #4 you said she was married - I can't see any marriage for her prior to 1911 - and her dob was different - have you seen the birth certificate and if so how wrong was it?

This Nellie's sister - Frances Elizabeth - marriage is also registered in Aston. She emigrates in 1927 and I wonder if she gave any contact details.

I've got the name John as Nellie's father from her marriage certificate. However, I have no other information to confirm if this is correct - but then no other information to say it's not. Nellie married a policeman from a well to do family - I may be wrong in amusing Nellie's husband would insist on the correct information being put on the married certificate.

There are 2 possible Stourbridge births

One is Ellen May who I think is the one Alberta says went to Canada. Defintely the daughter of a John
SOUTHALL, ELLEN MAYCOX
GRO Reference: 1888 J Quarter in STOURBRIDGE Volume 06C Page 174

but there is also a Nellie not sure about her Father's name
SOUTHALL, NELLIE NEAL
GRO Reference: 1889 M Quarter in STOURBRIDGE Volume 06C Page 145

Her birthdate as 4th feb 1887 is used twice in her life so I would imagine it to be true., however no Nellie Southall registered in any qtr 1887, One Ellen in Dudley in march 1887.

Just a thought to make life more difficult, could she have been born to a single mother who married a John Southall in the years following her birth , so she put him down as her father on the marriage certificate.

In that case I have no idea.
Made up or, as Alberta said, John was her stepfather and she used his name.

I was hoping that the 1921 census would have birthplace but the search results just give Staffordshire. Maybe it'll be more precise on the actual scan which would give something to go on.

Looking at someone else last night I discovered that if a birthplace is listed as a county on the search results for the 1921 census - as it is for Nellie - that doesn't mean that that is all there is.

I suspect that listing only a county maybe because the place listed doesn't correctly match one. So checking Nellie again her birthplace appears to be listed as Aldburys Staffordshire which could possibly be Oldbury.

Back