• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sounds of Summer

R

Robert Harrison

Beth sat on the box window seat, her chin on her arms as she leaned them on the sill of the open window. She drew in a deep breath, slow and sure so that she could take in all of the scents of the new day. She inclined her head so that she did not miss a note of the song of the blackbird perched in the old apple tree near the front gate, and her heart was melted away with the sounds and smells of all that the world had to offer her. God is in his heaven and all is well with the world she thought.

She heard the old grandfather clock in the hallway strike seven oclock Beth had been up since daybreak but made no noise so as not to wake her mother who slept in the next room. She liked her room, it was her own private domain where she could if so desired escape into her world of music and reading her favourite books, like the one which lay open by her side, it was called The Shell Seekers by Rosamonde Piltcher. She had always loved it ever since she first heard it played on her old tape recorder. Now she had her very own copy signed by the author herself who was a very dear friend of her aunt Matilda.

Stella gave a soft meow and jumped upon the cushioned seat beside Beth. Stella was a tabby cat who had taken up residence a year before when it came to the front door of the house meowing in such a pitiful manner that Beths mother gave it a saucer of milk which the cat greedily lapped up and meowed for more. It then calmly waked into the living room and curled up on the hearthrug near the open fire and promptly when to sleep. That was twelve months ago, and as no one had claimed her she had stayed on as if she had always been part of the family.

Beth adored her and it was she who had named the cat in memory of her grandmother, who had died but twelve months before. When Beth was in the house the two were practically inseparable. There were times when Stella came in the car when Beth and her mother went to town for something, Stella being quite content to sit on the ledge by the rear window and take in all of the sights that seemed to intrigue her, as she made meowing noises every so often.

Beth turned her head towards the cat, which was rubbing its head upon her knee and purring with the pleasure of it, one of its paws was on Beths knee and its claws were just pricking her skin. She picked up the cat and placed it upon the windowsill so that it to could enjoy the view and listen to the sounds and smell the perfume of the garden. No. Stella wanted to smooch and started to rub her head under Beths chin, a quiver went down her back as she did so and her tail stood up straight with just the tip swaying with the pleasure of being near to Beth. She stroked the cat and it responded by arching her back at the shear delight of it and purred all the more loudly.

Now my girl how did you get into my room for I am sure I closed my door last night, you havent learned how to open doors have you.

I am afraid I let her in dear. Beth heard her mother say from the doorway. I did knock but you could not have heard me. Her mother was still dressed in her blue flowered dressing gown with matching slippers. Lucy was a good-looking woman for all of her fifty-one years. She had looked after herself and her trim figure rivalled that of many women half her age. Many and admiring look had been towards her whenever she and Beth were out together. A person would have had to look closely to see the fine lines that gave her age to be more than that of her daughter. After her husband had died four years ago it had been a long time before she had taken Beths advice to go out with one of the many offers she had received from admirers. She had never invited any into her home, she enjoyed their company for the most part, but that was as far as she would allow their relationship to go. The memory of her husband was still strong in her mind and in her heart. Perhaps one day she might marry again, but at the moments she was content with her life with Beth. It was their friendship that she treasured the most.

Lucy walked over to the window and sat on the cushion next to Beth. She tucked her one leg under her and opened the window next to Beths. It is so beautiful this time of the years isnt darling she said as she took in the garden below them. I think that this time of the year is my favourite time of all the months.
Yes it is isnt it answered Beth. The smells and sounds of summer are very where, I think that this is my most favourite seat in the whole house.
It is a beautiful view isnt it Said her mother I sometimes wish that it had been large enough for your father and I, but it was only large enough for you my dear.
Thank you mother said Beth, and she gave her mother a kiss on the cheek. Thank you for everything.

Lucy got up from the window seat Do you want me to take Stella out when I go
No, she might as well enjoy the view from up here. I shall be getting ready soon and we can have breakfast together, besides we have a busy ay in front of us remember
How can I forget said Lucy We have waited a long time for this day, and I am the one who has butter flys in her tummy.
Give me half an hour and I shall be ready, said Beth.

Beth turned back to the window to smell once again the fragrances that wafted up from the garden, then she picked up Stella and placed her on the floor, which did not suit her at all for she promptly took up her position gain on the window sill, her tail moving from side to side as she eyed the Blackbird. Beth could hear the change of tone in her purring and guest what she was thinking. She smiled as she made her way to the bathroom brushing some of the furniture that was openly spaced here and there. It was how Beth liked it, orderly and not cluttered.

After showering Beth made her way down stairs to the cool kitchen where her mother had breakfast waiting for them both, scrambled eggs, field mushrooms, a piece of fried bread each and toast and home made blackberry jam.
Oo, lovely said Beth This should set us both up for the day, well until lunchtime anyway, laughed her mother. We have a busy day in front of us so we will need something nourishing under out belts.

After washing up the two women set to tidying the house, though why we should do so thought Lucy I do know, we hardly ever make a mess of the house. She looked across at her daughter who was carefully moving around the living room, The taxi will be here soon she said, time to get ready.

At half past eleven the taxi arrived to take them to the station. Do you want me to come and pick you up Mrs. Taylor asked the taxi driver.
No I do not think so Harry, not unless we ring the depot to let them know when we shall be arriving back at the station. Very good Mrs. Taylor said Harry as he touched his cap and drove off whistling.

I like Harry said Lucy He is such a happy go lucky chap, did you know that his wife is expecting her ninth child
I had heard, answered Beth I like little Ernest the best, he is such a little darling, did you know that he once told me that he loved me, and the little chap is only five years old.
She smiled at her daughter and inwardly hoped that someday someone nice would come along and ask her to marry him. It had been far to long since she went out with a man her age. Michael was the last young man and he only went out with her once. A mothers boy she thought, no good for my Beth. Secretly she hoped that her daughter would not meet anyone, for even though Lucy could have any man her own age that she chose, even younger in some cases, she much preferred to be with her daughter.

When they got of the train at Birmingham New Street Station they took another taxi to a large but somehow inconspicuous building behind Saint Phillips church. They walked arm in arm up a flight of well-worn stone steps into a cold but not unpleasantly furnished waiting room. There were three other people in the room sitting on comfortable chairs. One, an elderly lady, much older than Lucy smiled and Lucy smiled back. They walked over to a settee and sat down. Beth motioned her head to one side as if trying to listen to something that was being said by the elderly lady and a young man, but only the occasional word could she make out. Words like dog and quickly learn.

After about a quarter of an hour a door opened and an elderly man came towards them. Good afternoon Mrs. Taylor and to you to Beth, how are you both.
Both of us are well Mr. Phillips said Beth to the kindly spoken man.
Do please come in, he said leading them into a well-furnished office. Please have a seat wont you. Well Beth my dear you will be pleased to know that Jep came through the operation without a hitch and he is ready for you to take him home. A door leading off the office opened and in walked a young girl in white being let by a beautiful black Labrador.

Jep gave a joyful bark when he saw Beth and Lucy, but it was Beth he went to. She bent down and let him lick her face. Oh Jep I have missed you so much as she hugged the thick neck that carried a leather harness attached to a short leather bound grip. Beth took hold of the handle and said to Mr. Phillips Thank you for giving me back my eyes.

Note: Sorry about not putting in any of the curly bits when someone speaks but they always seen to turn into the dreaded “THINGIES†See what I mean.

That is a lovely story - I'm glad I was able to read it. Thank you :)

Great story Robert, beautifuly crafted as usual. I do find that associations with places that are known by myself makes the stories stand out for me.
Thanks.

Back