• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sorrento Hospital Nursing Home

Sorrento was, as you say, in Wake Green Road, Moseley; which is about 3 1/2 miles away from Selly Oak Hospital where my sister's birth certificate shows she was actually born.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again, My daughter Stephanie was born at the Sorrento on Primrose day 1955, I still sit and wonder where all those years have gone,to be
honest the place always looked a bit of a dump to me, cheers Bernard

Hello again, My daughter Stephanie was born at the Sorrento on Primrose day 1955, I still sit and wonder where all those years have gone,to be
honest the place always looked a bit of a dump to me, cheers Bernard
Hi Bernard, I went there with my Dad in 1950. I wasn't allowed in the wards so I had to wait by the window of the room my Mum and baby sister were. Dad lifted me up so I could see them thru the window.
The window overlooked a cloistered square with grass and flowers growing. Must have been better maintained then as I thought it looked quite posh, I was a 5 year old brought up in Saltley, which was a dump.

I gave birth to my children in Sorrento in the early 80s.
I was very sorry to hear that it had closed down.

They had the best itu unit in the country for sick babies.
They saved my son who had complications.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi
i was born at the sorrento in march during the bad snow of 1947
the story my dad always told me was that i lost him a fortune on the horses becouse mom was in labour with me ( knowing my dear old dad it was more than likely 5 bob he lost
josie

I've been to the real Sorrento in Italy (Bay of Naples) last year, so whenever I pass Sorrento Court on Wake Green Road, it reminds me of it!

I do remember in the 1990s when the site was derelict houses (of the former hospital).

My father was stationed in Italy during the war at a military placed called Pozzuolli, he absolutely loved Sorrento and The Amalfi Coast, he used to talk about it often. My eldest brother Bruce was born at The Sorrento on March 26th 1948 but sadly died of leukemia in 1950. This year my son and his wife married in Sorrento, Italy and I felt I had a special bond

I was born at the Sorrento at 4 pm on 14 November 1948 - same day as the then Princess Elizabeth gave birth to Prince Charles at 9 pm - according to the Birmingham newspaper there were 4 boys and 2 girls born at the Sorrento that day including a set of twin boys that my mum told me where born a few minutes before 9 and a few minutes after. I wonder where those people who shared by birth place and date are.

My oldest daughter Lindsay was born here on St.David's Day, 1st March 1957 and after leaving here eight days after giving birth I continued to contribute daily to Sorrento's Milk Bank for premature babies. Milk was contained in a mini- fridge provided by the hospital and left out on our front door step for collection every morning and I was paid 3pence for every pint that was donated.

well pat thats the first time i have heard of donating milk for the prem babies...what a splendid idea and made a change from the milkman delivering your milk to your step:)

lyn

Have just seen this posting and if I may would like to add a couple of snippets. My sister Eileen Ansell was born here in 1947 and myself Kathleen Ansell in 1951. My late husband Peter Essex was also born here on 4th July 1948 at 3 minutes to midnight. Try as she did his mother desperately tried to hang on because 1 minute after midnight on 5th July 1948 the NHS was launched and she wouldn't have had to pay. Unfortunately my late husband had other ideas and so pay she did.

I was very proud of the fact that I was born in Sorrento, I was 14 when we passed the building in Moseley and my Mother told me I was born there ..... needless to say all my children were born there. I was told they were special cos they were babies of a Sorrento baby, and my eldest Granddaughter just missed being born there as it closed three days before she was born. We all had to travel to The Women's but as the staff had just transferred it was like being back in Moseley. By the time the next Grand child was born it had all changed ....

My friend's first born child was sadly stillborn in the Sorrento in 1979, does anyone have any idea what would have happened to the babies, someone said they would have been cremated but my friend was never given any information and still wonders about it now.

hello scarlet such a sensitive subject especially as this happened to your friend in modern times...but without wishing to upset do you know if the baby was full term ?..did your friend receive a still born certificate? if so i would have thought a funeral was an option which obviously was not the case...if not full term i have no idea what would have happened and would not like to make a guess...i am just wondering if the records for sorrento still exist..sorry i cant be of more help but maybe other members would know more

lyn

hello scarlet such a sensitive subject especially as this happened to your friend in modern times...but without wishing to upset do you know if the baby was full term ?..did your friend receive a still born certificate? if so i would have thought a funeral was an option which obviously was not the case...if not full term i have no idea what would have happened and would not like to make a guess...i am just wondering if the records for sorrento still exist..sorry i cant be of more help but maybe other members would know more

lyn
Thanks for replying Lyn. The baby was full term, I don't know if a still born certificate was given, I'll be seeing my friend soon and if she seems to want to talk I'll see what I can find out. I could try to find out where the records are, I never thought of that. I think she'd love to know what became of the baby but has never found it easy to talk about.

totally understand how your friend feels scarlet...i am now in a position to contact a midwife who was working at sorento in the 1970s...i have messaged her to see if she can advise..if she gets back to me i will contact you most likely via our private message system

lyn

Last edited:
I've merged several threads to form this one thread on the Sorrento. Reading through this thread it obviously means a lot to many, many people. So here are a couple of photos I've found.

I've also added a missing image to post #38. Viv.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back