• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sorrento Hospital Nursing Home

:angel: I have just discovered from my trip to the UK, that my sister was born at the Sorrento, she was a 'Prem' baby'

Pom :angel:

Hi,
I too would like to get information on this nursing home as I was born there in 1941. I believe that it was in Wakegreen Road, Moseley and that it has been demolished.:(

I was also born at the Sorrento. The Sorrento was 15 Wake Green Rd.

Ann

Hi Ann,
I know I shouldn't ask a lady how old she is but I'm going to - which year were you born?
Chris

Hi Chris,
Don't mind disclosing my age at all. We can hardly change it, can we? I was born at the Sorrento in 1949, my brother in 1947. It has been demolished now.
There are photos of the Sorrento on this site.
Funny I went to Sorrento Italy 2 years ago, because of where I was born, and fell in love with the place. Almost as if I belonged there!

Ann

Hi Ann,
Thank you for being so gracious. I remember my father telling me that he paid the princely sum of £5 (black market) for a bunch of grapes for my mother. When I am asked where I was born I just say Sorrento it sounds so grand!
Chris

Can I add my name to the ist that were born at the Sorrento?
I was born in Sept 7th 1946 and entered this world at 2lb, only just survived!
Pete

Wow Pete, that was realy something to survive such a small weight in 1946. We are so glad you survived though.:)

hi ya,just noticed this thread.
both our children were born at sorrento nursing home,
in 1974 and 1976, my wife,s gynecologist was Mr Mansfield.
We were told we would not be able to have children after
my wife having had TB diagnosed six weeks after we were married,
she spent 3 months in little bromwich / east Birmingham that was
and the rest is history.
we have two healthy sons in there thirties one,s a bank manager,
and the other one works for the local council,so yes we have fond
memories of serrento nursing home,i spent a few hours there
we lived in chelmsley wood at the time but because Mr Mansfield
was there that's were my wife wanted to go.
they called them both wonder children. and we,re proud of
them.
We have two grandchildren and another one expected in
January. happy days regards dereklcg.

Thanks Wendy.
I've made up for it now! The doctor says that I need to loose it now....

When we were expecting our first daughter in at the Sorrento in 1970 I stayed with the wife for 22 hours then went for a smoke and they wouldn't let me back in, I had to wait until she was born and the nurse brought her back, missed it all!

Another fellowess 'Sorrentino' here too. :)I was born there in 1957 & my Mom & Dad hadnt a clue what to name me as they thought I would be a boy (obviously 9 months isn't long enough to think of possible names for girls or boys!!) in which case I would've been 'Andrew'.
When I landed (a hurrumphing 9 or 10lb beast - cant remember which one) my Mom asked one of the nurses what her name was as she was nice to my Mom. Thats how I got my name (Angela) & then my Dad said he wanted to add 'Yvonne' into the mix too.:rolleyes:
I always take great mischievous delight in replying 'oh Sorrento' when asked where I was born........great innit???lol

An old friend of mine , who died in 1980, told me a story about the Sorrento: His father or grandfather was a local councillor and was attending some function at the Sorrento. Seeking to enhance his standing amongst the asssemled worthies he decided to demonstrate the speed with which the Fire Brigade could be roused and on the job. A false alarm call was made and soon the Brigade clanged up. The chief fireman apparently was not too impressed and set about lambasting the boasting local politician in front of the worthies and warned him that he would have him locked-up if he ever pulled such a stunt again!
Trivia I know!

Isn't there a block of apartments now on the site in Wake Green Road? The area has all been scrubbed and cleaned, I believe.

I was born there in the late 50's, fellow Sorrentinos, and my eldest son (now 18) was born there JUST BEFORE it was closed down. It was, by then, in a sorry state, as was that part of Moseley. (There were"working girls" hanging around on the corner, too. LOL!)

My next two sons were born in Solihull.

My Mum always use to tell the tale that whilst returning to Greet after my birth, by black cab, the taxi driver began to whistle"Sorrento" so it was the first tune I ever heard. Oddly enough, whenever I hear it, I get very emotional! Quite daft!

Brummie hugs...Gill :beam::beam::beam:

The owners of Sorrento before it was a Hospital was the Adams family. My mother Nora Gwynne ( 1910 - 2001 ) was related to there coach man Arthur Burton and she told me many times that she would stay there with them. I remember before WW2 we had some large pictures of the stables on the wall in Avon Street but they where lost in the bombing. I worked at a garage just off Wake Green Road after I left school.

My twin daughters (43 years old now) were taken to Sorrento Hospital after being born at my wifes mothers house in Kingstanding, we lived in Burntwood at the time but things never work out as planned. They spent 4 weeks in the hospital, most of the time in incubators, until they were strong enough to come home. Brilliant hospital in my opinion. Goffy

Sorrento was owned by the Adam's family. My mother was related to there coach man and housekeeper Mr Arthur and Mrs Burton. She told me that she spent many days there. We had some large pictures on the wall in Avon Street Sparkhill of the stables but which was lost during the bombing.

Back