• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sorrento Hospital Nursing Home

Can I throw my hat into the ring - I too was born in Sorrento on 14 November 1948 and my birth was on the front page of the Birmingham Evening Dispatch on 15th November as were dozens of other Brummie babies under the heading Birmingham "Royal babies" wait for the name. Yes I share that date of birth with Prince Charles. Would love to know what those other babies are doing now.

Wondering if anyone knew/knows Pauline Duane who used to work at Sorrento 70’s/80’s possibly to its closure in 93...

I've merged several threads to form this one thread on the Sorrento. Reading through this thread it obviously means a lot to many, many people. So here are a couple of photos I've found.

I've also added a missing image to post #38. Viv.

View attachment 115288

View attachment 115289
Yes, the conditions in 1969-70 were dire. Always dodgy getting over to the Nurses Home as you were acosted by men looking for "good time ladies" (it was on Balsall Heath Road) Mums did give breast milk to the Milk Bank. I believe it was the first in the country and developed by "Miss Whittington" the Matron. The cots were "Sorrento" cots, which were then accepted by many Maternity Hospitals as the "norm" We also had a separate block for TB patients. The first baby to survive, born at 29 weeks, was transferred from Stoke and was discharged on the 3rd November 1969 when she should have been full term.

I was born there in 1933 Google roads shows it as an apartment building now?? But a Sorrento park near by????

Last edited:
Has it now been swallowed up by Birmingham Maternity Hospital? I had a quick look on the net, there doesnt seem much about it, although I didnt do any thorough searching. I can remember Carl Chinn having someone on his show, so maybe if you dropped him a line? you could email him perhaps?

Apparantly Carl Chinns latest magazine has a picture or pictures of the Sorrento? He talked about it today, I missed the relevent part of the show. I did hear him mention Miss Hallam the women who was responsible for delivering many babies during the fifties I think. I would definately contact Carl, he was born at the Sorrento, so he would be able to give you some info.

I was born 24/12/1953 at Sorrento and would like to he from anyone who has knowledge of staff etc at this time.

my nephew was born there in 1985 i can remember going to visit him the day he was born

lyn

Does anybody know where the records went for the Sorrento after the closure and can I obtain information from them?

Regards

Ken
Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me I was born in sorrento maternity hospital on February 19 1988 and iv found out they there were another 5 people born on the same day also we all got learning disabilities but I'm trying to trace them as I dont know any names

For anyone born or delivered their children at the Sorrento, this gives a picture of a caring and cosy 1950s small hospital. Ten day stay for mother’s ! The mothers seem very young too. Viv.

2934C800-3305-4241-BAE2-0180BBFCCC29.jpeg1978F762-487A-4A94-883B-97F4FB310D25.jpegC4B4BD3E-7D1A-4F78-A14C-7E18B40A5203.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

So, is there some special reason for us to have been born at Sorrento Hospital?
will have to be checked but as far as i am aware no....there were a few large houses turned into maternity hospitals such as heathfield road and lawnswood..impression i got was that if the purpose built hospitals were full up moms to be were fitted in to the smaller hospitals where spaces were available

lyn

Last edited:
In the 1950s many women were still giving birth at home. My brother and I were both born at home. Going to a maternity hospital to give birth, I believe, wasn’t necessarily the first option in those days. I think delivering in a hospital was more a case of unsuitable home circumstances or conditions. The NHS hadn’t been long in existence too so I guess there must have been very limited places still. Maybe we have former midwives on here who can enlighten us. Viv.

Last edited:
Back