• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sorrento Hospital Nursing Home

A

angeleyes

can anyone tell me much about sorrento hospital as i was born there would really like to know thanks

sorento maternity hospital

Sorento maternity hospital was in Wake Green Road, near to Moseley village.
It has now been converted to flats.
Hope this is some help.

Has it now been swallowed up by Birmingham Maternity Hospital? I had a quick look on the net, there doesnt seem much about it, although I didnt do any thorough searching. I can remember Carl Chinn having someone on his show, so maybe if you dropped him a line? you could email him perhaps?

Apparantly Carl Chinns latest magazine has a picture or pictures of the Sorrento? He talked about it today, I missed the relevent part of the show. I did hear him mention Miss Hallam the women who was responsible for delivering many babies during the fifties I think. I would definately contact Carl, he was born at the Sorrento, so he would be able to give you some info.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you very much rod for your help on sorrento hospital it was very. kind of you i will contact carl. mary

sorrento

sorrento was a pioneering maternity hospital in very inauspicious premises-a large Victorian house with numerous extensions tacked on.
it had a world wide reputation for treating premature babies before this became routine DrMary or Victoria Crosse was the lady responsible for the 'sugar bag babies'. the hospital also set up a human milk bank which became a national service .i think Carl was born there

:angel:

Can anyone recommend a website that has info on this place please? Not getting anywhere with a general search of the web, just keep getting the place of Sorrento.

I'd like to know when it first opened, first birth, that sort of thing. My late older bro was born there many moons ago.

Thanks
timetraveller

:angel:

Thanks cromwell. I don't know that side of Brum but I was told it was in Edgbaston, so presumably it is on the border so to speak. My bro was born there in 1946.
timetraveller

I've been reading some of the your older posting on the Sorrento Hospital.

My father told me, his father ( my grandfather) had a house built and that it turned out to large, it was sold , and became the Sorrento Hospital.

His father (my great grandfather) lived at The Grange, Wake Field Road, on the cencus of 1881. Could the Grange have been turned into the Sorrento Hospital. Is there anyway I can verify that he had it built. Also I would love photo's of the hospital if anyone has any or can tell me where to obtain them.

Grandfather;
Thomas Ashley Ellis
Great grandfather;
Thomas Ellis; retired sheep farmer.

Thanking you. Annie

Hi Annie,and welcome to the site
It was built in 1911 by a William Adams as an institution.
I was born there as many other members of this site, but I also worked there until it was closed in the early 90's.The hospital consisted of a number of purpose built building,and also at least six converted houses,so perhaps one of these was The Grange.
Sorrento was on Wake Green Road,perhaps that was just a typo error on your behalf.

Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
good hope

my brummies were born there what a dump whenmy grandaughter arrivved the curtains were the same as when i gave birth 37 years earlier no hope

Its well known though nationwide I had a girlfriend who worked there in the 60s. :)

I never had my children there but I had friends who did, the building was old but I beleive that the care was excellent.

Thanks to all those that replied; You were right Colin B, it should have read Wake Green Road I had a senior moment; I'll save the information for my journal. They always say ,"There's a bit of truth there somewhere"
Thanks again.
Annie

sorrent

i trained as a nurse at dudleyrd:) (city) hospital in c 1965 and i seem to recall sorrento was in that group. No mrsa then uniforms were washed in the hospital laundry and were never worn other than on duty. All beds were disinfected daily no long fingernails, hair or jewellery were allowed and every day matron inspected every ward Have we progressed

I was never involved with the nursing side,but I know that they had a international reputation for their Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU) and milk bank.
There was still a Matron there then.

Colin

my brummies were born there what a dump whenmy grandaughter arrivved the curtains were the same as when i gave birth 37 years earlier no hope

Margaret silly statement as I know the wards were spotless

Back