• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sorrento Hospital Nursing Home

A

angeleyes

can anyone tell me much about sorrento hospital as i was born there would really like to know thanks

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
sorento maternity hospital

Sorento maternity hospital was in Wake Green Road, near to Moseley village.
It has now been converted to flats.
Hope this is some help.

R

Rod

Has it now been swallowed up by Birmingham Maternity Hospital? I had a quick look on the net, there doesnt seem much about it, although I didnt do any thorough searching. I can remember Carl Chinn having someone on his show, so maybe if you dropped him a line? you could email him perhaps?

Apparantly Carl Chinns latest magazine has a picture or pictures of the Sorrento? He talked about it today, I missed the relevent part of the show. I did hear him mention Miss Hallam the women who was responsible for delivering many babies during the fifties I think. I would definately contact Carl, he was born at the Sorrento, so he would be able to give you some info.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

angeleyes

thank you very much rod for your help on sorrento hospital it was very. kind of you i will contact carl. mary

K

kenh

sorrento

sorrento was a pioneering maternity hospital in very inauspicious premises-a large Victorian house with numerous extensions tacked on.
it had a world wide reputation for treating premature babies before this became routine DrMary or Victoria Crosse was the lady responsible for the 'sugar bag babies'. the hospital also set up a human milk bank which became a national service .i think Carl was born there

T

timetraveller

:angel:

Can anyone recommend a website that has info on this place please? Not getting anywhere with a general search of the web, just keep getting the place of Sorrento.

I'd like to know when it first opened, first birth, that sort of thing. My late older bro was born there many moons ago.

Thanks
timetraveller

T

timetraveller

:angel:

Thanks cromwell. I don't know that side of Brum but I was told it was in Edgbaston, so presumably it is on the border so to speak. My bro was born there in 1946.
timetraveller

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie Admin' Team
:angel: I have just discovered from my trip to the UK, that my sister was born at the Sorrento, she was a 'Prem' baby'

Pom :angel:

C

calcbird

Hi,
I too would like to get information on this nursing home as I was born there in 1941. I believe that it was in Wakegreen Road, Moseley and that it has been demolished.:(

A

Ann B

I was also born at the Sorrento. The Sorrento was 15 Wake Green Rd.

Ann

C

calcbird

Hi Ann,
I know I shouldn't ask a lady how old she is but I'm going to - which year were you born?
Chris

A

Ann B

Hi Chris,
Don't mind disclosing my age at all. We can hardly change it, can we? I was born at the Sorrento in 1949, my brother in 1947. It has been demolished now.
There are photos of the Sorrento on this site.
Funny I went to Sorrento Italy 2 years ago, because of where I was born, and fell in love with the place. Almost as if I belonged there!

Ann

C

calcbird

Hi Ann,
Thank you for being so gracious. I remember my father telling me that he paid the princely sum of £5 (black market) for a bunch of grapes for my mother. When I am asked where I was born I just say Sorrento it sounds so grand!
Chris

bilsat

master brummie
Can I add my name to the ist that were born at the Sorrento?
I was born in Sept 7th 1946 and entered this world at 2lb, only just survived!
Pete

W

Wendy

Wow Pete, that was realy something to survive such a small weight in 1946. We are so glad you survived though.:)