• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sorrennto No. 3

A

angeleyes

sorrento hospital

i does anyone have any pictures of sorento hospital please thank you mary hello to all you lovely people. x

Hi Angeleyes,if you return to the main menu and search "Sorrento you will find a number of posts regarding Sorrento including one of the few photos I have seen of this hospital as posted by Cromwell in post 113.Despite been connected with this hospital for about 10 years I never thought of taking photos at that time,now of course, its closed and converted to apartments and new built housing

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2867&page=3&highlight=sorrento

Colin

Sorrento

Hello Angeleyes,
I Have A Nice Picture Of The Sorrento Hospital In Moseley. I Am Going To Try To Attach It Here. Bear With Me Though As I Am New To The Forum And Am Only Just Getting The Hang Of It.
On The Site Of The Old Sorrento Hospital Now Is A Block Of Flats, I Believe Called "sorrento Court." The Old Hospital Was Threatened With Closure For Many Years And Eventually They Pulled It Down Along With The Nurses Quarters Which Stood Near To The Corner Of Wake Green & Anderton Park Roads. Can Anyone Tell Me When The Hospital Was Demolished?

Moselian

Moselian,thats a photo I haven't seen before,many thanks for posting it.As I said in my earlier post I did work at Sorrento,and I think it would have been 1992-93 that I was involved in de-commissioning the site.I am attempting to contact a couple of guys that had worked there for many years to see if they can supply any further information.

Colin

Sorrento

HELLO COLIN B.
I HAVEN'T COME ACROSS THAT MANY DIFFERENT PICTURES OF THE SORRENTO, BUT THIS IS ONE OF THE CLEARER ONES. I REMEMBER IT BEING DEMOLISHED ALONG WITH THE NURSES QUARTERS, BUT I CANNOT REMEMBER WHAT YEAR IT WAS, EXCEPT THAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE EARLY 90s. IF YOU CAN FIND OUT ANY EXACT DETAILS I'D BE PLEASED TO HEAR.
MOSELIAN

:cool:When I click the link from my BHF message I get a blank page.

On the other hand, I just Googled - Sorrento Hospital Moseley - and got it. It is the 4th item with words:
'Sorrento was a large house built in Wake Green Road . . .'

Good luck. My apologies if you have already spotted it.

Lord Richard:cool:

Thanks Lord Richard; I am not sure if I have come across this one but I will definately check it out.
Regards Moselian

Thanks Lord Richard; I am not sure if I have come across this one but I will definately check it out.
Regards Moselian

Dear Moselian

The page I referred you to has two photos of the Hospital. One is identical, I think, to the one you posted. The other is quite different. The page also gives quite an interesting outline of the various uses the building was put to before its demise in 1993.

I was born there, and some 19 years later when I was engaged for a brief time to a nurse, she applied for a job there, to be in the same area as me. I don't recall whether she was offered the job. She had been working at the main Leeds Hospital, and went on to work at Gt Ormond Street Hospital in London. I guess the Sorrento had quite a reputation back then, as quite a prestigious place for a young nurse to work.

Take care

Lord Richard:cool:

Back