• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Some old street maps of Birmingham

I was looking at the map of Camp Hill, ( I used to go to Waverley Grammar School, which took over the building that used to be King Edwards). It looks like there was a roundabout there, I can’t quite make out the road to the right of Camp Hill, it looks like something Lane. Can anybody help ?
Hi there . That would be Sandy Lane, now completely subsumed into Bordesley Middleway.
The NLS map site is very useful for this: try this link

Hi. I too went to Waverley and spent two years at Camphill in the early 1960's. l used to travel. from Small Heath by bus and get off and walk up Sandy Lane. It was from the Coventry Rd to
the junction of Camphill, Stratford Place and the Stratford Road. The school was on the left facing this junction and facing the Ship Inn (Prince Rupert's HQ in the civil war) at the top of the hill. Although I left the Midlands in the 70's l still have my A to Z Street Atlas from the early 60s which clearly shows the roads and the school. Hope this helps.

On the map-Looking at Belmont Row... opp where lock keepers cottage were/are there was a side road where my grandparents lived on the corner, 50 Belmont Row, but not shown on ur map..wondered if the road was created after the map was drawn up by removing houses to make way?-looking at pic you can see the road on the left.

Attachments

• belmont row view.jpg
    belmont row view.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 64
On the map-Looking at Belmont Row... opp where lock keepers cottage were/are there was a side road where my grandparents lived on the corner, 50 Belmont Row, but not shown on ur map..wondered if the road was created after the map was drawn up by removing houses to make way?-looking at pic you can see the road on the left.
Thanks for the picture of Belmont Row. I lived just before there in Gopsal Street. That was my route to Windsor Primary School. Could the side road be Pitt Street. I think we passed metal gates .
(as a protection from the canal)? My mom was a friend of the lady who lived in the tall house opposite. It still stands today.
Thank you again, so many memories.

hello susan i have just sent you a few lines on the other page i dont no how to work this system out just yet i clicked a button and here you are you. are right it is pitt street and on the other corner with lawley street was jacksons coal yard

Thanks Mikey - my parents were from Sherbourne Rd & Leopold St, plus relative all over - Kynaston Buildings, Orchard Rd etc. Great to see them on the Nat Library of Scotland site - what's still there & what has gone...

Could someone please tell me where abouts lupin St in Aston is? Or what's now built on it?... Or what it's called now

there is a map on here lupin st map

Back