• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Some old pictures of Birmingham canals

If I read the bridge number correctly this is bridge 87 and a quick Google says Bath Row Bridge No 87 Worcester & Birmingham canal along side old branch line track bed that came off at Five Ways Station to Holiday Street Good Depot. (long since gone).

View attachment 160838
I think this bridge is the Granville Street Bridge, the Bath Row bridge is an arched brick bridge.

The "interesting curve on the canal image" shows the Davenports Brewery
Looking towards Granville Street, When the railway was first built as a branch from Kings Norton, there was a station behind the wall called Granville Street.

I am again at a loss of the location - but if we use the previous picture a s a clue , we have canal, old branch line and current line into New Street, so I feel this is Five Ways directionView attachment 160839
If that is Bath Row bridge then the line and canal run parallel to Communication Row and Holiday Street right down to the old goods yard at junction of suffolk st. and Holiday St. There was 3 train lines on different levels back in the 1950,s but I think the high level wasn,t used then. The lower level was the main line into New st. station, used to sit on the wall to watch for the Devonian express when I was trainspotter and get choked in smoke and fumes as it went underneath. I think the middle level was for the sidings at the old goods depot. Beyond the high level was the canal and then Davenports brewery and the Accident hospital.
Happy days.

Bratch Locks were built for James Brindley as a proper staircase of 3 locks. They were reconstructed by Thomas Dadford with the short side pounds.

Back