• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : Newspaper Archive new issues of local journals

Just for information, as it is not local, but the Archive is expanding its scope. Recently they have extended their Irish section considerably, and now added some early issues of the Times of India. I would have preferred extra local papers, but no doubt these will come, and, if anyone is looking at India for some reason , then this may be of use to them

On a light, non-Brummie note, for those older members (even older than me) who would like to remember their youth the archive as just added issues for 1940-42 and 1946-48 of Reveille

The exact coverage of newspapers in the archive is sometimes difficult to gauge. For example if you look at the /birmingham Post the site will say that coverage is 1857-1979. however that does not mean that every issue in that period is covered, and sometimes whole years are missing. the archive has just announced that it has added issues for 1899. On checking, it would seem that they now have all of July, August & September , though no others yet for that year

Further issues of the Kinematograph Weekly
Issues
Pages
Available years
1904-1925, 1927-1944, 1946-1947, 1953-1960

For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
  • 1904–07 Optical Lantern and Kinematograph Journal.
  • 1907–19 Kinematograph and Lantern Weekly (London, England : 1907)
  • 1919–59 The Kinematograph weekly.
  • 1959–60 Kine Weekly (London, England : 1959)
This newspaper is published by an unknown publisher in London, London, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Oct 21, 2020 29 days ago . The latest issues were added in Nov 19, 2020

Some early (1854-57) issues of the Bromsgrove Gleaner have been added this week. The link below shows some of the items in them:

Some new issues of the Wolverhampton Express & star added this week 1899 & 1911.

But also issues of a local publication I have never heard of before
Harborne Herald1877, 1879, 1883-1891, 1893-1895, 1897-1899

Mike,

I browsed a few of the Harborne Herald and a lot of the stuff overflows into Birmingham. It seems another interesting source.

Maurice :cool:

It actually appears as the Harborne Herald and Edgbaston (sometime Smethwick Times or District News) Times.

Last edited:
And not quite as interesting as I thought it might be as quite a lot of it merely regurgitates the national & international news already appearing in better known titles. Currently it starts with issue 25 in 1877, so it remains to be seen whether the earlier issues are added.

Maurice :cool:

Back