• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Online Gutenberg Library: Some conditions of child life in england

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is not directly concerned particularly with birmingham . but was " A Paper read by Rev. Benjamin Waugh at the Meeting of the Baptist Union, Thursday, October 10, 1889, at Birmingham" and was later issued as a pamphlet by the NSPCC. It was just become available online through Gutenburg at https://www.gutenberg.org/files/31888/31888-h/31888-h.htm . I would say that it is rather upsetting in parts, but you do seem to still read of this sort of thing in the papers even today.
Mike

very interesting mike, and horrific of course. thankfully its very rare today but as you say it still happens :(

It makes horrific reading Mike, thankfully child cruelty is not on such a scale today, but only recently there has been the sad cases of BABY P, and Khyra Izak here in Birmingham being starved to death under the noses of the Social Services and Education Dept., despite the teachers at the school she and her siblings attended doing their best to get action, which if taken could have saved her.

Some of the story's in the last few years concerning the murder and torture of these poor little souls, begger's believe I think there is more undiscovered and unreported. It is still alive and thriving in 2010 Britain.

1889 And it makes you think,how much have things changed,a few weeks ago a couple appeared in court charged with starving their child to death,she had been seen by Drs Social workers,teachers had shown interest,and yet she died,The boy referred to as baby P had been seen by Social workers Drs,and yet he died,They don't die or get beaten in cold cellars, or bedrooms with no curtains, but still 100yrs on,what has changed

Back